This seems too powerful for the cost...

Gromm

First Post
"Instrument of the Winds (MoF p161)
When the proper tune is plated (which requires a DC15 Perform[Lute] check), this materwork lute (+2 circumstance bonus on Perform [Lute] checks) summons a large elemental as with the summon monster VI spell.
Caster Level:11th; Prereq:Craft Wonderous Item, summon monster VI; Market Price 11,000gp; Weight 3lb."

So for 11,000 gp I can cast a 6th level spell at will with a insanely easy DC on my perform check (that the item effectively lowers to 13 due to being masterwork)?

This seems awfully cheap. Maybe if it was once per day, maybe. As it is, a low level player (or anyone for that matter) can create a veritable army of air elementals for free with no real downside.

Has this thing been erratted that anyone knows of?

BMF

First Post
Useing the insanely unbalanced "use activated" line from table 8-40 (DMG), and multiplying the total by 2 for no space, that item should cost somewhere around 264,000 gp!

So my guess is, yeah, that is way too cheap.

Thanee

First Post
Well, I don't think the no space multiplier applies here, as the item has to be used in hand (altho by the letter of the rule it actually might apply), but still...

6x11x2,000=132,000 gp would be the regular cost, maybe dropped by a little for the required Perform check.

Maybe they just forgot to print a zero and it is meant to cost 110,000 gp?

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Gromm

First Post
I thought that too, but if you look at the chart is right where it should be for 11k (unless it was overlooked and someone else just made the chart based on the actual items or what have you).

Glad to know I'm not crazy. Its like having a lute that casts Heal at will (well technically thats better, but still). You could have 11 air elementals around at all time as long as you just moved your speed. Seems a little unreasonable.

Crothian

First Post
Part of the answer can be found on 243 in the DMG. Items that rely on skills should be 10% cheaper. Maybe someone misread that and made it 10% of price?

Remove ads