• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Domhani Bairdéir 03

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Dílis Aerach

"I read Clún and Radharc as being in the center as well, but as the focus or target of other forces rather than the instigators."

OOC:

None of the Críu is making a connection right now for the lizard. Cyr's spirit contact communicates in the most meaningful way it can, but its concerns - and 'thought processes' - are somewhat removed from the human realms.

Leif

Adventurer
Cairn MacSidhe

"So, then, by your silence, I presume that we do not know Radharc's relation to this situation yet? I don't specifically recall knowing anything of particular interest about Radharc. Can someone enlighten me?"

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
OOC:

Neurotic may have something to contribute regarding Radharc, but due to time differentials his usual posting time is early in the morning on weekdays. I think Cyr's mentioned to the party that he was in Radharc investigating the same sort of attitudes the Críu was looking into in Clún.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Cyr Escunar

No, I don't think I can add anything of importance about Radharc. Situation is eerily similar to one here, general tension, feeling of mistrust and fear, shunning of Bairdéir. Amhran and I were attacked and captured.

True, we were in Maor's house without permission, but I'd expect to be asked why and even to stand trial, not to be drugged and transported in another city, not something you expect as Bairdéir.

I'd say this particular part about disposing of Maor is just local power play, but someone in the background has interests that go beyond that. Radharc Maor could be just as well innocent as Clúns. Except, instead of Maora, main antagonist would be some military high-up.

I think we should concentrate on acompanying Maor on his trip to Radharc. Unless, of course, someone remembered something of importance. What's with that archer friend of yours? Can he be found? Talked to?

[sblock=For Cairn McSidhe]
I browsed character info from post #3 and stumbled upon your knowledge of Tóir gan Toradh. So, you might know the folowing:
Tóir gan Toradh was the only city state in Domhan to employ – or even have real knowledge of – Coimirceoir deMarbh (the Keepers of the Dead), who served both in a funerary capacity and as advisors to the royal family of King Aidrian (son Amhrán you met with Cyr).

Traditionally, they were able to communicate with the dead for the answering of questions and for foretelling the future, although both of the latter functions were fraught with peril. The dead have no love for the living and are tricky and evasive in their answers, and the future – which changes constantly as people act in the present – is impossible to predict with great accuracy. Due to their supernatural abilities and their ties to the dead, the Coimirceoir deMarbh were looked upon with superstition and distaste by the majority of the population.

Now, King Aidrian was a dark and brooding man and not a popular ruler. He was harsh, and exacted most of the ‘wealth’ from his very poor people by taxing both their goods and their income. Some five years ago, the peasants of Tóir gan Toradh rose up against their King. In a ploy to quell the riots at the least cost to himself, Aidrian spread the word about that his actions were at the behest of his Coimirceoir deMarbh, whose advice to him was part of a design on their part to bring an army of the dead into the realm of the living in order to conquer his ‘kingdom.’

Ever ready to succumb to superstition, the ignorant populace believed the King and vented their fury on Gofraidh and Ailish Tórramh. Unbeknownst to the King, 14 year old son of he keepers was staying with his best friend Amhrán – the King’s son – and escaped the horrible fate suffered by his parents, who were burned alive by the mob. When he became aware of the troubles outside the palace, he tried to get to his parents side. Amhrán, a perceptive youth who shared none of the negative characteristics of his father, prevented his friend from rushing to certain death at the side of his parents and told the newly made orphan of the King’s plotting.

The child was unable to escape the palace before Aidrian learned of his whereabouts. He was captured and imprisoned, and scheduled to be executed as well for the crimes of his parents (as a further sop to the peasantry).

It is unknown what has befallen then, but two years after that there was attack of Queen Máthair's armies. The King was found dead, horribly tortured and mutilated.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The confused and beleaguered Críu makes it way to the local mortician and asks to examine the body.

Do you intend to make it known to the mortician that you are Bairdéir?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC for Leif (and anyone else, actually)]Bairdéir is a title rather than a state of being. There is nothing about you to indicate that you are Bairdéir, other than the iron ring that is a symbol of your status (actually, it is a guarantee to any who witness it on your finger that you are in fact Bairdéir). In fact, many Bairdéir missions require 'undercover work' so Bairdéir are all given the iron ring that is the symbol of their service to the Queen, but you are not required to wear it or present it. However, it's likely that in this case you will not be allowed access to the body if you don't declare your official status.

Also (just in case there is some confusion about this) not all Bairdéir are magically bonded to the Queen. Only a VERY few - even among the Bairdéir - possess enough of the old Laoch blood to bond to a BriethRí, and some of those actually do choose not to bond. So the vast majority of Bairdéir are actually not bonded to the Queen by any ties other than their loyalty, moral values, and ideology (and their oath, of course).[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
[sblock=Mowgli]OOC: Actually, what I meant was that because we are supposedly so superior to the average people that surround us, I just thought that it would be pretty self-evident that we were some sort of 'hot shxt!'[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=Leif]Sorry - my sense of humor hadn't kicked in so I was more than a little slow on the uptake with that one (as usual, I guess). It's tough, but with some effort you can stay in 'Clark Kent' mode most of the time. :) [/sblock]

Remove ads