D&D 5E The Mechanics of A Fantasy Space Opera

S'mon

Legend
Use the DMG stats for SF weapons. You don't absolutely need any new SF Skills though I'd be tempted to have Piloting & Engineering skills. Maybe just add an Engineers' Tools proficiency for repairs and have ship AC modified by pilot Dexterity & Proficiency Bonus, ship to-hit based off gunner ranged attack bonus. For space opera, treating space ships as sea ships makes sense - https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_ShipsSea.pdf

Edit: I'd explain magic as psychic powers and treat them interchangeably the way the super hero genre treats everything. :)

Especially because such a galaxy would also have magic wands.

So you want mechanically distinct, and yet simultaneously generic magitech items that work natively in D&D Beyond.....😜

Ray Guns can be more like bows that use single use items as ammunition. Ray Guns could be single use items...like finding a bundle of 3 Scorching Ray scrolls....use it 3 times and done.
Take the base items and mod until it feels right for you.

Does DDB has a homebrew option?

Otherwise I will suggest Mongoose Traveller. 😀

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Also, to the OP:

So, the question I have is, what mechanics can facilitate all this, sticking to mostly stock 5e D&D, with as little homebrew as possible. I want to be able to make characters in dndbeyond for this.
Have you checked out Arcana of the Ancients?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Use the DMG stats for SF weapons. You don't absolutely need any new SF Skills though I'd be tempted to have Piloting & Engineering skills. Maybe just add an Engineers' Tools proficiency for repairs and have ship AC modified by pilot Dexterity & Proficiency Bonus, ship to-hit based off gunner ranged attack bonus. For space opera, treating space ships as sea ships makes sense - https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_ShipsSea.pdf

Edit: I'd explain magic as psychic powers and treat them interchangeably the way the super hero genre treats everything. :)
Great ideas. We probably will treat Vehicles (Sea, Air) as “piloting”, and I wanted to just make Tinker Tools cover most Mechanics type stuff, but I have a co-GM who already hates that SWSE has 1 skill for vehicle mechanics, rigging explosives, building a bridge, and building a better laser gun.
The plan is to just have magic, because it’s a fantasy space opera, and literal space wizards works fine for that.
Also, to the OP:

Have you checked out Arcana of the Ancients?

I haven’t! I am interested, but my money has been focused on other things lately.

Laurefindel

Legend
My regular group has begun a project to create a galaxy in which we can play a fantasy space opera, inspired by Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Flash Gordon, Titan AE, Treasure Planet, and others. We aren’t looking for science fiction hardness, or the ultra-weird or spelljammer, and we aren’t really worried about making sure that everything D&D has a home in the galaxy.

(...)

So, the question I have is, what mechanics can facilitate all this, sticking to mostly stock 5e D&D, with as little homebrew as possible. I want to be able to make characters in dndbeyond for this.

Refluffing does work, and it needs to if you want to stick with most stock 5e D&D as you say. If you need to, Copy-Paste the SRD, search-replace a bunch of key words, make it work for you and your group. Even magic. Especially magic. That's if you want stick with most stock 5e D&D at any case.

After all, as Phillip K. Dick Arthur C. Clarke (gees 'findel) said, "any sufficiently refluffed magic is indistinguishable from technology". Well, kind of...

Remove ads