Greenflame Blade Cantrip from SCAG, Courtesy of EXTRA LIFE

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page. The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this: 1st level 1st target: normal attack effects 2nd target: ability mod fire dmg 5th level 1st target: normal attack effects...

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page.

The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this:

1st level
1st target: normal attack effects
2nd target: ability mod fire dmg

5th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 1d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 1d8+mod fire dmg

11th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 2d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 2d8+mod fire dmg

17th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 3d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 3d8+mod fire dmg

Is that right?

Agreed. My 14th-level arcane trickster is drooling. 2d8 bonus damage on every sneak attack? Plus, if there's another enemy within 5 feet, I get to deal 2d8+2 damage to that enemy too? YES PLEASE.

Unfortunately, while it's awesome for rogues and clerics, it's kind of mediocre for the class it's presumably aimed at, the eldritch knight fighter. Most of the time, Extra Attack will be better.

This is also true for Blade Pact Warlocks, I think. Although I wouldn't mind pumping it up with Elemental Bane.

Actually, at this point I'm not clear on which classes get this cantrip added to their lists. Do we have that info yet?

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Unfortunately, while it's awesome for rogues and clerics, it's kind of mediocre for the class it's presumably aimed at, the eldritch knight fighter. Most of the time, Extra Attack will be better.
It's better in the situations it was designed for. If you are wielding a 1 handed weapon, like a long sword then at 5th level, you get 2 attacks each doing 1d8+4 damage.

If you use this cantrip and there is someone nearby, then you do 2d8+4 damage to the first one and 1d8+3 damage to the second one(assuming a 16 in your casting stat). The second attack doesn't require an attack roll so you can hit an easy to hit enemy and use that to damage a second enemy. The same thing applies to 11th level. You are doing a total of 5d8+10 points of damage when 3 attacks do 3d8+15. Plus, since you are 7th level or higher, as an Eldrich Knight you also are getting a bonus action attack so you are doing a total of 6d8+15.

Overall, that's better than making extra attacks. Yes, there are some edge cases where some feats might put you over the damage from the cantrip, but otherwise this looks pretty solid.

If you use it to attack only one enemy, it'll be worse though.

Hmm. I'm starting to question the validity of this, as it's still not posted on either the D&D website or the Extra Life page. The scan looks a little funky too, though that could maybe be my phone?

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong. It's posted on D&D's official tumblr.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah, this is broken. SA + extra d8s on top? No thanks.

Sigh.
I think it's fine.

It's not as if Rogue Sneak Attack damage is so impressive that a couple of more dice takes it over the top or anything.

Besides, it isn't free damage. You do need to take a feat or multiclass to get it, unless you go Trickster (assuming this is for them), and thus does not go Assassin.

But it's nice to see a feature that actually stacks with your primary ability. If sneak damage was already problematic and overshadowing fighter and wizard damage, I'd be much more likely to agree with you.

pukunui

Legend
Actually, at this point I'm not clear on which classes get this cantrip added to their lists. Do we have that info yet?
The ToC previewed earlier indicates that there are only cantrips for sorcerers, warlocks and wizards, so it'll be one or more of those. Since it seems like it was designed for eldritch knights, it'll have to be on the wizard list at the very least.

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong. It's posted on D&D's official tumblr.
It was also posted on FB earlier. It looks like it's a screenshot from the working file, since there's what appears to be a mouse cursor.

^ that. I admit that it may be ostensibly better on Arcane Trickster's due to how SA works, but still. At level 7 when you get the feature it allows you to up the damage on one attack, and still get a full second one off with a bonus action. On top of damaging a second enemy that is adjacent. Yes, Extra Attack becomes a more attractive single target option at level 11, but still. It provides options and feels more "Eldritch Knight" than any other cantrip previously compatible with War Magic.

Hopefully there are one or two more provided that help out with at-will melee damage that actually blends physical attacks with magic. It's what I miss from the Swordmage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads