• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General [+] Tell me about Greyhawk

RedSquirrel

Explorer
Am I right to infer that Golarion has a lot in common with GH? Because a lot of these descriptions sound like Golarion.
[Well, phooey. Just finished reading the whole thread. It seems I'm not the first to say this.]

There's a lot of people who (years ago) used to refer to Golarion as "Greyhawk 2.0".
Erik Mona is a big Greyhawk fan, and before he was a pro (in the 90s), he was the Editor of the Oerth Journal magazine, dedicated to the World of Greyhawk.
Erik has said (in a Dragon magazine editorial, I believe) that the Land of the Linnorm Kings was based on stuff he'd originally wanted to do in GH. And I think the River Kingdoms were reminiscent of the ... Bandit Kingdoms. (I think?)

Anyway, TL;DR—Yes. Golarion can certainly be seen as having a lot of similarities to Greyhawk.

Voadam

Legend
[Well, phooey. Just finished reading the whole thread. It seems I'm not the first to say this.]

There's a lot of people who (years ago) used to refer to Golarion as "Greyhawk 2.0".
Erik Mona is a big Greyhawk fan, and before he was a pro (in the 90s), he was the Editor of the Oerth Journal magazine, dedicated to the World of Greyhawk.
Erik has said (in a Dragon magazine editorial, I believe) that the Land of the Linnorm Kings was based on stuff he'd originally wanted to do in GH. And I think the River Kingdoms were reminiscent of the ... Bandit Kingdoms. (I think?)

Anyway, TL;DR—Yes. Golarion can certainly be seen as having a lot of similarities to Greyhawk.
There are a couple more Greyhawk Golarion parallelisms too. :)

RedSquirrel

Explorer
Very cool and VERY informative, thank you! Although the links for the physical and support pages throw up huge warnings on mobile and won't let me load them :(
Not your problem, I know 😅
Not for nothing ... but, it looks like someone from the OJ saw your post. The crowdfunding links were removed and direct contact was inserted. 😉
1716393283034.png

Remove ads