• 3rd Edition (includes Pathfinder)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 4th Edition

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • D&D NEXT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another RPG or this question is dumb

Votes: 16 76.2%

In the return of my what Edition to use series, I finally thought of another interesting scenario!

I want to play a Mime! I also am a big believer in Disassociated Mechanics! Therefore, I want the actions I take as a player to be as similar to my character as possible. Therefore, I the player will never speak in session and only use body motion to communicate my intentions. Basically, I will Mime the whole session. Which edition would I be most successful in? Why would it be so?

Nagol

Unimportant
That would be some challenge :)

I would start by discarding any edition that requires to keep track of positions on a battlemat.

Really? I figure his best shot at clear shot at clear communication is miming the movement of a figurine from its current location to a preferred one.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I would guess there must be an rpg out there....maybe Dungeon World? that would accommodate this better.

I you had to play D&D....I would say anything pre 2e's "Skills and Powers" phase would work about as well. I think you're limited to playing a non-caster, though. Too many spells would "mime" the same way. After that, especially in the WotC editions, there's just too many similar things going on for you to be able to effectively communicate which one you are choosing/using. "Okay, which power/ability is he using that does that?" will be on the DM's mind a lot.

In practice, I would expect that the miming would quickly become a shorthand sign-language.

In practice, I would expect that the miming would quickly become a shorthand sign-language.

You have a good point there! This could really work with any edition once you think about it. Certain mime actions could equal certain powers/feats, making it possible to do 3rd and 4th Edition. Where older editions would be much more free form, which is partly why people play older editions.

Remove ads