Wizards advertising for new D&D Senior Business Manager

Argyle King

Legend
"...using micro and macro-transaction models."

Interesting. While it would be reasonable to assume this is in relation to an electronic product, the fixation on making D&D modular in conjunction with the language used in this advertisement poses some interesting questions.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
"...using micro and macro-transaction models."

Interesting. While it would be reasonable to assume this is in relation to an electronic product, the fixation on making D&D modular in conjunction with the language used in this advertisement poses some interesting questions.

I think there is a very interesting model for the future of Tabletop D&D to be found in some of the freemium models that are out there. They might offer the basic game free as a download -- core classes, no specialties, etc -- to try to get people interested in the game. That's not even very new -- lots of RPGs offer free "fast play" rulesets.

I suspect there would be a lot of pushback against a game that required things like collectible cards to enable character abilities, but it's a possibility. I know I saw a lot of fortune cards at Winter Fantasy.

It's a tricky question -- what will the audience accept as a micro transaction?

-rg

Argyle King

Legend
I think there is a very interesting model for the future of Tabletop D&D to be found in some of the freemium models that are out there. They might offer the basic game free as a download -- core classes, no specialties, etc -- to try to get people interested in the game. That's not even very new -- lots of RPGs offer free "fast play" rulesets.

I suspect there would be a lot of pushback against a game that required things like collectible cards to enable character abilities, but it's a possibility. I know I saw a lot of fortune cards at Winter Fantasy.

It's a tricky question -- what will the audience accept as a micro transaction?

-rg

I'm aware that there are some games which offer their core rules for free. A lot of them are also modular. The idea works there. However, there are two things which give me some pause.

1) While D&D Durango is still in the design phase, I'd like to think I have some idea of where it is going; what the end result is intended to be. I'm not so sure the 'core' will be as flexible as some of the modular toolkit games I'm familiar with. I could be (and hope I am) wrong, but that's the impression I get. What I like about some of the modular games I'm vaguely mentioning is that I never feel as though I necessarily have to have the add-ons; they're simply nice to have. Currently, I feel as though it will take me quite a few D&D Durango modules to get anywhere close to where I'd like to be.

2) As you kind of mentioned; there currently seems to be a fixation of finding a way to add cards and other things of that nature to D&D.

Remove ads