They pull me back in! (SW is the Godfather of my RPG)

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
I think we've all been there. Or at least I try to delude myself into thinking so. I like to play other RPGs. I've tried recently FFG Star Wars, Modiphius STA, and played D&D5e online fairly consistently. But... Everytime I start daydreaming about RPGs or look at a program and think: "Hey, that'd make a cool RPG.", my mind immediately goes to Savage Worlds. I find it so easy to run and adapt. I know it's not a favorite of everyone and some actively hate it, but...

Savage Worlds is my Godfather RPG. Just when I thought I was out, it pulls me back in.

What's yours? and Why?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

innerdude

Legend
I love Savage Worlds, but I don't know if it's my "Godfather" RPG. After 7+ years of running and playing Savage Worlds 95% of the time, I was actually ready for a change.

I will say, it is by far the best of the more "traditional" RPGs I've ever played. More than any other system, it gave me the play experience I had always hoped for but had never been able to get out of BECMI and 3.5.

To me, when done right, Savage Worlds "feels" the way a good game of BECMI between levels 2-7 should feel---fast, free-wheeling, adventurous, yet the PCs never lose their fear of mortality. Combat death is always a threat, even at higher experience levels. On top of that, the system is significantly more flexible and consistent than BECMI, and the fact that it easily transitions between settings/genres is a tremendous benefit as well.

However, if I were to ever actually have a "Godfather" RPG, it would be Burning Wheel. I've never played it, and will probably never be able to convince my group to try it (even if I did, I don't think it suits at least 2 of the 5 group members' personalities). But reading through the rules, it gives a very clear sense of the kind of play it aspires to, and man does it resonate with me.

If I ever found a group that really grasped and connected with what Burning Wheel is trying to do, I'm pretty sure it would be my ultimate RPG.

**Edit: The other system I've stumbled across recently that I could find myself deeply falling in love with is Spellbound Kingdoms. Now saving my pennies to invest in the PDF + print on demand from DriveThruRPG.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
I don't have one...
I enjoy different games for different feels, and dislike poor fits.

The closest are games for specific genres...
Prime Directive 1 for classic Trek feel, even as its timeline diverges, and that's liberating.
FFG SW for Star Wars.
Burning Wheel generates a really interesting, tolkien-influenced feel... great for short campaigns. I want to play more of it, but people get scared by the gold brick.
Mouse Guard really rocks the anthro and medieval feel, while being, despite Luke's claims otherwise, Burning Wheel Light.
Firefly for story driven space opera.
Marvel Heroic and Sentinel Comics for supers.
Battle Born/Era Ten for marine drop troop in silly mode.

pemerton

Legend
if I were to ever actually have a "Godfather" RPG, it would be Burning Wheel. I've never played it, and will probably never be able to convince my group to try it (even if I did, I don't think it suits at least 2 of the 5 group members' personalities). But reading through the rules, it gives a very clear sense of the kind of play it aspires to, and man does it resonate with me.

If I ever found a group that really grasped and connected with what Burning Wheel is trying to do, I'm pretty sure it would be my ultimate RPG.
I would seriously recommend you look at Prince Valiant if you can find it available somewhere. My group is currently playing it as "Burning Wheel light" - dice pool system that is highly focused on situation, but far less demanding in system terms. Storyteller Certificates serve as deeds points.

Remove ads