Votes & Ratings

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Okay, I see there is a button to 'Rate' the fan creations in the Database. This is a great idea, and I wish it was used more.

However, the actual Vote system is very flawed and will not result in anything meaningful.

1st: There are 5 options. This makes taking the middle ground too easy and that tells no one anything.
2nd: So, someone might then say, "Well actually, most (if not all) votes are 4 stars. 3 would be the middle". But this is simply b/c the Vote labels are also very poor. You have: Excellent, Good, Average, Bad, Terrible. Given most folks here are very positive (thankfully) and I doubt many would even vote if they weren't keen on someone's fan creation someone has done for others to use, they are VERY unlikely to put in the Bad or Terrible option.

So, if these bottom 2 are getting ignored (as they should), that leaves you with 3 real options again...and of course most people take the middle: Good.

So, again, we are not going to get any real ratings or ideas as to which ones people really like, b/c almost all with be 4 stars.

So, what am I proposing?

Well first, like any decent survey, you have to get rid of the middle ground. 4 options is enough. (Go 6 if you wish. I know 5 star ratings are common for everything (like music), and if people identify with it more, well then keep it, but please change the descriptors, so the last two are viable options).

Second: Put options that SUIT rating FAN created stuff. This is material people have put their own time into and have shared it for the benefit of all for nothing. That in itself can't make it 'terrible', right?

What about something like:
1. Excellent - This will be a major feature in my game
2. Very Good - This will be an option in my game
3. Good - I don't really have a need or I may use this slightly modified
4. Needs work - This is a solid start, but needs adjusting before I will use in my game

My descriptors may not be the best, but I hope you get the idea. I guess this is directed [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], but if others have any thoughts pipe in. 9Obviously, if people insist on 5, we need one more level - I would be inclined to put it above Excellent).

I just want to be able to go to the database in a year's time and actually be able to look at the best rated. That won't really happen as is. They will be all 'Good' with a few 'Excellents' and just maybe an 'Average' or two.
Cheers, \m/ Connors.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's not a lot I can do about it, sadly. It's off-the-shelf software, and I'm no programmer. I can probably figure out how to change some phrases and terms here and there, but not to change how it actually works.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Wow. That was quick. Yeah, even just making the actual tags/descriptors more positive might encourage more responses and more variety (and usefulness). But if not, oh well...I tried (and I am no programmer either ;)).

Remove ads