D&D 5E Yawning Portal vs Tomb of Anilhilation

lkj

Hero
Aceterak makes another "dastardly tomb"? with the same green devil face and juggernaut?

Um, yes? He likes those designs. Puts them in all his favorite digs. Honestly, I presume it's just to have a nice tie in with the previous adventure. Some cool iconic stuff from the original. And it seems reasonable that if Acererak came up with the green devil face, he'd be willing to use it again.

At any rate, as I mentioned in the rest of my post, there appear to be many, many differences between this adventure and the Tomb of Horrors adventure. At worst, this is something of a 'sequel' with a recurring D&D villain.

But I'm not trying to sell you on it. If the presence of Acererak and his green devil face makes it too much of a rehash for you, then that's fine. Was just trying to point out that this wasn't just a remake of the original.

AD

Klaudius Rex

Explorer
Fair enough.

Im just wondering if its worth it to get all excited about the new Tomb of Annhilation book when it seems that i could very well make my own Chult adventure and toss in the Tomb of Horrors dungeon from the Tales from the Yawning Portal without buying another book whose main dungeon is likley to be a rehash of whats already out there.

lkj

Hero
Fair enough.

Im just wondering if its worth it to get all excited about the new Tomb of Annhilation book when it seems that i could very well make my own Chult adventure and toss in the Tomb of Horrors dungeon from the Tales from the Yawning Portal without buying another book whose main dungeon is likley to be a rehash of whats already out there.

Understood. Probably best to wait on reviews and get input from those who buy it after it comes out to see if it's enough extra value for you.

AD

CapnZapp

Legend
Fair enough.

Still yes and you're still selling the book short :)

Last edited:

Brian Clarke

First Post
In continuity terms, I assume that what we'll see presented as the default scenario is that Acererak has survived the events of Tomb of Horrors, Return to The Tomb of Horrors (2e) and those of 4th ed Tomb of Horrors, getting his schemes foiled each time, and is now back at it once again. Without spoiling those earlier adventures, this means that the tomb in Yawning Portal cannot be what's going to be encountered in Chult-- they are separated by decades at least. ,

Remove ads