The Witcher (Spoilers)

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Ciri is suppose to be 12, so the Bards only a decade or so older than when he first appears.
the show runners however did say that child Geralt was taken to become a Witcher 95 years before present and that Yennefer is a couple of decades older

It doesn't hurt that witchers age very slowly (current natural lifespan is unkown, no witcher has ever died of old age), and Geralt more so due to some additional mutations.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Even my son that isn't into fantasy enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next seasons. Good mix of fantasy and character.

ccs

41st lv DM
With no other prior Witcher experience (other than knowing it's a well liked book & PC/console game series + now an RPG) I was entertained.

At first I didn't realize that the storylines were happening decades apart. When I did though I was like: "Oh, they're doing the CW Arrow thing. Ok, got it. They're world building (a bit poorly?) for those of us with zero Witcher xp. It'll all link up in episode 7 or 8 and then the real story can get going in Season Two" (wich I already knew was planned).

It wasn't the best show I've ever watched, but far from bad. I found it more entertaining than several later seasons of GoT....
I imagine I'll watch Season Two.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I've read the English translation of the first two books and a few episodes into the series so can offer some insight.
The books are also very collection of (very) loosely linked short stories feel, but those stories are all about geralt. The series cuts out a great deal of the development of those stories but manages to feel more cohesive despite focusing on seemingly random other stories so much of that you only learn third hand by thing's people mention in discussion. Chronologically things are very different

Also... The English translation is not good

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
A question. Is the Witcher's world our own in the far future?

No. Back story is effectively its a fantasy world full of elves, dwarves, gnomes and halflings. No"monsters" as such. A rift deposited humans, and monsters, into this world 1500ish years ago. Humans become the dominant species of the world in short order.

Ciri is the last in a line of powerful magic users. Among her abilities, eventually, is being able to shift between worlds.

Remove ads