XOTHOL

Karsten

Explorer
Has anyone created any content for the Dwarven Magic College called "XOTHOL"?
It was during Ammarindar time.

I want to use it in my campaign, but apart from a sort text, there is nothing else I could find over this.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Has anyone created any content for the Dwarven Magic College called "XOTHOL"?
It was during Ammarindar time.

I want to use it in my campaign, but apart from a sort text, there is nothing else I could find over this.
Yes also want to learn more. Are you looking to publish? If not, I wouldn't sweat it. Unless instead you are looking to save yourself a lot of work.

Have never even heard of XOTHOL before... But a Dwarven Magic College sounds super cool

Karsten

Explorer
Currently I am trying to find whether there is any material out there.
If not, which is most likely the case, I would have to create something on my own. In this case, I will update everyone here, as I have no issue to share it.

The only thing I have is from "Grand History of the Realms", which is the following texts:

" -550 DR (Year of Glistening Dust): King Azkuldar III of Ammarindar secretly creates the Xothol, an arcane college charged with guarding against the increasingly antagonistic Netherese"

" -286 DR (Year of Foul Awakenings): The Xothol is closed"

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Currently I am trying to find whether there is any material out there.
If not, which is most likely the case, I would have to create something on my own. In this case, I will update everyone here, as I have no issue to share it.

The only thing I have is from "Grand History of the Realms", which is the following texts:

" -550 DR (Year of Glistening Dust): King Azkuldar III of Ammarindar secretly creates the Xothol, an arcane college charged with guarding against the increasingly antagonistic Netherese"

" -286 DR (Year of Foul Awakenings): The Xothol is closed"
Perfect bit of "throwaway" lore to build a rich campaign into

Karsten

Explorer
Thank you for this Spectre666.
I already have a copy of this file.

The paragraphs there is merely a mention of the place and its purpose. Other than that there is nothing.
I am inclining towards making this place oriented to runic magic, as I am against the idea of dwarves wizards. You see, one of my players in the campaign is a dwarf and he wants to get involved with this thing.
That is why I tend to runes, as something more mystical and interesting in my opinion.

It seems though, that I have to create material both for Xothol as well as the use of runic magic... :)

aco175

Legend
Not sure how much you wish to get into Mystra changing the way magic works, like 3-4 times, since that point in time. It could get into some lore about dwarves not having casters or rune magic with priests back in 2e days or such.

Karsten

Explorer
Aco, my aim is to make it quite exotic, as possibility. On one hand it will be rather difficult and require a significant amount of dedication to learn+educate+execute, while on the other hand I will not make it forbidding, if he wants to get involved with this.

As to the magic, itself, I have decided to create it as a way of magic, somehow "outside" of the weave and rather towards a more mystical way. By that I mean, that it will be some sort of ritualistic way to create a rune (eg, get the ingredients, follow a certain procedure, do it on specific days/nights, etc). This way, I can explain how its step/ritual/procedure draws the mystical power from the elements, spirits, nature and even the weave in order to deliver a certain magical effect, in the form of a rune.
I still have not decided if I will allow permanent runes or not, and even if I do, to what extend those can be, in terms of power.
What I have decided though, is that parts of this type of magical art is going to be lost and/or forbidden by Moradin, in order to follow the changes that happened after the Netheril fall.

Regarding the edition you refer to, I am playing 2nd edition, only.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases