Traveller salvage question

darjr

I crit!
Yeah my thoughts exactly. How do they come and go for the long time it takes to fix this up? I mean, I can see finding it, and hauling it away quickly working, but fixing it on the moon surface for months just doesn't seem reasonable. Which is why im thinking they work out a contract for the wreckage, so its fine they come and go, or they get it into space and haul it away as law of salvage (of course finding a way to fool the system dwellers is the adventure). The final option, is of course, salvage parts and get out before anyone is the wiser of them doing it.
There was a book I read where marines in “drop” suits with equipment tied to them took months to drift through a system ti reach thier target. They were each to small to be picked up on sensors.

darjr

I crit!
I don’t know if this is your style but you could present the problem to the players, without preconceived solutions or problems, and let the players tell you, in game.

Even if it’s a plan you would have thrown out yourself, let it play out with real chances for success.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I don’t know if this is your style but you could present the problem to the players, without preconceived solutions or problems, and let the players tell you, in game.

Even if it’s a plan you would have thrown out yourself, let it play out with real chances for success.
Thats what I typically do. I want to have answers on what is possible for them as they think about how they want to do it.

Thats said, what am I missing? What else could they do?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Do the PCs need the whole ship?
Could they just power up the computer and tak recordings as the ship tries to re-establish the life support and basic 'ready' status? 3-D videocam some high-technology item? Find and grab the 'black box'? Pull out a plasma barbette (or whatever) to duplicate?

Possible cover mission: the wreck had crew aboard. We are placing a marker (religious or cultural or official) at the site and retrieving -insert something appropriate- for final memorial services.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
You appear to have decided that making the ship operational will take credits. That can be tough in many traveller games -- ships are ridiculously expensive. So my first question is is this a necessary constraint; does it add fun to the challenge?

Secondly, do the Vargr know about the ship? I assume no, and if that's true, then I suspect the players can make a claim on the area with the miners, and "discover" the ship they know is already on the claim. If the area is claimed already, then the challenge becomes gaining control of that one Vargr's stake; it need not be a conflict with everyone.

I expect Vargr belters will not have centralized authority -- there will be a loose agreement for registering claims, mutual assistance, etc., but most asteroids/ships will be functionally independent, and if anyone gets testy, everyone agrees to form a posse, with the claim of the initiator being forfeit and auctioned off. Something like that. Everyone's trigger happy, but there are repercussions if you start anything.

Given all that, the players can arrive and (a) engage with locals or (b) look for the wreck. Their responsibility is to stake a claim on the ship before anyone else (I imagine there's someone buying up stakes and trying to unionize the belters, or somesuch; they've got a big ship and so are a threat in multiple ways, but could have a lead.) Once they find the ship, they then either secure a claim or they try to make off without going through the expected procedures. The former requires some deception and social stuff; the latter requires making the ship combat-ready quick. There's a choice for them.

What ship are they in? Can they tie the ships together and jump away (a reduced distance, obviously)? Or jury-rig their power plant to the new ship, and leave the ship they are in as a wreck instead? That would provide a temporary solution to the MCr problem, even if it means they've got an extra drive in the cargo bay, etc. (And is the ship theirs once they get it?). For me as a player trying to get out of system with two ships connected by a power cable or whatever seems much more engaging that being told they need to order 16MCr worth of parts.

payn

Do the PCs need the whole ship?
Could they just power up the computer and tak recordings as the ship tries to re-establish the life support and basic 'ready' status? 3-D videocam some high-technology item? Find and grab the 'black box'? Pull out a plasma barbette (or whatever) to duplicate?

Possible cover mission: the wreck had crew aboard. We are placing a marker (religious or cultural or official) at the site and retrieving -insert something appropriate- for final memorial services.
The whole ship would be a great prize and their benefactor King of Drianx would be very pleased. Though, they could certainly salvage parts from the ship to add to their own Harrier (200 ton) for improvements. That would be the salvage stuff undetected route. Or they could also make a deal with the Vargr for salvaging parts.

The ship has been here a very long time, the black box would be very interesting. Though, the ship was commandeered by fleeing mechanics during a Sindalan Empire civil war and laid here to wrest after trying to escape a major battle.

payn

You appear to have decided that making the ship operational will take credits. That can be tough in many traveller games -- ships are ridiculously expensive. So my first question is is this a necessary constraint; does it add fun to the challenge?
This ship is a major prize and I'd like for them to work at making her whole or decide to part her. Its up to the Travellers to decide on a quick pay day or a long term goal. These types of decisions are heart of the campaign.
Secondly, do the Vargr know about the ship? I assume no, and if that's true, then I suspect the players can make a claim on the area with the miners, and "discover" the ship they know is already on the claim. If the area is claimed already, then the challenge becomes gaining control of that one Vargr's stake; it need not be a conflict with everyone.

I expect Vargr belters will not have centralized authority -- there will be a loose agreement for registering claims, mutual assistance, etc., but most asteroids/ships will be functionally independent, and if anyone gets testy, everyone agrees to form a posse, with the claim of the initiator being forfeit and auctioned off. Something like that. Everyone's trigger happy, but there are repercussions if you start anything.
This independent system belongs to the Vargr. They have claimed it all and make their living in the Trojan reach here. They operate the space station and the SDBs. It's their system and claim, and theirs's to enforce. At the moment, they don't happen to know about the wreck.
Given all that, the players can arrive and (a) engage with locals or (b) look for the wreck. Their responsibility is to stake a claim on the ship before anyone else (I imagine there's someone buying up stakes and trying to unionize the belters, or somesuch; they've got a big ship and so are a threat in multiple ways, but could have a lead.) Once they find the ship, they then either secure a claim or they try to make off without going through the expected procedures. The former requires some deception and social stuff; the latter requires making the ship combat-ready quick. There's a choice for them.

What ship are they in? Can they tie the ships together and jump away (a reduced distance, obviously)? Or jury-rig their power plant to the new ship, and leave the ship they are in as a wreck instead? That would provide a temporary solution to the MCr problem, even if it means they've got an extra drive in the cargo bay, etc. (And is the ship theirs once they get it?). For me as a player trying to get out of system with two ships connected by a power cable or whatever seems much more engaging that being told they need to order 16MCr worth of parts.
The Travellers are in a Sindalan Harrier (200 ton light attack ship). Pretty formidable ship for the area, the Vargr have mostly Far Traders and some SDBs to protect their system. Not a ton of value in this system, off the major trade routes, and not close to the Imperial or Hierate borders.

They would likely need to get a hauler to jump this wreck to a friendly spaceport to repair. If they go the stealth steal the wreck from under their noses route. This would be a very welcome addition to their ship fleet seeing as they have the harrier and a yacht so far. They have a few benefactors to help pay for the restoration. Though, they also need a good reason for adventuring and making credits.

payn

So, the crew decided to go for the quick and easy pay day. They waited until the moon was behind the gas giant and looted all they could in 13 hour window. May come back with a plan someday to salvage the wreck but didnt seem too keen on dealing with the Vargr or paying to get the wreck restored.

TBeholder

Explorer
They could just become legitimate prospectors.
At very least, the presence of asteroid mining indicates that local asteroids contain some valuable minerals and when the moon gets hit by meteorites, their content stays down there, even if at a low average density. If due to most of them being more used to working with something resembling ground under their boots, they choose to comb a moon, and they have equipment, what's strange about it? Then they have a good enough reason to be down there, but not good enough that others would look over their shoulders.

The moon is in a weird orbit and for a few days it will be outside Vargr territory.
Err… how would you have to define this “territory” for this?

darjr

I crit!
They could just become legitimate prospectors.
At very least, the presence of asteroid mining indicates that local asteroids contain some valuable minerals and when the moon gets hit by meteorites, their content stays down there, even if at a low average density. If due to most of them being more used to working with something resembling ground under their boots, they choose to comb a moon, and they have equipment, what's strange about it? Then they have a good enough reason to be down there, but not good enough that others would look over their shoulders.

Err… how would you have to define this “territory” for this?
The moon could be in a highly eccentric orbit. If the Vargr only control the space close in to a planet that moons orbit could carry it outside that area.

Remove ads