• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Fable of the Flaming Cellist--or Do You Say Yes to Player Innovation?

Rystil Arden

First Post
When a player comes up with something creative that is a bit sketchy but fairly creative, do you usually say 'Yes'? I often do--my rule of thumb is "Yes if it makes the game more fun. No if it makes the game less fun."

Last session, this led to the incident that we shall forever remember as "The Flaming Cellist". The low-level group was beset by a Vampire, starting with his three bat swarms. They didn't have anything that could hurt the swarms except the Wizard, and the crazy pyromaniac bard had been stalking an NPC who was trying to use the bathroom, so he was out of the fight for the start. The others were trying to beat back the bats, and the Wizard managed to disperse one swarm quickly and almost got another eventually, but the Vampire himself proved trouble. With a series of bad Will saves, the Cleric and one of the Druids were both dominated. The other Druid forgot that he had Entangle prepared. Either way, nobody had magic or silver, let alone magic and silver. So, with two members dominated, the rogue wasting three rounds to try to make a UMD check with the party's wand of cure light wounds and then getting knocked out, the Wizard in deadly peril in melee flanked by the Vampire and the dominated Cleric and counting on his AC 20 (Shield and Mage Armour) to save him from certain doom, and the last Druid about to get Entangled by the dominated Druid, the Bard heads back and looks for a torch to take care of the bats.

The party has none. So he casts...Summon Instrument. He summons a cello and lights it on fire. The halfling Druid uses the fire to melt silver onto the stones he has just enchanted with the Magic Stone spell--silver and magic now. Then the Bard wields the flaming cello as an improvised weapon. Swing! I give him Torch damage against the bats and he kills the last swarm. Then he grabs the wand of CLW and charges it on his way over to the Wizard but doesn't expend the charge. Meanwhile, the Wizard coordinates his last spells against the Vampire that he hopes will coincide with a hit from the Halfling's stones, but the Halfling misses with all of them and the Wizard goes down. So the Bard heads over and asks to dual-wield the charged wand of CLW and the Flaming Cello (cello versus the last near-dead swarm, wand versus the vampire). I allow him to do this with the full penalties (-4 for the cello being an mprovised weapon, and the full penalties for two weapons without the TWF feat). He rolls a 20 followed by a 19 with the cello (a crit due to the swarm's terrible AC) and another 20 on the wand (didn't confirm but didn't matter--its an undead). The vampire gasps at the positive energy as the bats disperse. Fortunately for the vampire, the halfling's incompetence allowed it to Fast Healing a bit, so the Bard drops the cello (which vanishes) and fights the vampire to the death with the CLW wand (an unlikely proposition, considering that the vampire's Fast Healing is 5 per round and the CLW wand averages 4.5, but the vampire was almost at 0 to start with thanks to the Wizard/Druid tagteam).

If I hadn't allowed the crazy idea with the flaming cello and the wand, the party would have all been enslaved by the vampire, but as it is, the Bard (yes, the Bard!) became the hero of the night, and the game was more fun for all!

So tell me a story about when you bent the rules to allow a tactic like this--or tell me why you wouldn't allow it.

jasin

Explorer
Copy & paste from what I posted on another forum...

Reynard d'Lyrandar, my character in an off again on again Eberron game just got his first windwright captain level and an airship!

We went to Valenar on a Lyrandar-owned airship to investigate some rumours of elven racial supremacists preparing an expedition to Xen'drik in search of an artifact of great power. Our ship got confiscated, but we found out about a secret airship tower out in the desert and with the liberal use of change self, glibness, suggestion and a bunch of papers with explosive runes on them, we managed to hijack the Valenar airship.

However, the elemental bound into the airship was acting strangely (not really bound, more like it was just there of its own will, so it wasn't keen on taking orders) so we went picking at the ships insides to see if we can figure out what's going on. But in a combination of over-inquisitiveness, falling victim to traps, and bad luck, we ultimately managed to rip out the dragonshard and drop it out of the flying airship, leaving us with a floating, but nearly stationary, up in the air.

But in the best manner of the crew of Serenity and other adventurer-sailors, we jury-rigged a crap but working drive: we streched the canvas cover from the land cart over the airship's (now vacant) pylons as a makeshift sail and my wind's favour dragonmark provided us with a directable 30 mph wind for 6 hours/day. And then we realized that the artificer was just the right level to craft a lesser planar binding scroll and call a Medium elemental.

Now this is (by my standards at least) a very loose game, where whether things work has more to do with whether everyone seems to think it makes sense at the time or would be fun to play out as it does with whether the rules say it should work. Which is not really my preferred style in theory, but more and more I'm finding that how you get on with the people in the game is more important that if you really agree in play styles.

So our binding worked! Since it was a Medium elemental rather than Huge, and since the binding was improvised, we were slower than a fully functional airship, but now we could fly and steer. Destination: Zilargo!

We had a bunch of documents detailing the elves' secret airship towers and other military intelligence, so after pointing out that the elven racists especially had it in for the gnomes, we traded the planes for repairs to the ship, and now we're off to Xen'drik after the Nazis elves!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ah, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about--I'll bet that game was much more fun than if the GM had just ruled that you couldn't make it move because you lost the engine. I like to follow the RAW most of the time, but sometimes bending a bit for cool ideas makes the game a lot more fun for only a small compromise.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads