Threaten Area & AoO Case Studies

smetzger

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Threaten Area & AoO Case Studies

If one has a Crossbow in your hands I believe that you can take on AoO. You can use the crossbow, or a bolt for that matter, as an improvised melee weapon. You probably don't have proficiency in improvised weapons so you would get the standard -4 penalty to hit, but at least youd get to try and whack the guy upside his head.

Last edited:

prodawg

First Post

CRGreathouse said:

Would you allow the cleric to make an unarmed AoO with a kick (etc.)?

I have always played with the rule that you must have a melee weapon armed to make an AoO unless you have unarmed combat feat. So in this case, I would not have allowed the cleric to make an unarmed AoO with a kick.
However, that is the point that we are discussing about right now.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

CRGreathouse said:

Would you allow the cleric to make an unarmed AoO with a kick (etc.)?

While it is theoretically possible, I probably wouldn't allow it if they had just been using the crossbow (i.e. if you had just fired or reloaded your crossbow).

If I did allow it, the kick would be treated as an off-hand weapon, and you would get a -4 on your attack.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Threaten Area & AoO Case Studies

Caliban said:
While it is theoretically possible, I probably wouldn't allow it if they had just been using the crossbow (i.e. if you had just fired or reloaded your crossbow).

If I did allow it, the kick would be treated as an off-hand weapon, and you would get a -4 on your attack.

The real reason I'm curious is that I wanted to know if a crossbow-wielding character can give a flanking bonus to the rogue opposite him. :)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Threaten Area & AoO Case Studies

CRGreathouse said:

The real reason I'm curious is that I wanted to know if a crossbow-wielding character can give a flanking bonus to the rogue opposite him. :)

The rules don't cover that situation, other than to state that you don't threaten an area when using a ranged weapon.

I would say that the character with the crossbow has to make a decision on their turn: are they using a crossbow or making an unarmed attack?

If they decide to use the crossbow, they don't threaten an area around them. (They are to busy aiming or reloading the crossbow.)

If they decide not to use the crossbow, then they can threaten the area around them with the unarmed attack.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Threaten Area & AoO Case Studies

Caliban said:
I would say that the character with the crossbow has to make a decision on their turn: are they using a crossbow or making an unarmed attack?

If they decide to use the crossbow, they don't threaten an area around them. (They are to busy aiming or reloading the crossbow.)

If they decide not to use the crossbow, then they can threaten the area around them with the unarmed attack.

OK, I have a ruling to use IMC. :) Thanks, Caliban!

NilCat

First Post
First off, let me congratulate Caliban with an excelent house-rule!

Then I have an observations to make:

If a person with no wepons in hand and no unarmed fighting feats does not threaten anybody, is the spellcaster standing next to him guaranteed to get his spell of? Must the unarmed character ready an attack in order to prevent the spellcaster

About reach. Do someone with natural reach (i.e. someone large) with a reach weapon threaten all squares from 5 to 15 feet or just 10 to 15 feet or what?

Last edited:

Remove ads