• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E To own 5E books or not to own 5E books that is the Question

Triumph_Fork

First Post
Buy the books online

I did buy the PhB at a game store, and it ran me almost $60.00. If you buy it off Amazon, you can get all books for like $100 or less.

I'm in for supporting gamestores but sometimes online is the better option especially if you're looking for a better deal.

Buy the books online

I did buy the PhB at a game store, and it ran me almost $60.00. If you buy it off Amazon, you can get all books for like $100 or less.

I'm in for supporting gamestores but sometimes online is the better option especially if you're looking for a better deal.
Everyone has to make the choice, and hopefully they do so with some thought and consideration. Buy online and support Amazon and WotC, or buy in your game store/FLGS and support the store and WotC.

What value does the store have/provide for you? Do you want a store to be able to go to? Do you want a store you can go play at? Does your store let you play at it? Does it have a good community? etc.

All things we have to decide, hopefully we make those decisions from an informed point of view and not an ignorant one.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Until this summer, most of my games were family ones, and we had one set of books. (i do make extensive use of the SRD pdf to participate in a PbP game). My daughter "infected" her friends, and two of them also bought PHBs which they use in the game my daughter DMS. (One of those friends has also started DMing another group). This summer I started doing DnD at the local library. One of my daughter's PHB owning friends comes to that and brings her PHB. It's great to have two of them at the table. Especially since she got bored one day and indexed EVERYTHING with flag tabs on her copy.

Last night we only had my PHB, and another of my daughter's friends from her group joined us for the first time. I had DnD Beyond pulled up on my tablet, but he beat me at finding things using the PHB several times. I was amazed, as DnD Beyond is pretty fast. (So much for today's teens only knowing how to use electronics!)

My daughter's saving her pennies to buy a set of books to take with her to college....

Remove ads