Retaking Myth Drannor?

SoulsFury

Explorer
I've never played or dmed in the Forgotten Realms, but from reading the campaign book and it having such a wealth of great information, I want to implement my own version of the Forgotten Realms. The only real problem I have with the realms is the lack of elven influence. The dwarves have the rift and can easily be placed in mountains anywhere. The elves don't seem to have much of a standing since the retreat, so now that the retreat has stopped, I was thinking of having them retake Myth Drannor. I was thinking have a couple dozen elves (all wizards and a the PCs and couple other guards) come over on boat, land South of the Mere of Dead Men and travel through the Sword Mountain and Krypt Garden Forest. Then up to the High Forest (where they will be welcomed by the elves there) and then head on the Black Road through Anauroch and retake Myth Drannor and build it up as a major elven metropolis. The PCs would be the advance scouts and would end the adventures with the Attack on Myth Drannor adventure. Then the wizards would open up a portal to Evermeet and elven fighters would come through and they would retake Myth Drannor and their families would come later. Is this a good idea or should it be left like it is?

Nik

JDragon

Explorer
Fury,

I think it sounds like a cool idea for a campaign. I know the few times my group has messed around in MD we have had our buts handed to us on silver platters.

My only thought would be trying to look to your next campaign (if its in the realms) and see what effect this would have on it.

JDragon

PS if you do it let us know how it goes.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Sure..but then I'd end it with all the elves going complete insane and start a homicial killing spree as well as turning Myth Drannor into a holding ground/temple for the rebirth of Moander the Darkbringer! :) Go Moandy! :D

telepox

First Post
as with anything FR, way too high magic, gun powder, evil power groups, pokemon, etc., but you're right, there is alot of info on this setting.

SoulsFury

Explorer
I doubt it will affect anything in a positive or negative away (in the near future that is). Once they retake Myth Drannor, the characters will be around 8th level, so they will continue on and I'll have them do another campaign. Other campaigns I want to do include the Freeport modules (I think I'll be putting this south of Waterdeep, just off the coast of the Lizard Marsh and have a city of Avarial in the nearby cliffs), I also want to run a War of the Undead campaign where the players have to fend off an army of undead that is taking over a country like Chessenta, and a campaign of the basic modules that take them from 1st to 20th lvl. I want to get started soon, but gotta find some online players :) Thanks for the input fellas.

Nik

Aaron L

Hero
I'm sorry, but the retaking of Myth Drannor should be a 20+ level event. :) It's a good idea though, and my current FR character, a gold elf bladesinger, has reclaiming Cormanthor as his major goal. :)

Welverin

First Post
First of all I like the idea (in fact I've thought of it myself), and it's something I'd like to be involved in myself some time.

SoulsFury said:
I doubt it will affect anything in a positive or negative away (in the near future that is). Once they retake Myth Drannor, the characters will be around 8th level, so they will continue on and I'll have them do another campaign.

Considering all of the nasty stuff running around Myth Drannor you might want to wait until the PC's are 8th level before starting the reclamation project.

Green Knight

First Post
That's funny, because the conquest of Myth Drannor was a goal in a campaign I played in YEARS ago! I was a Human Paladin (first time I ever played a Paladin) who was seeking to conquer Myth Drannor and the surrounding territory, and create a nation in which all good peoples could live in peace. I advanced to 11th level before the campaign ended (it was incomplete, so no conquest occured). My memory of it is hazy, but most of the campaign time was spent building up to it. Myself and the party were busy building alliances (including some Clerics operating in Myth Drannor and Shaundakul, himself) as well as hunting for powerful magical artifacts which could help us. My character for instance, after a fun but visciously dangerous scavenger hunt through Myth Drannnor, managed to recover the Arm of Valor!

Before the campaign ended, we had plans to make alliances with other surrounding powers, as well as have the party Fighter built a stronhold nearby to Myth Drannor to serve as a forward base against it, and use his followers as the vanguard. But the campaign ended, so all those plans went up in smoke. Ah well. It was fun while it lasted.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
telepox said:
as with anything FR, way too high magic, gun powder, evil power groups, pokemon, etc., but you're right, there is alot of info on this setting.

<rant>
For the love of...what is it with people always bashing the Realms? Why is it that anyone who posts a simple question about a FR campaign always gets one of these people complaining about how the Realms is too "high-magic?" Why shouldn't it be high-magic, if that's how you want to play your game? And what makes it so "high-magic," anyways? I don't see a single thing in the book that makes it seem any more or less magic than any other world. The DM decides how much magic to introduce into his game, so I don't see what the big problem is.

What's wrong with evil power groups? Bah.

And I have no clue where you're coming from on the pokemon part. Whatever.
</rant>

Anyways, SoulsFury, that sounds like a pretty fun idea for a campaign. I wish my group had the time/motivation to play anything long-term like that. I'd tell you to check out the "Return to Myth Drannor" adventure that came out a year ago or so, but I haven't read it, so I don't know if it's any good or not.

Ysgarran

I like the idea but you have to decide about how much of the 'canon' FR stuff you will take in and how much you will ignore.

The most important one will be how you will deal with the 'Mythal' (sp?) which is basically a very high power (and lost) elven magic. One of the things that makes Myth Drannor permanently off-limits is that no one understands this elven magic and it has also begun to go a bit hay-wire.

You could write a quite a campaign just around the idea of gaining an understanding of this ancient elven magic.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases