What are you reading? September's Septic Septum edition!

Dioltach

Legend
Just finishing up The Unforsaken Hiero. It’s not as weird and wild as the first one, but is a fast-paced, engrossing tale. It still is pretty gloriously weird, don’t get me wrong.

I love those books. Sometimes I think about running a campaign in that world. It's a shame Lanier never finished the series.

Myself, I'm about to start on A Little Hatred, Joe Abercrombie's new novel set in the First Law world.

Richards

Legend
I'm just starting The Twelfth Card, Jeffery Deaver's sixth Lincoln Rhyme novel. This one deals with someone trying to kill a high school student whose genealogical research apparently threatens to uncover some secret the killer doesn't want unearthed.

Johnathan

They're so strange and glorious, existing as a perfect melding of fantasy, post-apocalyptic, and sci-fi. Running your own campaign really is the only way to see what happens next, alas.

I love those books. Sometimes I think about running a campaign in that world. It's a shame Lanier never finished the series.

Dioltach

Legend
They're so strange and glorious, existing as a perfect melding of fantasy, post-apocalyptic, and sci-fi. Running your own campaign really is the only way to see what happens next, alas.

Psionic priests, rangers, psionic-boosting machines, intelligent bears and beavers (and SLUGS!), morse and hoppers, lightning guns, slavers and pirates, warrior princesses, dryads and catfolk ... What's not to love?

Janx

Hero
finished Fledging, resumed Dracula (which I put on hold so I could read Octavia Butler before I sat on a panel and didn't know anything).

Richards

Legend
I finished The Twelfth Card by Jeffery Deaver, which had the unfortunate distinction of being the worst Lincoln Rhyme novel I've read thus far. I'm glad I hadn't stumbled upon it as my first impression of the series or I probably wouldn't have given any of the others a chance. This was hampered by a Mary Sue protagonist, a very unlikely reason for Lincoln Rhyme to have even gotten involved in the killing, and the main characters not even doing all that much detecting during the novel, instead letting the plucky young high school character take care of things on her own. There was some good progress on an ongoing behind-the-scenes plot line at the end of the book but that's about all it had going for it.

But I'm now starting book seven in the series, The Cold Moon, and it's already back to being what a Lincoln Rhyme novel should be about: a serial killer with a fixation on time. I'm especially eager to see how things go because book 8 (which I've already read) had several tie-ins to this novel and I want to see what that's all about.

Johnathan

Remove ads