The Primal Codex

Razuur

First Post
Hey!

Has anyone out there purchased this?

How good is it?

It is by Netherland games I believe. It looks pretty meaty.

Its price is a little high for a PDF.

Any info would be appreciated.

Razuur

Razuur

First Post
What didn't they like about it? It sounds like a lot of cool stuff for the GM to introduce.

Did you find it worth the $10?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I bought it a few weeks back. It is a collection of optional rules mostly designed for a primitive or wilderness setting. The pieces are independent, so you can use as much (or as little) as you like.

I liked some of the skills section; some good mechanics on how knowledge (monsters) can work, and quite an expanded set of uses for profession (herbalist).

One of the strengths of the book is its treatment of poisons and diseases. Poisonous plants are given d20 definitions, and there is a lot of detail- what plants a poisonous plant might be misidentified as, for instance.

The Primal Codex defines a whole lot of conditions in d20 terms; nausea, sore throat, drowsiness, headaches (of various intensities) and so on. It allows a more detailed description of the symptoms of poisoning or disease.

I liked the section on wilderness traps. The Craft (Trap-making) DC's are there, and the DC's to spot and disarm them. The damage they do, the time it takes to make them- and well-illustrated, too. Lots of ideas that you as a DM can inflict on your players. If you liked Traps and Treachery, you'll like this section.

Some bits, like rules for fighting in water are kind of nice. Others (descriptions of different execution methods) are kind of disturbing.

Weapons, armor and equipment for a pre-historic setting, new classes (huntsman, brawler, shaman, witch doctor) and lots of new spells and monsters. Magic items too, of course.

Many of the spells are logical extensions of existing spells (variations of Ray of Enfeeblement, for instance, which affects different ability scores) or which impose a condition on someone (a spell to make someone exhausted, for instance.)

The monsters are great if you want to create an African or South American feel to your campaign. Or if you need stats for a fox or antelope or hippopotamus or something. It would be nice if there were pictures of the fantastic monsters, though.

It's a big book, and there is a lot of material. I think I touched on the main points of interest.

enrious

Two questions for you:

1) How many pages?

2) Do you think you could use the material contained within to setup a Lost World or 1930's South America adventure setting for Pulp Heroes type campaigns?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
It's 123 pages long. Of which the first page is an illustrated cover, and the last page is the OGC license.

It does not provide a setting- you won't find cities or religions in the book. But you do find neanderthals.

I would imagine that if you wanted to do a lost world 1930's theme, you would need some rules for firearms and such.

If you have these things, then Primal Codex would be quite helpful.

enrious

Ah, sorry if I wasn't more clear - I'm thinking about doing some Pulp Heroes adventures which has all of the 1930 style rules, I'm just looking for D20 jungle/primative rules to cover the natives.

Thanks for your reply!

Remove ads