D&D 3E/3.5 Teleport: 3e vs 3.5

Remathilis

Legend
So Our First Revised Spells have come out, Teleport and Greater Teleport (Teleport without Error) Lets Look at the revisions

The major difference seems to be that teleport is no longer "global". That is, the distance is now roughly 900 miles at minimum level.

Greater Teleport now is needed for global travel, but extra-planar is out of the question (Which makes more sense for spells like Plane Shift, and removes the "demons can't teleport home" restriction.)

Well my members of the Wayfarer's Guild, what do you think?

[EDIT: MILES, not FEET]

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
Anthony Valterra* has already said those posted spells are old versions, and aren't correct. Andy Collins said much the same thing on his message boards, IIRC. So the final versions might be similar, they might be completely new, or they might be more (or exactly) like the old un-revised spells. Only WotC (and anyone they've shared info with) knows for sure.

*Boy, I hope I spelled his name correctly. :eek:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
assuming the final version is similar, I'm ok with it. D-door is only 1 level lower and this would make it scale with d-door a bit beter IMO. Still other than travel purposes, once you get past a couple hundred feat the escape uses of teleport are the same whether its infinite distance or 900'.(and I'm not sure I like travel anywhere in the world at 9th level)

This also would make the S/B/T routine a higher level tactic for which I'd be happy.

So this revision I think I'd like, thugh it hasn't been a burning issue for me so I wont be doing a happy dance or anything.

edit, why was I thinking feet. Oi, anyway 900 miles is still huge and alwas insane travel anyays though it may limit some B/S/T action but not much of it.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Remathilis said:
Greater Teleport now is needed for global travel, but extra-planar is out of the question (Which makes more sense for spells like Plane Shift, and removes the "demons can't teleport home" restriction.)

This wouldn't be a change. The current version of Teleport and Teleport with Error do not allow extraplanar travel anyway.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
S/B/T is easily limited: Scry only shows the target, not the target and his surroundings. Hence you can't teleport there from a simple scry...

Petrosian

First Post
to me the best change was the 1/3 creature rule. makes it a lot easier to use in play.

The range limit is an unneded complexity. i dont really want to figure exact mileage between my cities. i will simply ignore that part of the spell if it somehow survives their revision. The game mechanic teleport solves is long range strategic movement. Why make that take up more of your precious game time than necessary?

dcollins

Explorer
Saeviomagy said:
S/B/T is easily limited: Scry only shows the target, not the target and his surroundings. Hence you can't teleport there from a simple scry...

This doesn't have any support in the rules. In fact, it's contradicted by the existing teleport description which says a location can count as "studied carefully" if you've "used other means (such as scrying) to study the place".

Remove ads