• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC's pre-D&D roleplaying supplements?

PenguinKing

First Post
This may come as news to some of you (and to others it may not), but apparently in the days before Wizards of the Coast bought out TSR, they published a number of ostensibly generic* roleplaying books. I just picked up The Compleat Alchemist today, and it appears to be quite excellent. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with any other such books that may exist, and if they'd have any recommendations?

* tho' rather transparently intended for AD&D-like systems

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

Lizard

Explorer
Are you SURE the Compleat Alchemist was WOTC? I could have sworn it was someone else...

The first WOTC product ever was the excellent "The Primal Order", a generic sourcebook about how to create and run deities. It included conversions for many systems, including Palladium, which promptly sued them and nearly put the tiny company out of business. WOTC published one or two additional add-ons to TPO, but the promised Underworld Order, Military Order, Economic Order, etc, never quite materialized. It seems they got slightly sidetracked with some weird card game called "Magic:The Gathering".

PenguinKing

First Post
Yes, I'm sure - it's got the "old" WotC logo on the back, and the copyright information on the inside cover includes the name "Wizards of the Coast, Inc."

(It should be noted that this is a "second edition", and lists author credits that differ from those of the "first edition", so... )

Lanbourc

First Post
The Compleat series was originally from Bard Games, who combined them into the (really great) rpg Arcanum. The versions from WotC are later editions.

-L.

Remove ads