D&D 3E/3.5 Transfer 5e characters to 3.5e, is it possible?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
But Dragonborn is a Template... right? it's not a base race like a human.
Let's say, 3.5 and not 3, because 3 lacks a lot of things, unlike 3.5.
In 3.5, dragonborn isn't a template per se; rather, it's more of a race that you take on to replace your base race. I suppose you could say it splits the difference between a race and a template.

Of course, it's also dependent on you having a good alignment; if you change your alignment to neutral or evil, it explicitly says that you stop being a dragonborn and return to your original race.

The good news is that this isn't too hard to get around if you use the Ritual of Alignment from Savage Species (affiliate link); see page 148. So long as you beat the ritual DC by 5 or more, you can gain an alignment subtype without changing your actual alignment. So maybe a 3.5 version of Arkhan has the Good subtype despite being evil-aligned!

EdenNotRaven

Explorer
In 3.5, dragonborn isn't a template per se; rather, it's more of a race that you take on to replace your base race. I suppose you could say it splits the difference between a race and a template.

Of course, it's also dependent on you having a good alignment; if you change your alignment to neutral or evil, it explicitly says that you stop being a dragonborn and return to your original race.

The good news is that this isn't too hard to get around if you use the Ritual of Alignment from Savage Species (affiliate link); see page 148. So long as you beat the ritual DC by 5 or more, you can gain an alignment subtype without changing your actual alignment. So maybe a 3.5 version of Arkhan has the Good subtype despite being evil-aligned!
Don't worry, think that the dm(me) don't care about it.
Because Tiamat gave him the powers of begin dragonborn.
Which base race is the right to take for Arkhan?

aco175

Legend
Hey, what do you mean?
Each edition had new stats come out for Drizzt. Each time people would complain and say that is not what it should be. In 2e he was a ranger15 (I do not actually remember, but good enough for the argument). Then 3e came out and he was fighter5/barbarian5/ranger3- and people complained. 4e came out and suddenly he was not a barbarian anymore. 5e, same thing.

Point was that to go backward to 3e would have the same problem when everyone has a different opinion, especially if he is a race that did not exist then.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Don't worry, think that the dm(me) don't care about it.
Because Tiamat gave him the powers of begin dragonborn.
Which base race is the right to take for Arkhan?
Probably human, simply because that has the least overall impact with regard to 3.5 dragonborn characters (i.e., the only thing a human-turned-dragonborn would retain would be the Human subtype, whereas something like an dwarf-turned-dragonborn would keep the dwarf racial ability modifiers (in addition to the dragonborn racial ability modifiers), slower speed, knowledge of the dwarven language, dwarf subtype, etc.).

EdenNotRaven

Explorer
Probably human, simply because that has the least overall impact with regard to 3.5 dragonborn characters (i.e., the only thing a human-turned-dragonborn would retain would be the Human subtype, whereas something like an dwarf-turned-dragonborn would keep the dwarf racial ability modifiers (in addition to the dragonborn racial ability modifiers), slower speed, knowledge of the dwarven language, dwarf subtype, etc.).
Ok so, Arkhan is Human - Dragonborn, Paladin of Tyranny, (does not have to be blackguard).
Stat block is the same...
He probably use full plate armor - Dragonhide Armor... But I guess he should have mithril full plate.

"The armor gives Arkhan advantage on ability checks and saving throws made to avoid or end the grappled condition on him."
I think it's mean it have spikes on it.
Also it's enchantment.

Now, for his weapons...
His battle axe is magical, can we find the magic he have used?

Fane-Eater (Battleaxe). Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (1d8 + 12) slashing damage, or 17 (1d10 + 12) slashing damage when used with two hands, plus 9 (2d8) cold damage. If the target is a creature and Arkhan rolls a 20 on the attack roll, the creature takes an extra 9 (2d8) necrotic damage, and Arkhan regains an amount of hit points equal to the necrotic damage dealt.

Hand of Vecna isn't easy to get I think.

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
To be fair, Drizzt not being a pure Ranger made a lot of sense considering his upbringing. AD&D2 didn't have multiclassed Rangers except half-elven Ranger/Clerics.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Fane-Eater (Battleaxe). Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (1d8 + 12) slashing damage, or 17 (1d10 + 12) slashing damage when used with two hands, plus 9 (2d8) cold damage. If the target is a creature and Arkhan rolls a 20 on the attack roll, the creature takes an extra 9 (2d8) necrotic damage, and Arkhan regains an amount of hit points equal to the necrotic damage dealt.
Well, the base weapon doesn't seem too difficult. The 3.5 battleaxe also deals 1d8 damage, so that's spot-on. Using it two-handed increases his Strength bonus to damage by x1.5, but I suspect that comes out as being a bigger bump than changing the weapon's d8 damage die to a d10 (since that's just a 1-point difference on average).

The enchantments are a little harder. A frost weapon just deals an extra 1d6 cold damage per hit, though changing it to an icy burst enchantment would make it deal extra damage on a confirmed critical hit. Likewise, the ability to drain hit points is probably best modeled after the vampiric magic weapon ability from Magic of Faerun and Unapproachable East (which are technically 3.0 books), which drains fewer hit points but does it on every hit (albeit allowing a save):

Any living opponent struck by a vampiric weapon must make a Fortitude save (DC 16) or lose an additional 1d4 hit points, which are immediately added to the wielder's current hit point total. Any hit points above the wielder's maximum are treated as temporary hit points (multiple additions of temporary hit points don't stack) and disappear after 1 hour.
Caster Level: 7th
Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, vampiric touch
Price: +2 bonus

Last edited:

EdenNotRaven

Explorer
Well, the base weapon doesn't seem too difficult. The 3.5 battleaxe also deals 1d8 damage, so that's spot-on. Using it two-handed increases his Strength bonus to damage by x1.5, but I suspect that comes out as being a bigger bump than changing the weapon's d8 damage die to a d10 (since that's just a 1-point difference on average).

The enchantments are a little harder. A frost weapon just deals an extra 1d6 cold damage per hit, though changing it to an icy burst enchantment would make it deal extra damage on a confirmed critical hit. Likewise, the ability to drain hit points is probably best modeled after the vampiric magic weapon ability from Magic of Faerun and Unapproachable East (which are technically 3.0 books), which drains fewer hit points but does it on every hit (albeit allowing a save):
Poggers, really poggers.
Ok, so the Battleaxe is 1d8 + 2d8 icy burst (when critical)… he also got the vampiric touch, but I cannot use the 3.0 book, it's outside of my rules.
Is there any legal way to make the spell stored in the weapon permanent? vampiric touch is spell level 3... so it can be used on spell storing.

About his armor:
Arkhan wields Fane-Eater and wears a suit of Obsidian Flint Dragon Plate. The armor gives Arkhan an advantage on ability checks and saving throws made to avoid or end the grappled condition on him.
so let's look at the armor:
Armor (plate), legendary -> Full Plate, Dragonhide made... but it's Obsidian... Mithril is the better option, but it's silver.
You gain a +2 bonus to AC and resistance to poison damage while you wear this armor. ln addition, you gain an advantage on ability checks and saving throws made to avoid or end the grappled condition on yourself. -> Enchantment +2, + Resistance to Poison, avoid grapple means grapple is stronger so belt of strength giant?

Dragonborn can choose Heart, Mind, or Wings.
I think Arkan the Cruel is Human with a Half-Dragon template.
The dragonborn template is not good enough.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases