Umbrella Academy - Not bad, not great

Hussar

Legend
Fitz and the Tantrums - "The Walker" (2013)
Woodkid - "Run Boy Run" (2013)
Paloma Faith - "Never Tear Us Apart" (2012) (cheating, cover)
Morcheeba - "Blood Like Lemonade" (2010)
Tom Swoon - "Shingaling" (2008)
David Gray - "This Year's Love" (1998)
Noel Gallagher's High-Flying Birds - "In The Heat of the Moment" (2015)
Big Thief - "Mary" (2017)
Don McGinnis - "Memory Bound" (2018)
Gerard Way (feat. Ray Toro) - "Happy Together" (2019) (this is cheating obviously, as it's a cover)
Toploader - "Dancing in the Moonlight" (1999) (cheating, cover)
Gin Wigmore - "Kill of the Night"(2011)
Radiohead - "Exit Music (For a Film) (1997)
Mary J. Blige - (HA!) "Stay With Me" (2014)
Hooverphonic - "Mad About You" (2000)
Smith Westerns - "All Die Young" (2011)
Gerard Way (feat. Ray Toro) - "Hazy Shade of Winter" (2019) (cheating, cover)

Now, are there also some older songs (Tiffany, Leslie Gore, Nena Horne, Three Dog Night, etc.?)? Yes!

But there is a LOT of modern music.

You have to play some old music to fully reazlie the Wes Anderson aesthetic.

Again, Wes Anderson.

Also? I hate to say this but ... you may not recognize more recent music. :)

Jus' sayin'.

That's a fair argument. :D

/edit - had to look up who Wes Anderson was. That might go a long way to explain things. I have either neither seen or turned off half way through every movie he's made. That would probably explain why I don't "get" this show.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
/edit - had to look up who Wes Anderson was. That might go a long way to explain things. I have either neither seen or turned off half way through every movie he's made. That would probably explain why I don't "get" this show.

It really is like someone's showcasing their talent in the "More Wes Anderson than Wes Anderson" category. I'm still kind of looking for a Bill Murray role that I must have missed in the background somewhere...

Hussar

Legend
Heh.

Whether you love this show or not depends a lot on your expectations.

If you go in hoping for a "Daredevil" or a "Arrow" type show, you will be disappointed.

On the other hand, if you like Wes Anderson / Coen Bros. / more experimental TV (like Legion), this show may very well appeal to you.

For example, my S.O. doesn't like much of the superhero TV stuff I enjoy (except, for example, Legion) but we both loved this show.

It's more a show that happens to have people with superpowers than a superhero show.

Funnily enough, I ADORED Legion and I am so pissed that it only got a single run on Hulu over here before disappearing. I haven't gotten to see the second season at all. GRRRRR. But, it was such a hugely trippy show.

Then again, I love Dirk Gently's too. Got no problem with trippy. Trippy is fun.

But, for some reason, this show really didn't gel for me. OTOH, after the season finale, I do want to watch next season, so, I didn't hate it.

Oh, what to do? What to think?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Funnily enough, I ADORED Legion and I am so pissed that it only got a single run on Hulu over here before disappearing. I haven't gotten to see the second season at all. GRRRRR. But, it was such a hugely trippy show.

Then again, I love Dirk Gently's too. Got no problem with trippy. Trippy is fun.

But, for some reason, this show really didn't gel for me. OTOH, after the season finale, I do want to watch next season, so, I didn't hate it.

Oh, what to do? What to think?

Both Dirk Gently’s and Legion were great shows that built enough momentum and connection to their own internal logic to make them engaging and entertaining trips.

umbrella academy took too long to build that momentum and for me at least failed to engage my interest, though the latter episodes did entertain

Derren

Hero
I was not impressed with the Umbrella Academy. As Tonguez said, it dragged on for too long and to be honest, I found the bad guys more interesting than the "heroes" (but still not really great).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases