Retaking Myth Drannor?

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Sure..but then I'd end it with all the elves going complete insane and start a homicial killing spree as well as turning Myth Drannor into a holding ground/temple for the rebirth of Moander the Darkbringer! :) Go Moandy! :D

That is SO Scarred Lands-ish... :D

nopantsyet

First Post
My opinion is don't be afraid to depart from the FR canon. I think any campaign setting is a good place to start, but don't be afraid to alter things or add your own elements. In my FR campaign, I draw on FRCS, 2E FR supplements, and a few of the FR novels, including the Return of the Archwizards series. But for me that's still not enough detail to flesh out an interesting campaign, so I add alot of my own creation, which I try to work into the existing framework.

For example, in my realms Myth Drannor had a sister city in the Arch Wood heralding to the time that the High Forest covered the whole area from Cormanthor to the Arch Wood. Whereas Myth Drannor was the seat of the Elven Court, Myth Mirath was the seat of learning and culture. There are vestiges of this tradition remaining in the area in Highmoon, the Leaves of Learning, etc. Myth Mirath had its own mythal with its own unique properties, and a very different pattern of decay. Also, it was abandoned before the hordes that attacked Myth Drannor moved on to it. And in the underdark between the foundations of Myth Drannor and Myth Mirath sits an area inhabited by the the drow led by Jezz Jaelre while they attempt to carve out a portion of Cormanthor for themselves.

So lots of fun stuff there, but right now they just made their way to Anauroch by way of Evereska to deal with my treatment of the Phaerimm/City of Shade/Evereska conflict.

Recently the party (~lvl6) was considering trying to retake and revive Myth Drannor, but there are too may

telepox

First Post
nopantsyet said:
My opinion is don't be afraid to depart from the FR canon. I think any campaign setting is a good place to start, but don't be afraid to alter things or add your own elements. In my FR campaign, I draw on FRCS, 2E FR supplements, and a few of the FR novels, including the Return of the Archwizards series. But for me that's still not enough detail to flesh out an interesting campaign, so I add alot of my own creation, which I try to work into the existing framework.

kinda what i was saying earlier with fewer words that others cried about...

Amrynn Moonshadow

First Post
you know . . .

some of the old 2e FR suppliments / adventures and stuff describe time travel.

maybe a quest to find a long thought dead chronomancer (possibly on some other plane) and bring him/her back to toril and beaseech them to transport you and a whole bunch o' people back in time may be one way to adventure in Myth Drannor.

the drow, iirc, are infesting in cormanthor (like the elven court), no one group has sway over myth drannor. myth drannor is filled to the brim with high level monsters though. according to the books ancient red dragons are afraid of the things there.

you'd need an army to retake it, and the elves are currently pretty weak because of the whole sharn wall and return of the shade enclave deal. (stinking phaemins sp?) it will take years and years, and some sort of positive evidence that it can be re-took before the elves of evermeet decide to help out.

additionally, a little help from the drow splinter groups would be needed, for who else know how to deal with mind flayers as well as they?

I don't see how this can be done by 8th level PC's, even as subordinates to high level elven mages and their cohorts. (it's not like evermeet is strong either, as their most ancient protections are destroyed)

the elves are currently like a wounded animal, but the kind that senses that if it extends itself too much, more of its' blood will be shed.

*myth drannors current inhabitants aren't getting stronger
*the drow in cormanthor are getting stronger, so they are a bigger issue
*once the drow are out, then the elves can start healing the land, and have the place to mount a fullscale attack from
*taking out the drow would take a very long time, but the dales would want them out too, as the dales are being harried by the dark ones

a party would be able to go to deepingdale, and read up on lore about myth drannor in their history archives. also from there they could be informed by a servant to the queen that they want a small group to assess the 'situation' in their elven woods.

as the retreat is over, the elves may need a lewis & clarke expidition into their old homes to just see how much has changed. it could precipitate into a future war / battle for land, but right now, the elves would probably need reconaisance.

this could be fun?

sneaking past drow, elves aren't against assassignation (esp. not vs. drow), i know my elf pc wants to take our that jizz the lame guy from the frcs . . . and then scouting around mythdrannor.

as for getting from the west coast (sword coast) to the old forest home of cormanthyr, the black road isn't a good idea. elves aren't good as the whole desert deal, there are problems looming in that area (according to the cannon), including a fight in upper cormyr vs. shades, and the black netword (zhents) aren't keen on helping the elves at this point.

try going through the western heartlands, through south cormyr, the mountain pass, and then into deepingdale (which has a significant sympathetic population to elves).

and the FR is fine for me. and that's all that count. people who don't like it sure know a whole lot about it, in correlation to how much they apparently hate it.

telepox

First Post
Amrynn Moonshadow said:
you know . . .
people who don't like it sure know a whole lot about it, in correlation to how much they apparently hate it.

well here I can say I know a bit about Cormyr, the Shades, the Zhents, the Fire Knives, the Night Mask with their "Nameless" clone of Manshoon who is a Zent who covertly help the Shades reclaim a large portion of their Netheril legacy with some help, I'm sure, of one or two particularly tough and, as always evil, drow or two, or three, or four, or more...
I'm not saying I don't like FR, I just wish they used a few less deity names, city names, ethnic backgrounds, geographic features, etc. from our own world, that's all...

telepox

First Post
telepox said:

well here I can say I know a bit about Cormyr, the Shades, the Zhents, the Fire Knives, the Night Mask with their "Nameless" clone of Manshoon who is a Zent who covertly help the Shades reclaim a large portion of their Netheril legacy with some help, I'm sure, of one or two particularly tough and, as always evil, drow or two, or three, or four, or more...
I'm not saying I don't like FR, I just wish they used a few less deity names, city names, ethnic backgrounds, geographic features, etc. from our own world, that's all...

I say this because I don't have time in my life to detail my FR they way I want...so I wish some genuinness...

SoulsFury

Explorer
I agree it is pretty impossible if there are really that many demons there. The drow population isn't that much if hundreds of thousands of elves came to fight but what I have decided I'm gonna do (since I don't want to spend a campaign retaking Myth Drannor yet or ever) is run the campaign to retake as an epic campaign with epic level characters. We will see who can stop some demi god elves :D

Nik

Remove ads