The Time of Troubles, please elaborate...

JohnBrown

First Post
Hi all,

O.K., I know that that the FR Time of Troubles was a time when the avatars of the gods walked the “earth”, but other than that I have no idea about what went on or why it happened or what the consequences were. Could any of you please give a brief run-down on the “whys” and “wherefores” and the results of this event?

Thanks,

JohnBrown

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Alright, Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul died.

Waukeen went missing for a good while.

Mystra died and was reborn by Midnight who took her name and title.

Magic went nuts, wild magic and dead magic zone appeared.

Half of Tantras went dead, and Torm and Bane died.

After that Cyric and Mystra/Midnight were made gods.

Also AO made himself manifest to mortals, thus the first recorded appearance of an Uber/Over God in a mortal sphere.

Leira was ambushed by her supposed ally (Mask) and Cyric, shortly after Cyric ascended to godhood.

Waukeen attempted to circumvent the rules about gods getting back to their domains by loaning her divinity to Lliira, and then arranging for a demon lord (Grazz't?) to transport her to her home realm. Of course, you should never trust a demon lord to keep his promise, and the demon lord betrayed her and kept her hostage while he picked her brain for information. (For Duty and Deity adventure)

Bane was killed twice, if I recall correctly. I do remember once was by Torm. Pretty much, Bane had sucked in the power of all the assassins of the world (weakening Bhaal). So, in order for Torm to oppose him, he got his followers in Tantras (who were attempting to turn Tantras into a stronghold of Torm, by persecuting/executing followers of other gods, even GOOD gods) to redeem themselves by giving their life energy to him. Torm and Bane died in the fight. Torm was reborn after the Time of Troubles, because Ao said he died in the performance of his portfolio ("duty" being the portfolio, if I recall correctly).

Bhaal, as I stated, was sucked dry by Bane. Cyric murdered him by some river, leaving the river poisoned.

Mystra got some information, and wanted to ascend to the heavens to talk to Ao. Helm, in performance of his duty (guarding the entrances to the heavens), killed her. However, Mystra had set up a contingency plan, and had prepared Midnight to assume her place. In the meantime, Elminster had to hold what power he could. But he couldn't cast anything, because he couldn't control that much power. So he had to rely on the Rangers Three for protection. (Shadows of the Avatar trilogy)

Myrkul invaded Waterdeep at the head of an army of undead. Somehow, Mystra/Midnight killed him.

==============================================

So, of the deities which died and disappeared during the Time of Troubles (and immediately afterward):

Bane was killed twice. He was finally put down by Torm. His contingency plan, Xvim Iyetchu (spelling?), worked out perfectly. (Or did Xvim just pretend to split apart to be reformed into Bane?)

Bhaal was deprived of his worshippers by Bane, and subsequently murdered by Cyric, using the sword Godsbane (the avatar form of Mask). The remaining essense of Bhaal lives on in some river. (Barring the Throne of Bhaal computer game, of course.)

Myrkul was killed by Midnight/Mystra. He still lives on in an artifact, and is not inclined to attempt godhood again. He enjoys not having to deal with the restrictions.

Leira was murdered after the Time of Troubles. (Or maybe she just convinced the god Cyric that he defeated her, in an attempt to protect herself from a rather powerful and predatory adversary. After all, her only ally, Mask, was the one who set her up....)

Waukeen was held hostage by a demon lord, but an adventuring party set her free.

Mystra died at the hands of Helm (and Midnight/Mystra was later imprisoned by Helm...).

Torm died fighting Bane, but was subsequently reformed by Ao.

And this isn't even taking into account the lesser gods, or the gods from the other pantheons. There was a god of darkness underground (Imbrumal, or something like that...), murdered by Shar, for instance.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Okay Some points to take up with you Heretic. You're ALMOST right about most of this.

BANE was the one holding Mystra captive. She transferred a part of herself INTO a girl whom Cyric, Kelevmor, Adon and Mystra were protecting on their way to Castle Krag. THEN after they rescued Mystra, she died trying to get in by Helm.

The first time Bane died was in Shadowdale at a temple of Lathander WHERE there was a gateway. Mystra, along with some help from Elminster, dispatched Bane.

I'm sure Bane had this plan with Xvim in place BEFORE he stole the tablets. I do think he had SOME foreplanning involved in this. At least I HOPE so.

Yeah but didn't that happen AFTER ToT Heretic?

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Heretic Apostate said:
Bane was killed twice. He was finally put down by Torm. His contingency plan, Xvim Iyetchu (spelling?), worked out perfectly. (Or did Xvim just pretend to split apart to be reformed into Bane?)

That would be Iyachtu Xvim.

Heretic Apostate said:

And this isn't even taking into account the lesser gods, or the gods from the other pantheons. There was a god of darkness underground (Imbrumal, or something like that...), murdered by Shar, for instance.

And that would be Ibrandul.

JohnBrown

First Post
Thank you all, but...

First of all, thanks for all of the information. However, I see that I wasn’t clear in my question. I wasn’t looking for exactly what happened. Although I have to admit, I think I’ll actually have to read the books now, because it sounds fascinating. I was looking for more general statements. Why did Ao make all the gods walk the earth? In general, what happened to the gods while they were there? What was the aftermath?

Again thanks for all the quick feedback,

JohnBrown

Edit: mispellings

Last edited:

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Okay Bronze, maybe YOU can clarify this for me. Did Ibrandul die during or after the Time of Troubles?

I do not have the sources at hand, but I always understood it to happen just after the time of troubles.

Shar supposedly took care to only act when confusion still had most of the realms in its grasp, and the death of a minor god would not be felt.

Indeed, the worshippers of Ibrandul still pray to him, and not to Shar. What she does is give them spells so that his faith is kept alive and so that Shar can start to approach one of the places she covets (Waterdeep), without raising suspicion.

Ibrandul has a small faith in Waterdeep, mainly because of the gigantic Undermountain complex, and this was perceived by Shar to be an interesting way to enter the city.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases