The Guildpact and Five Guilds in Dungeons & Dragons Ravnica

Ravnica’s history twists and changes through conflicts, war, guild upheaval, and growth. The greatest catalyst for change in Ravnica is the ten guilds. Although the Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica doesn’t release until November, details on each guild are available now.

On the official website for Ravnica the description of the ten guilds includes a link to all the guilds’ related cards. A DM can use the descriptions, art, and flavor text to detail his or her campaign and design adventures for Ravnica. The guilds change over time, so the Guide will likely provide new details. Five guilds are covered here along with the Guildpact that binds all ten guilds together. Not every citizen of Ravnica is in a guild. Many simply try to survive day to day.

The guilds are guided and controlled by the Guildpact, a magical document laying out the laws of Ravnica that is capable of binding any guild member who violates its laws. The Guildpact was once an actual document but is now contained in the body of the planeswalker Jace.

The Chamber of the Guildpact is neutral ground where any of the guilds can gather. Any puddle of multi-colored ground can serve as neutral ground for informal meetings. When Jace leaves Ravnica for another plane, which is likely the case in the Guide, then the guilds can act more freely most likely with more conflict.

The Azorius Senate are the lawmakers and law enforcers of Ravnica. The Senate is obsessed with keeping the status quo, no matter the cost. Azorius strives to bring order to the chaos of Ravnica's streets and enforce the law. The guild functions as an intermediary between the citizens and the senate lawmakers. The Senate educates the compliant and restrains the rebellious.

While masquerading as a religion, the Orzhov Syndicate is actually a criminal business. With no economic transaction that isn't directly or indirectly under their control, they share a unifying ambition to improve their lives and fill their money purses. Orzhov is all about advancement and power even, or especially, at the expense of others.

House Dimir is a shadowy guild that few of the common people of Ravnica believe still exists. The other nine guilds know though and that it traffics in secrets, blackmail, and murder. Employing a network of spies and assassins, Dimir uses the most unassuming, average looking citizens as agents. With a keen knack for deception and manipulation, this guild exists in isolated and incredibly secretive cells across Ravnica.

Eager to invent a way to improve life, the Izzet League uses their intelligence and imagination to construct elaborate experiments like manipulating the weather. The Izzet are responsible for almost all of the beneficial technologies and magic that keep Ravnica running. Unfortunately, their impulsive and reckless research means that just as many have failed experiments with explosive results.

The Cult of Rakdos lives purely to allow its members to fulfill their own pleasure, cause mayhem, and demonstrate the frailty of life. The cult would love turn Ravnica into one big slaughter fest, but it's inflicting random death and destruction that is fulfilling, not the final ruin. However, their interest in the dark art of death has made them into top-notch mercenaries and assassins which the other guilds employ. The Rakdos Cult sees Ravnica’s future as nothing but cruel death waiting for all—and they eagerly charge forward toward that end.

The Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica will be filled with further details on the guilds, their members, monsters, plots, spells, artifacts, and lands. Many of these details would enhance any D&D world.

This article was contributed by Charles Dunwoody as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program.We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Coltarion

First Post
Wished they had put the effort into planescape would have liked it better than this crap.

I think this is a natural build-up to more Planescape content. The more settings they have developed, the more beneficial Planescape becomes. Plus, the MtG world is built around the concept of planeswalkers, which kinda plays in perfectly.

R_J_K75

Legend
I played MTG once in 1997, and hated it. Reminded me of playing Spades or Hearts, after 5 minutes I was sick of holding 15 cards and it cut into my drinking time. I also played/DM'd Planescape whcich to me was always cliunky because of the aditional rules. I know thats part of what made the setting unique but it required a certain type of dedicated player to pull off a good campaign; same as Dark Sun. I like the concept of Ravnica so this intrigues me enough to have pre-ordered the book. I hope its good and doesnt insert to many additional rules at the entry level; but I fear it'll end up just another standalone book on the shelf as Ghostwalk turned out to be. GO BILLS!!

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Another great look into what's to come!

Very much looking forward to this book and if they can get all this world's balance and information into a single setting sourcebook, along with the monsters and options they're offering.

Another great look into what's to come!

Very much looking forward to this book and if they can get all this world's balance and information into a single setting sourcebook, along with the monsters and options they're offering.

I'm also interested in seeing how Wizards handles a 5E setting. I know the maps will be amazing (a painted look based on a 3D model of the city).

I have a future Ravnica article coming up on the races. In addition to the six in the two Unearthed Arcana articles, Ravnica is also home to goblins, merfolk, and vampires. Along with several other creatures some unique to the setting and never seen in D&D before. Wizards has said in interviews that D&D Ravnica will have many monsters new to D&D included in the hardcover.

gyor

Legend
Actually Dimir is no longer a secret, but they use a front now, they pretend in public that they are Librarians, Couriers, and so on, roles filled by the lower ranks, the hirer ranks being Assassins, Spies, Guildmages, and weirder stuff.

Actually Dimir is no longer a secret, but they use a front now, they pretend in public that they are Librarians, Couriers, and so on, roles filled by the lower ranks, the hirer ranks being Assassins, Spies, Guildmages, and weirder stuff.

I actually like that change better. I assume the book will be up to date with the most current lore. Not sure if the current set(s) lore will make it in or not. There may be some sneak peeks for Magic the Gathering players in the book.

gyor

Legend
I actually like that change better. I assume the book will be up to date with the most current lore. Not sure if the current set(s) lore will make it in or not. There may be some sneak peeks for Magic the Gathering players in the book.

Not exactly, it's just after the previous group of sets, Dragon Maze, but before the current sets being release October 5th and in 2019, and book being released in a 2019. So you might see Jace Beleran the Living Guild Pact statted up, but not Bolas, and no Planeswalkers have become Guildmasters yet.

The guildmasters get statted up in the GGR, so that is a unique Ancient Dragon (Niv Mizzet), an Archangel (Aurelia), a Uberghosts (the Ghost Council), Dark Elf Lich that doesn't feed on souls (Jared), Merged Dyrads Creature (Triododi or something), Merfolk Biomancer (I forget her name), Archfiend (Rakdos), Sphinx (Ispheria), Shapeshifter of unknown kind, possibly Doppelganger or greater Doppelganger (Lazaz), Cyclops (not trying to spell his name). I look forward to that.

Also I look forward to having some new kinds of Celestials in the book, like Angels of Despair, Deathpact Angel, Boros Angels. I hope Agrus Kos is statted up.

We will undoubtedly get thrulls.

Kite474

Explorer
Not exactly, it's just after the previous group of sets, Dragon Maze, but before the current sets being release October 5th and in 2019, and book being released in a 2019. So you might see Jace Beleran the Living Guild Pact statted up, but not Bolas, and no Planeswalkers have become Guildmasters yet.

The guildmasters get statted up in the GGR, so that is a unique Ancient Dragon (Niv Mizzet), an Archangel (Aurelia), a Uberghosts (the Ghost Council), Dark Elf Lich that doesn't feed on souls (Jared), Merged Dyrads Creature (Triododi or something), Merfolk Biomancer (I forget her name), Archfiend (Rakdos), Sphinx (Ispheria), Shapeshifter of unknown kind, possibly Doppelganger or greater Doppelganger (Lazaz), Cyclops (not trying to spell his name). I look forward to that.

Also I look forward to having some new kinds of Celestials in the book, like Angels of Despair, Deathpact Angel, Boros Angels. I hope Agrus Kos is statted up.

We will undoubtedly get thrulls.

Zegana and Borborygmos (probably spelled that wrong)

But yeah I cant wait to see all the creatures that will get statted out. Some of the Rakdos demons will make awesome monsters.

Also here's hoping they bring everyone's favorite eggy boi

Image.ashx

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases