D&D 5E Yochlol 5e stat block seems lack luster or am i missing something thoughts and discusion ?

Nebulous

Legend
Summoned demons cannot summon more demons. It's one of those "learned from past mistakes" clarifications. So do it anyway. DM empowerment ftw. ;)

Demons are more about the resistances. Yochlols cast web at will, cause incap in mist form, and can dominate once per day. A yochlol who summons another can dominate two party members, mistform, then incap two more. Then the dominated characters can do the damage for them.

The dominated victims don't need to be the PC's. An unfriendly NPC travelling with or parallel to the group works. Or a maguffin NPC the charaxters are trying to protect is now attacking them.

Work the controller aspect.

Oh, summoned demons can't summon? Now that you mention that, it does sound familiar, although I'm not sure if I read that in 5e or not. But yeah, you can fudge it as DM. Hell, maybe that's the yochol's "thing", it can keep summoning allies without failure. I would definitely consider that a "feat" to boost its power if that's what someone is looking for.

My yochol was on the wall holding a baby, and spamming the party with darkness and webs, but it did nothing. They all made the saves and the dark was only mildly annoying until they stepped out of it. The paladin saved against Domination, so the yochol's coolest ability of the day was wasted. If you want to add power, I would suggest bumping Domination to 3x day. It did not get the chance to summon another one though, the party retreated fast because a whole squad of drow were approaching and it would have been a fatal fight, I really don't think the party would have survived.

the Jester

Legend
Oh, summoned demons can't summon? Now that you mention that, it does sound familiar, although I'm not sure if I read that in 5e or not. But yeah, you can fudge it as DM. Hell, maybe that's the yochol's "thing", it can keep summoning allies without failure.

I have a homebrewed demon type whose whole thing is the "keep summoning more guys!!!" thing, and they have been a monstrous bitch to deal with when the pcs encounter them since 2e. But they summon 1d6 more with a 50% chance of success, so things can rapidly get out of hand.

Nebulous

Legend
I have a homebrewed demon type whose whole thing is the "keep summoning more guys!!!" thing, and they have been a monstrous bitch to deal with when the pcs encounter them since 2e. But they summon 1d6 more with a 50% chance of success, so things can rapidly get out of hand.
That's awesome, I will use that. I've never used a "keeps summoning more guys, kill it fast!" type of foe. EDIT: Will require lots of scary miniatures :)

Nightbeat84

Explorer
For better or worse, I agree. Most everything is too bland, but that also makes it easy to add powers. I just wish WotC themselves were inclined to add official supplements, but third party does it quite well. There's the Monster Talents and Expanded Monster Manuals 1&2; between those three little books you have all the crap you would ever need to make a bland monster more interesting.
Tha is for the info I will check it out

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Add, add, add. All the devils and demons in the core book are flat, but I believe they are base creatures intended to be modified and expanded on.
Never thought of that but ya seemed they where pretty bland and I figure some should have unique things depending which demon lord they follow

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Oh, summoned demons can't summon? Now that you mention that, it does sound familiar, although I'm not sure if I read that in 5e or not. But yeah, you can fudge it as DM. Hell, maybe that's the yochol's "thing", it can keep summoning allies without failure. I would definitely consider that a "feat" to boost its power if that's what someone is looking for.

My yochol was on the wall holding a baby, and spamming the party with darkness and webs, but it did nothing. They all made the saves and the dark was only mildly annoying until they stepped out of it. The paladin saved against Domination, so the yochol's coolest ability of the day was wasted. If you want to add power, I would suggest bumping Domination to 3x day. It did not get the chance to summon another one though, the party retreated fast because a whole squad of drow were approaching and it would have been a fatal fight, I really don't think the party would have survived.
Had same thing happen to me with the dominate spell lol so I ttyed it again and the paladin save again lol. The yochlol was summoned by the drow priestess and the party still won lol

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases