weapon of Flying (MoF)

Moto Jojo

First Post
In the Magic of Faerun book, there is a weapon enchantment called Flying. The description says the weapon can be set loose to fight as an animated object, obeying orders to the best of its ability. My question is, do I simply grab the stats from the Monster Manual to determine this thing's attack bonus, or does the skill of the owner come into play at all?

Have any of you had any direct game experience with a weapon of Flying? Can you share any anecdotes? If the answer to the above question is that the weapon uses standard Animated Object stats (as I expect that it does, the more I think about it), I can see it being a bit of a bummer as you advance in level and can't hit anything with it anymore. Was this the case? If the answer is that the owner's attack bonus is used (similar to Spiritual Weapon), was this too powerful?

Thanks in advance.

MythandLore

First Post
Moto Jojo said:

In the Magic of Faerun book, there is a weapon enchantment called Flying. The description says the weapon can be set loose to fight as an animated object, obeying orders to the best of its ability.

1) My question is, do I simply grab the stats from the Monster Manual to determine this thing's attack bonus, or does the skill of the owner come into play at all?

2) Have any of you had any direct game experience with a weapon of Flying?

3) Can you share any anecdotes? If the answer to the above question is that the weapon uses standard Animated Object stats (as I expect that it does, the more I think about it), I can see it being a bit of a bummer as you advance in level and can't hit anything with it anymore. Was this the case?

4)If the answer is that the owner's attack bonus is used (similar to Spiritual Weapon), was this too powerful?

Thanks in advance.
1) I would assume so.
2) Nope.
3) Looks lame to me, but it is only a +1 weapon power, maybe it's good for the wizards that can make them.
4) Very, Very, VERY strong if it is, I don't think this is the case though, it is only a +1 weapon power after all.

Also, OA has a Weapon of Flying power too, it's totally different though, it lets the user fly when using.
Go figure. :)

MythandLore

First Post
Xarlen said:
I thought that you could throw it, or leave it in an enemy, and it woudl fly back to you, thereby returning.
Flying (MoF) fights on it's own.
Flying (p.125 OA) lets you fly when using the weapon, this is a flat cost of +16,200gp to the weapons price.
Returning (p.187 DMG) returns after it's thrown, a +1 power.
Throwing (p.187 DMG) lets you make a weapon to throw, another +1 power.

Last edited:

Remove ads