Greenflame Blade Cantrip from SCAG, Courtesy of EXTRA LIFE

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page. The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this: 1st level 1st target: normal attack effects 2nd target: ability mod fire dmg 5th level 1st target: normal attack effects...

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page.

The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this:

1st level
1st target: normal attack effects
2nd target: ability mod fire dmg

5th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 1d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 1d8+mod fire dmg

11th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 2d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 2d8+mod fire dmg

17th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 3d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 3d8+mod fire dmg

Is that right?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Here is the Greenflame Blade cantrip from SCAG thanks to the Extra Life charity event. This, like the already unlocked table of contents and the preface previews of November 3rd's Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, is part of the fundraising efforts by WotC and others to raise money for children's hospitals. Next up, if they reach $70,000, is the Urban Bounty Hunter background.

SCAG_GreenflameBlade_ma9d.png

Attachments

• SCAG_GreenflameBlade_ma9d.png
    SCAG_GreenflameBlade_ma9d.png
    215.8 KB · Views: 37,319
Last edited by a moderator:

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
This was one of my favorite at-will powers from 4e for swordmages. I wanted to remake my swordmage from 4e as a 5e character but this was his most used power and the character didn't feel right without it. So glad it is back.

Paraxis

Explorer
This is very powerful for any melee class with only one attack. I foresee many rogue and cleric builds taking this cantrip.

This was one of my favorite at-will powers from 4e for swordmages. I wanted to remake my swordmage from 4e as a 5e character but this was his most used power and the character didn't feel right without it. So glad it is back.

Exact same here. I didn't mind the concept of the Eldritch Knight, but the spell selection was very poor, especially if I wanted to take advantage of War Magic. The EE supplement helped with things like Absorb Elements, or even Melf's Minute Meteors, but what I felt was really missing was at-will/cantrip support to give the feel of really mixing sword and sorcery and still feeling at least close to as effective as a Battlemaster.

Dausuul

Legend
This is very powerful for any melee class with only one attack. I foresee many rogue and cleric builds taking this cantrip.
Agreed. My 14th-level arcane trickster is drooling. 2d8 bonus damage on every sneak attack? Plus, if there's another enemy within 5 feet, I get to deal 2d8+2 damage to that enemy too? YES PLEASE.

Unfortunately, while it's awesome for rogues and clerics, it's kind of mediocre for the class it's presumably aimed at, the eldritch knight fighter. Most of the time, Extra Attack will be better.

Remove ads

Remove ads