The 96th Annual Academy Awards (Sunday, 3/10/24)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
One change I really liked about the Oscars this year was having someone talk about the performances rather than give an 8-second clip from the movie. It was most effective for the Supporting Actress, I think ,where it felt like the women speaking on behalf of the nominees knew them and liked them as people. (Less so with the men.).

I've not seen any discussion of that change; I hope it stays.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Ha. It's the bit they cut out of YouTube clips, because after the event people just wasnt to see acceptance speeches, and losers don't matter. But it would be what was clipped out at 0:19 here.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
One change I really liked about the Oscars this year was having someone talk about the performances rather than give an 8-second clip from the movie. It was most effective for the Supporting Actress, I think ,where it felt like the women speaking on behalf of the nominees knew them and liked them as people. (Less so with the men.).

I've not seen any discussion of that change; I hope it stays.
Agreed.

For those who didn't see the show or clips of this: for the Best and Best Supporting Actor and Actress awards, they had 5 previous winners of the award come out on stage to announce each of the five new nominees and describe their work in the role they were nominated for, speaking directly to the nominee in the audience. Last year's winner was in the center, and did the intro, and then got to announce the new winner, and once the winner come up on stage got to hand the Oscar to them.

I thought was a really neat way to do it, and I'd like to see more of this approach.
I would have liked to see a clip also though. Show and tell!
Agreed! I feel like there used to be more and longer clips, and now they're really short and perfunctory.

335655186_889981655446626_7860439620457164460_n.jpg

Agreed! I feel like there used to be more and longer clips, and now they're really short and perfunctory.

I actually prefer the shorter clips. If I've seen the movie, I don't really need the reminder beyond a basic quick shot. If I haven't seen the movie, longer clips are meaningless without minutes worth of context. So I'd rather the time be spent on other things (or, heaven forbid, a shorter ceremony altogether).

Of course, the Oscars have changed a lot over the years...

Remove ads