D&D General Wizards of the Coast releases The World of Krynn Trail Map and The Eastern Countries Trail Map for free on DriveThruRPG

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Once again, WotC has quietly released a pair of old D&D products as free-for-download PDFs. In this case, we have The World of Krynn Trail Map and The Eastern Countries Trail Map (for the Known World/Mystara). I've already grabbed my copies!

WotC seems to be releasing two titles a month, having released Three Dragon Ante and Rob Kuntz's To the City of Brass back in December, and Wrath of the Immortals and The Book of Regency in November. Any guesses as to what they'll do for February?

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

Stormonu

Legend
As nice as it is that they're making these free, these two products are exceptionally poor and unusable in their current format. The big maps just don't translate well to the PDF format.

Makes me wonder if they are making free those products that have been selling exceptionally poor/not at all.

R_J_K75

Legend
As nice as it is that they're making these free, these two products are exceptionally poor and unusable in their current format. The big maps just don't translate well to the PDF format.

Makes me wonder if they are making free those products that have been selling exceptionally poor/not at all.
Those trail maps were HUGE. I had the one of Faerun on my wall at one point which really came in handy while ready campaign sourcebooks and writing adventures. Id definitely pay for an updated better quality and better detailed map of that size again. Not sure where Id hang it but they were cool.

I wonder about they are testing our reactions and feedbacks to plan the revival of those legacy settings. Mystara can show off about the no-FR D&D what was a smashhit for its day: the arcades "Tower of Doom" and "Shadow over Mystara", even with a remake/remastered edition.

Mystara also has got pieces of steampunk, pirates & mutants (Savage Coast/Red Steel) and Jurasic Park&Hyrboria civilitations (Hollow World). If my memory doesn't fail Mystara has not canon lore about the crystal sphere, and even it may be "visited" by aliens out of the rest D&D universe.

We know the revival of Dragonlance is welcome. Even I would dare to say maybe in the future we could see some CGI cinematic trailer like the ones for Magic: the Gathering. After FR the next D&D world in M:tG may be Dragonlance, in 2022.

Backcountry164

Explorer
I wonder about they are testing our reactions and feedbacks to plan the revival of those legacy settings. Mystara can show off about the no-FR D&D what was a smashhit for its day: the arcades "Tower of Doom" and "Shadow over Mystara", even with a remake/remastered edition.

Mystara also has got pieces of steampunk, pirates & mutants (Savage Coast/Red Steel) and Jurasic Park&Hyrboria civilitations (Hollow World). If my memory doesn't fail Mystara has not canon lore about the crystal sphere, and even it may be "visited" by aliens out of the rest D&D universe.

We know the revival of Dragonlance is welcome. Even I would dare to say maybe in the future we could see some CGI cinematic trailer like the ones for Magic: the Gathering. After FR the next D&D world in M:tG may be Dragonlance, in 2022.
Dragonlance is coming this year for sure. They've already announced they're bringing back 2 or 3 old settings.
Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see Mystara again. The invention of the ridiculous term "cultural appropriation" has likely ended any chance of seeing that world again.

Stormonu

Legend

If it's a test for interest, they chose the wrong products for each - Player's Guide to Dragonlance and GAZ1 - Grand Dutchy of Karameikos would have been better choices to promote/make free.

Mystara isn't the only one with alien visitors - Barrier Peaks in Greyhawk is probably more well-known. Eberron does better "steampunk" and FR has the Sea of Fallen Stars for pirates.

And I still haven't forgiven Hasbro/WotC/TSR for the god-awful animated Dragonlance Chronicles they put out a few years back.

Remove ads