D&D 3E/3.5 Wealth by level, int increases and appropriate skill points

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It is in the ability descriptions, hp are explicitly changed when the modifier goes up or down.

Int is applied only at level up for skills and does not have the con statement about shifting skills known with int damage or enhancement bonuses or such.

Constitution (Con)

Constitution represents your character’s health and stamina. A Constitution bonus increases a character’s hit points, so the ability is important for all classes.

You apply your character’s Constitution modifier to:

Each roll of a Hit Die (though a penalty can never drop a result below 1—that is, a character always gains at least 1 hit point each time he or she advances in level).
Fortitude saving throws, for resisting poison and similar threats.
Concentration checks. Concentration is a skill, important to spellcasters, that has Constitution as its key ability.

If a character’s Constitution score changes enough to alter his or her Constitution modifier, the character’s hit points also increase or decrease accordingly.

Intelligence (Int)

Intelligence determines how well your character learns and reasons. This ability is important for wizards because it affects how many spells they can cast, how hard their spells are to resist, and how powerful their spells can be. It’s also important for any character who wants to have a wide assortment of skills.

You apply your character’s Intelligence modifier to:

The number of languages your character knows at the start of the game.
The number of skill points gained each level. (But your character always gets at least 1 skill point per level.)
So an 8 Int Fighter puts on a +4 Headband of Intellect, still gets 1 skill point per level. Sad. I rather like Pathfinder's solution to this, where the item has a skill tied to it, and you get free ranks in that specific skill when you put it on.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
So an 8 Int Fighter puts on a +4 Headband of Intellect, still gets 1 skill point per level. Sad. I rather like Pathfinder's solution to this, where the item has a skill tied to it, and you get free ranks in that specific skill when you put it on.
That's a cool idea.

Staffan

Legend
The non-retroactiveness of skill points for Intelligence is one of those weird places where 3e tries to be realistic/simulationistic. The idea behind getting Int to skill points is that you learn faster. Becoming more intelligent now doesn't mean you learned faster then, so it only affects skill points going forward.

In practice, it's one of those "Sure, that makes sense, but it's a BLEEP to actually use that way" things. I would expect that letting Int increase skill points retroactively is a common house rule, at least for permanent increases (leveling up, inherent bonuses).

Voadam

Legend
I would expect that letting Int increase skill points retroactively is a common house rule, at least for permanent increases (leveling up, inherent bonuses).
I know at least one DM who did that in their house rules for a 3.5 game. :)

Smarts!: Int skill bonuses are retroactive. If somebody increases their int permanently through level advancement they get the extra skill points and can learn a new language. Skill increases must still make sense for the character from a story perspective and can be saved until appropriate opportunities for skill development.

Remove ads