EN World Polls & Front Page

Seeker95

First Post
Today I cast my vote on the "What would you let your players buy" poll that greeted me at the front page of the News -- my first stop when I visit ENWorld each morning. After I cast my vote, I went to read the discussion. It was only then that I see the stipulations to the poll, which would have changed my vote completely.

This happens often enough to comment that there may be a flaw in the manner in which polling is conducted, or in the decision to list polls on the front page.

Since we do not have a mechanism for changing our votes, perhaps, rather than allowing a vote from the front page, the poll could simply be listed with a link to the forum thread. Or, perhaps the first post of a poll (from the poll starter) could be listed along with the poll.

If we were taking a poll, I would also offer the option of not displaying polls on the front page, but that is an option I would not favor as a solution.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I agree, I've often noticed similar problems. People who post polls often put instructions and other relevant info in the lead post, and I think that posting the poll separately sometimes skews results.

Also, I find that "Discuss this poll" isn't the clearest way to say "post a comment on this poll". I guess if you stop and think about it, it makes sense, but I always end up clicking there when I really just want to read the discussion that's taken places already (in which case I really should be clicking on "This poll has X replies"). Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Does this wording throw anyone else?

Remove ads