WOIN Wealth Rewards

Suskeyhose

Explorer
I really like that in the game the XP rewards are quite well defined, and it's even reasonably clear when to give a Reputation reward.

One thing that I'm continuously not able to figure out is how I should do monetary rewards.

Has anyone else come up with any kind of guidelines on monetary rewards for players? I don't really want it to just be money on monsters, but I still want to be able to reward my players enough that they can afford to buy customized equipment eventually.

At the moment the only thing that comes to mind for me is that I could think about would be the monster power components rules in the 1.1 draft Elements of Magic booklet, which gives a gold value for a creature based on a range of max die pools.

OsirisDawnEU

Villager
I assign a silver value to the Rank of adversaries and drop valuables in that ballpark, either direct after the encounter or as found stash somewhere else in the adventure.

So lets say my group encounters 5 thugs (Rank 5). Thugs are on the lower end of wealth so i decided Thugs are worth 5 silver per Rank.
After the the fight they can loot 10 silver, but there is also a hidden stash worth 15 more silver.

Hope that makes sense.

Suskeyhose

Explorer
Why silver? This game has even barmaids and beggars carrying around up to dozens of gold as a part of their wages, that seems like a really small amount.

Also how do you decide how much to put per rank? Is it just gut feeling?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It’s a good question and not one I think I covered in the books. I’ll have a think on it and see if I can come up with some guidelines. If anybody else has any opinions, I’m open to suggestions… would make a good EONs article when/if that stats up again!

OsirisDawnEU

Villager
I was thinking of my campaign were gold is rare, but by RAW its gold, you are right.

I am going by Rank squared:

R1 1gp worth of loot
R2 4gp
R3 9gp
R4 16gp
R5 25gp and so on

Aryxymaraki

Villager
This is what I set up for Godeaters of the Astral Sea, my backburnered WOIN setting/hack; it may not be universally applicable, and I don't remember what I used to come up with the numbers.

Basically I had it set up where you explore the husks of dead gods in the Astral Sea as mini-dungeon equivalents. This table here is a quick conversion into more generic terms and concepts (each column is actually what each category of husk age looks like; the longer it's been around, the more dangerous and more valuable it is).

MDP of Strongest FoeMaximum EncountersTotal GC Value
7d6102,000
8d688,000
9d6615,000
10d6420,000
12d6230,000
14d6140,000

Gear upgrades and other things players want cost large enough amounts, I don't think there's a point in being light with wealth rewards. They're going to find a use for it, and MDP will make it unlikely to cause any major balance issues even if you gave them inordinate amounts.

It’s a good question and not one I think I covered in the books. I’ll have a think on it and see if I can come up with some guidelines. If anybody else has any opinions, I’m open to suggestions… would make a good EONs article when/if that stats up again!
Hey @Morrus, did you happen to think about this? Even just a guideline could be useful

Remove ads