What are your unpopular geek opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There is zero on screen evidence in the original Star Wars trilogy that the Empire is an oppressive totalitarian regime.

The entire plot of prequel trilogy is based on the fact the Jedi and the Old Republic are a corrupt theocracy.
You’re joking, right?

A military police state, wherein the emperor (literally a title that has extremely rarely been used by anyone but absolute monarchs or one sort or another) dissolves the democratically elected senate when it becomes inconvenient, is Peter ally intentionally coded to remind the audience of the Nazis, and that blew up a planet with billions of people entirely as a show of force, are exceedingly obviously a totalitarian regime.

As in, so obvious that I genuinely don’t believe that you or anyone else has ever actually believed the “The Empire was right” take.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I find the number of superhero movies and their interconnection a bit numbing.

saw the new spider man with the kids last night. It was fun. But I skipped a couple of captain America movies and if there was an ant man 2 might have skipped it.

perhaps the thing others might most disagree with is the idea that the multiverse lowers the stakes for me. Always a second chance, the world is a little more throwaway if there are 1,000 more almost just like it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Folks, if you get into arguing over the unpopular opinions, I'm going to boot you from the thread.

doctorbadwolf

It was established in the prequels that the senate was an illegitimate and ineffective form of government.

Alderaan was a military target. Literally every single on screen character shown from that planet is a militant terrorist. Tragic, yes, but no more oppressive or totalitarian than any other time one warring faction has destroyed the capital of their enemy.
It was neither a military target, nor the capital of the “enemy”.

It was blown up literally to show that the empire could destroy whole planets in a shot.

doctorbadwolf

Threadcrapping
I sort of questioned them turning farmers into bloody skeletons to find plans a little…harsh. Not imprisoned and questioned, but roasted :)
Right, they literally exercise lethal force as a first option.

There is no rational argument that they are the good guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads