• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Prisoner 2009

Came across a TP with a followup to the Prisoner with Patrick Mcgoohan from sixties although set in the present day. This is the second attempt at continuing the story via this medium that I am aware of. The first was in the eighties and although it had the 'cold war' mentality it was very well drawn and thought provoking.

Anyways it left me rewatching and googling and I came across a series from 2009 from AMC that starred the lead from Person of Interest Jim Caviezel. It was quite a different take on the original, not precisely what I had hoped for.

I think that an updated version of the Prisoner that examined some of the more pervasive tropes of our time would be quite entertaining.

I noticed how quaint some of the 'bogeymen' from the 60s and even early 2000s Prisoner were. The writers of these shows and authors of these books were imaginative but in no way could they have predicted that many of the ills they 'exposed as pernicious and below the surface' are just a part of accepted life in the 2010s.

Some topics that could be explored in a new Prisoner: Media influence on politics. Influence by corporations on politics. Extreme idealism as accepted politics. Surveillance accepted and paid for by consumers for interests other than safety. The commercialization and monetization of virtually everything human. The shift to an extreme consumption economy. The confusion that exists over nationalism.

What other topics would be timely?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
While those are certainly interesting and timely topics, they don’t necessarily mesh well with the central conceit of the original plot: that the Prisoner is a “retired” spy, and someone wants the info in his head...and looking-glass permutations upon that premise.

Those issues you raise would be tangential at best to someone who went through a lot of trouble to capture, imprison, and repeatedly interrogate a foreign agent.

Remove ads