D&D 5E Vertical Jump Rules and a +5 STR modifier

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Just to add I would think pro basketball players would get to add their Proficiency Bonus to a Strength check for high jumping.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If you want fun weight calculations, you should see the weight carrying capacity of yaks in Pathfinder.

I had a yak, which was given the same stats as a buffalo (erm...), and thus based on its size and strenght, could carry up to 3000 ish pounds, which is ridiculous (the "best" beast of burden is the camel and they top out at around 500 pounds).

however, if you did a few magical things to boost that, you could end up with over a 100 000 pounds of carrying capacity...

Sacrosanct

Legend
From the PHB:
"High Jump. When you make a high jump, you leap into the air a number of feet equal to 3 + your Strength modifier if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. When you make a standing high jump, you can jump only half that distance. ... In some circumstances, your DM might allow you to make a Strength (Athletics) check to jump higher than you normally can."

So 20 Str can do a Standing high jump of (3+5)/2=4 vertical feet. What would it look like to do even more than that (in some circumstances)?

The Korean game Show Physical:100 has just showed me. Enjoy.

Those are auto-successes as well. You don't even need to roll. you only need to roll when you want to jump higher than that. And while not specified what DC at how many additional feet, one can easily come up with a DC by looking at the DC ratings and what they mean.

Remove ads