• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trohls and theyre kynde

Heres a critter I put together for my campaign world. They are inspired partially by the Seareach giants and the ogier. I wanted to depict a race of beings who were peaceful but capable of great wrath when stirred, but not without a price.
Initiative: -2 (Dex)
AC: 13 (-2 Dex, -1 Size, +4 Natural, +2 Leather)
Speed: 40ft
Attacks: Slam +3 melee, Huge Greatsword +3 melee
Damage: Slam 1d6 +3, Huge Greatsword 2d8 + 3
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 5ft/5 ft.
Special Qualities: Berserk, Trohl Traits, World Weary.
Saves: Fort +5, Reflex –2, Will +0
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 7, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10.
Skills: Climb +4, Jump +5, Spot +4, Listen +3.
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike,
Climate/Terrain: Any
Organization: Work team (2-12), or Family (4-20)
Challenge rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Good
Advancement: By character class.

The Tohl are a reclusive race of humanoids who hold the natural world in great regard. They do not worship nature, but see it as a beautiful gift from the Creator, and thus should be cherished. They are a tall race, syanding roughly 8-9 feet tall, with strong and somewhat exagerated features. Including large noses broad jaws and somewhat pointed ears. Trohl skin is usually a deep nut brown, and the typical Trohl can weigh as much as 900 pounds.
Male Trohl wear neatly trimmed beards and both genders wear their hair long, though females wear their hair longer, both genders enjoy wearing garments with fine embroidery often with nature motif. The Trohl love few things better than the telling and hearing of long and intricate tales and histories. The Trohl are a race of great laughter and deep melancholy, as they prize and enjoy life but yet are keenly aware of their declining numbers. Trohl live an average of 500 years, and speak their own language as well as the local human dialects.

Berserk (Ex): The Trohl’s great respect for life causes them to be filled with wrath when they are forced to do battle. Because of this a trohl that takes damage in combat has a 50% chance of flying into a berserk rage the following round, attacking wildly until either the Trohl or his opponent are dead. The trohl gains a +4 to Strength, and a –2 to AC. The Trohl cannot end this rage voluntarily. While lost in this rage the Trohl cannot cast spells or use any skills or feats that require any real thought or concentration.
World Weary (Ex): The Trohl are not a race that enjoys bloodshed, rather they are filled with great horror at the damage that they can cause. Because of this, after any battle in which a Trohl is responsibe for the death of an intelligent living creature (excluding undead, constructs, outsiders, and shadowspawn) the Trohl must suceed in a Will save (DC is 12 + Trohl character level) or suffer from a terrible depression causing the trohl 1d6 points of Wisdom damage. If a Trohl’s Wisdom ever reaches 0 in this manner he dies. Wisdom points may be regained by doing “penance” at a Trohl retreat at a rate of one point per week of pennance. This usually takes the form of intense physical labor, usually of a charitable caste.
Trohl Traits (Ex): Trohl characters have a number of interesting traits particular to their race.
·Low Light Vision: The Trohl can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight and similar conditions of poor illumination.
·+2 bonus to Spot and Listen checks.
·Trohl fists deal normal damage to opponents of Medium size or smaller.
·Trohl are immune to Subdual damage from opponents of Medium size and smaller.
·Trohl are immune to Supernatural Fear effects.
·Trohl suffer a –4 to all Charisma and Wisdom based skill checks involving social interaction with other humanoids. These skills include: Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Leadership, Gather Information, and Innuendo, but may include others at the DMs discretion.

Trohl Characters
A Trohl characters favored class is Bard. A Trohl PC is considered to have a +2 ECL, as they are more powerful than standard races and thus gain levels more slowly. A trohl PC will receive a 2d8 bonus Hit Dice (plus Con Modifier), a +1 to Base attack modifier, a +1 to Fortitude saves, 7 extra skill points (Class skills in this case are; Climb, Jump, Spot, and Listen) and one bonus Feat (usually Improved Unarmed Strike, or Alertness).

Krishnath

First Post
Interresting choice for a name, but nice nonetheless.

I can see it now:

DM: You see a Throl
PC's: Trolls! But we're only level 2!

:p

Oh, what fun you can have with this one :D

Wolf72

Explorer
Shannara From Dragon Mag

The Terry Brooks series conversion in Dragon Magazine had Rock Trolls. Ogres but with int and cha. Alignment: Usually Lawful Neutral (iirc)

just another idea for ya

Fee Fie Foe Fumm!

The Terry Brooks series conversion in Dragon Magazine had Rock Trolls. Ogres but with int and cha. Alignment: Usually Lawful Neutral (iirc)

The Rock Trolls are an interesting race, though I think that WOTC could have made them a little more playable. In the books they were indeed powerful, but they were easily manipulated/duped by sorceror types. I would have penalized their Int and Wis more, perhaps -2 Int, -4 Wis, and maybe a -2 to Cha as they were not the most eloquent race in the lands. I know that that Rock Troll in the Sword of Shannara was pretty sharp, but he was unique amongst his race.
One thing that bugged me royally is that Dragon magazine didnt even consult all of those gorgeous illustrations of the Trolls etc done by the Brothers Hildebrandt. But rather made them look like hyperthyroid orcs (grumble, mutter).

So my version of Rock troll traits (I am doing this off the top of my head so bear with me) would be: +8 Strength, +4 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -4 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
>Darkvision 60ft,
>Large sized,
>Natural Armor +3,
>Giant
> Hit Dice 3d8, +2 to base attack bonus, +3 to Fortitude saves, 10 bonus skill points, and one feat. Class skills for a rock troll would be Climb, Craft (wood or leathercraft) Spot, and Listen. Trolls are proficient in the use of simple weapons, shields, and no armor.
>ECL +3 (better that +6!!!)
>Favored Multiclass: Barbarian (I havent seen anything in the books that would hint at a Fighter being the favored class, as they were barely beyont hunter/gatherers)

Remove ads