D&D (2024) What are your best Playtest Level 3 Builds?

I was mostly putting it out there by way of contrast with the 2014 version, commonly regarded as the worst subclass in the game. Look at what Treantmonk did with a 2024 elemental monk, plus the grappler feat.

I'm currently play testing a mercy monk. Prior to the new rules, mercy was easily the best monk subclass. I'm not sure that's the case with the new version of monk. A lot of mercy's abilities were designed to compensate for the weak monk chassis, but aren't as necessary now. For example, being able to automatically apply the poisoned condition is less essential now that it is easy for all monks to dodge while still getting to attack. Meanwhile, elemental monks can fly!
On the other hand monks can only dodge by giving up two entire attacks - and poisoned (automatically!) protects the rest of the party rather than just the monk. But the Way of Mercy monk has one thing even the cleric can't match; short rest healing for the whole party. In some games that's going to be redundant, in others gamebreaking and amazing even compared to what everyone else can do.

(This is also like the Elements forced movement; in some games that's going to be useless and in others amazing)

ECMO3

Hero
I am going to play a one-shot (or maybe a few shots) with a level three PC. The DM likely will let me play a playtest character.

What are some idea for a third level playtest PC? Any race. Optimized or non-optimized doesn't matter. Cool story or just bashes heads, either is fine. What are some cool idea you have clunking around?

Best in combat is probably a Drow level 1 Undead Warlock/level 2 Bladesinger.

Most Flavorful is a Glasya Tiefling Rogue 1/Bard 2 who had a really intriguing Feylost background

Other honorable mentions:

Goblin Level 1 Order Cleric/level 2 Enchantment Wizard

Custom Lineage (Fey Touched) - Level 2 Undead Warlock/Level 1 Shadow Sorcerer

Kender Conquest Paladin Knight of the Sword (with the 1st level Sword feat)

Custom Lineage (Fey touched) Tempest Cleric 2/Fathomless Warlock 1

Custom Lineage (Tavern Brawler) Rogue 1/Fighter 2 - grappler build

Last edited:

Remove ads