WotC's Irwin, Tanji, and Crawford on Tales from the Yawning Portal's Art Direction

The YouTube channel Dungeon Life has posted a video featuring WotC's Kate Irwin (senior art director), Emi Tanji (senior graphic designer), and Jeremy Crawford (managing editor). It talks about designing Tales from the Yawning Portal. One of the themes discussed it how the adventures in the book were kept the same at the core, updating the stats and wording to make them feel like 5th Edition - "What would you do if you redesigned the adventures to be more like a modern D&D design? And the answer is, we didn't. What we did is we took Tomb of Horrors, and it's still Tomb of Horrors that Gary Gygax wrote..." Tales from the Yawning Portal hits preferred game stores tomorrow (ask your local store!) and everywhere else 11 days later.

The YouTube channel Dungeon Life has posted a video featuring WotC's Kate Irwin (senior art director), Emi Tanji (senior graphic designer), and Jeremy Crawford (managing editor). It talks about designing Tales from the Yawning Portal. One of the themes discussed it how the adventures in the book were kept the same at the core, updating the stats and wording to make them feel like 5th Edition - "What would you do if you redesigned the adventures to be more like a modern D&D design? And the answer is, we didn't. What we did is we took Tomb of Horrors, and it's still Tomb of Horrors that Gary Gygax wrote..." Tales from the Yawning Portal hits preferred game stores tomorrow (ask your local store!) and everywhere else 11 days later.

[video=youtube;6-rif5ag9bY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-rif5ag9bY[/video]

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 17.11.47.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 17.11.56.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 17.13.48.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 17.14.01.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 17.14.15.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 17.15.31.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 17.14.38.png

SaveSave

Cool! On a side note I saw a whole shelf of these behind the counter at my FLGS last night just waiting for Friday. I'll be there when the doors open!

I LOVE that White Plume Mountain-map. It has such a wonderfully fairly tale-flavour to it. As a DM who thought the adventure campaigns are really cool, but ultimately doesn't really fit into my way of running games (too large, too much prep), Yawning Portal will be the perfect companion book to the three core books. I imagine running adventures from Yawning Portal for many different groups, over and over again. Really, really hyped! I absolutely love the direction D&D has taken.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I received an email from Amazon about an updated delivery date for April. Until that email came in, I'd forgotten that I'd ordered it.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
The full Appendix B monster list goes as follows:
Animated Table
Barghest
Centaur Mummy
Champion
Choker
Conjurer
Deathlok Wight
Dread Warrior
Duergar Spy