• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[URBIS] The Urbis Art Challenge!

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
You know, I've noticed that many artists who post on this board don't have their own web gallery. This means that once the thread vanishes, nobody here will be able to look at these often gorgeous images.

Which is a crying shame.

So I've decided to do something about it. You see, thanks to my brother (who works for a not-to-be-mentioned telecommunication company) provided me with my own home page, which has plenty of storage space, and is completely ads-free.

Now here is my offer: If you present me with a single picture you have created that I can use for the home page I have created for Urbis, my own fantasy setting, I will create a web gallery for you in return. Two artists have already taken me up to my offer, and you can see their galleries here.

Now, what kind of art would be "appropriate" for Urbis? Well, use your imagination! :D

Urbis is a vast world, with many varied regions, towering cities, and unique landmarks, and I am sure there is something in there that could serve as an inspiration for you! The only limitation is that the image shouldn't be "silly" (and that includes cheescake unless you have a very good reason for it...).

And if you want me to put up an art gallery for you, the art in it mustn't be "offensive", with "offensive" being defined as "anything which could get me sued"...

Well, that's it! Any takers?

weem

First Post
There's some great looking art in those galleries, very nice.

It's nice to see people helping others promote their art. Had I any art to contribute, I would - though I do not need a gallery at the moment (seeing as how I have 3 websites that use much of my work).

But, web graphics I can do. If you need any help with anything for your site, let me know and I'll see what I can do. (I have done some things for Morrus, and many other RPG sites).

No charge of course :)

Last edited:

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Mike Wiemholt said:
There's some great looking art in those galleries, very nice.

It's nice to see people helping others promote their art.

Well, it doesn't cost me anything but a bit time to create one - and at the moment, I still have plenty of free time...

But, web graphics I can do. If you need any help with anything for your site, let me know and I'll see what I can do. (I have done some things for Morrus, and many other RPG sites).

No charge of course :)

What kind of web graphics? Can you point me to some examples?

Last edited:

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
These look very nice!

Well, then by all means, take a look at Urbis. While I do like the current backgrounds (all done by classical masters :p), I'm sure there is lots of room for improvement...

At this point, I should probably point out that a major influence on how I visualize the setting are the "Obscure Cities", a comic universe created by two Beligian artists named Schuiten and Peeters. You can find an extremely large image gallery with their works here.

Another part of my web page you might want to take a look at is the Pisces Home Page. Several people from the ENWorld boards are trying to create a new and unique D&D fantasy setting, and I've agreed to host the whole thing.

So far, there's only some placeholder stuff there (most of the information about the setting is in the messageboards, and far from finalized - the whole setting is about 10 days old...), so we haven't settled on a graphical design for it. But I am sure you could come up with something good - just talk with the Project Coordinator on the messageboards...

Since reading through approximately 300+ postings on the forum is probably too much work, here's the rough premise of the setting (still in flux):

Approximately 200 years ago, all the usual PC races (humans, elves, dwarfs etc.) lived on a fairly standard (for D&D, that is...) fantasy world.

Then the highest god of the local pantheon decides to try to ascend to an even higher state of existence. To do this, he absorbs the power of all the other gods in the pantheon (effectively killing them). After clerics suddenly stop getting divine spells, some wizards learn of the reason - and also that this means their world has less than a year before it becomes uninhabitable.

Fortunately, several long-dormant gates to another world open. As many people as possible flee through it, and now must struggle to survive in a very alien environment...

Well, I'm looking forward to what you can come up with! If you have any further questions, email me at jhubert@gmx.de.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads