The Keep on the Borderlands - Location?

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Just wondering -has there ever been an "official" location given for Kendall Keep in Greyhawk? I'm planning on using TKotBL as an introductory C&C adventure and I'd like to set it in it's proper place in Greyhawk.

John Morrow

First Post
VorpalBunny said:
Just wondering -has there ever been an "official" location given for Kendall Keep in Greyhawk? I'm planning on using TKotBL as an introductory C&C adventure and I'd like to set it in it's proper place in Greyhawk.

This document might help you:

http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/greyhawk/repair.txt

I think the official location is mentioned in Return to the Keep on the Borderlands and it's mentioned briefly in that document, as well as an alternative location. Note that a lot of the information in this document references material from the Return to the Keep on the Borderlands module.

You'll also probably want this:

http://www.jumpspace.net/DnD/Modules.html

Finally, I recommend both Return to the Keep on the Borderlands and the Hackmaster Little Keep on the Borderlands modules to help flesh things out and add more detail to the keep. The latest two issues of Knights of the Dinner Table (99 and 100) also have articles about the Hackmaster version of the Keep including 3D images and dungeons to place below the Keep.

Insight

Adventurer
Actually, the original Keep on the Borderlands is not set in Greyhawk. In fact, it's not specifically in any D&D setting. Given when it came out, it should be placed in the Known World (Mystara), but you could plop it down anywhere you want. Put it in Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, etc, with just a little tweaking of the background. If you read the introductory text, it's pretty generic and thus usable anywhere.

EDIT: I have not read Return to Keep on the Borderlands or the Hackmaster version, Little Keep on the Borderlands. I am referring only to the original module that came out in 83 or so.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Most (if not all) Mystara fans locate it in the Altan Teppes, Northwest of Kelvin. It's called Castelan Keep, and is on the map of Karameikos which came with Gaz 1.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
No setting information was given in the original version of the adventure. This shouldn't be considered too strange, as TSR hadn't published any campaign setting yet; B2 preceded the World of Greyhawk folio by about a year. Given the author, I'd assume it was originally set in Greyhawk. There was a thread somewhere, where Gary Gygax suggested the Keep be put on the western border of the Pomarj. Wish I could find it. I should note, some Cannonical Greyhawk modules like the GD series which were published in the same time period also have no campaign setting information in them.

In the 1983 Expert boxed set, there was a suggestion that the Keep be put in the Altan Teppes mountains on the north-east border of Karameikos in the Known World. In the same year, the 1983 World of Greyhawk boxed set listed suggested locations for a number of modules, but didn't list B2 (or B1, curiously, even though it listed a number of possible Greyhawk locations in its first couple of printings). So, as of 1983, regardless of the original intentions, the Keep was set pretty firmly in the Known World. The 1986 B1-9 compilation and the 1987 GAZ1 Grand Duchy of Karameikos cemented this relationship by adapting the location suggestion from the 1983 Expert set.

When TSR did the 1999 Return to the Keep on the Borderlands, they put it in Greyhawk, since the Known World/Mystara campaign had long since been discontinued. I believe they put it in the Yeomanry. Kenzer's Little Keep on the Borderland is located in their own Garweze Wurld.

Personally, I really like the Altan Teppes location for the Known World and the Pomarj location for Greyhawk.

R.A.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
rogueattorney said:
No setting information was given in the original version of the adventure. This shouldn't be considered too strange, as TSR hadn't published any campaign setting yet; B2 preceded the World of Greyhawk folio by about a year. Given the author, I'd assume it was originally set in Greyhawk. There was a thread somewhere, where Gary Gygax suggested the Keep be put on the western border of the Pomarj. Wish I could find it. I should note, some Cannonical Greyhawk modules like the GD series which were published in the same time period also have no campaign setting information in them.

When I get home from work, I'll dig out my copy of Return to the Keep on the Borderlands and see what it says, but I like the western Pomarj as a location, too. I plan on setting the game pre-Greyhawk wars (i.e. 1st edition Greyhawk) so the Pomarj seems like a good place.

If the game takes off, its proximity to Highport and the Sea of Gearnat will certainly come in handy - there's been talk of ships with yellow sails raiding the coastal towns there... :]

cmanos

First Post
Insight said:
I am referring only to the original module that came out in 83 or so.

I had it in '79. I don't believe there was an official location. The old World of Greyhawk boxed set did have locations of most of the mods in existence. I don't recall if KotB was listed.

Insight

Adventurer
Sorry. I don't have the mod in front of me. I'll defer to those who have memorized the year of publication, as I have not.

Remove ads