Planet names of Settings

Staffan

Legend
Southern Oracle said:
Technically, the name for the planet on which the Forgotten Realms, Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, and Maztica campaign settings take place is Abeir-Toril.
Among the northern barbarians, perhaps. In civilized regions, it's called Al-Toril.

Mystara was also mentioned, which is the name of that planet. IIRC, the continent on which things are centered is called Brun, and the Known World is the eastern part of that continent (east of Hule, south of Wendar).

As for Dark Sun, the only information given about its solar system is that it has two moons, Ral and Guthay, and that the crystal sphere surrounding the system is portal-less. Oh, and there's a comet called the Messenger that appears every now and then - it was supposed to appear something like 5 years after the release of the original box set, but didn't.

fusangite

First Post
I'm not very interested in published setting materials but this thread I'm finding really interesting. I can't believe what a huge proportion of the worlds/universes in published materials are or contain planets.

It seems really weird to me that given all the possibilities, that so many designers would choose to conceptualize the place in which adventures take place as planets. After all, none of the standard cosmological systems like the Great Wheel require any of the worlds within them to be planets.

Do people have any thoughts on why designers tend to make the worlds they describe into planets?

Hawklord

First Post
There are 11 "planetary" bodies in the Greyhawk system (or crystal sphere).
This is all from the Greyspace book for Spelljammer so how much of this is still canon in third edition who knows!
  • Oerth (standard Greyhawk setting) which all the others orbit round.
  • Kule - one of Oerth's moons (airles moon with drow mind-flayer and kuo-toa underground)
  • Raeni - oerthlike atmosphere various settlers and monsters
  • Liga - Oerth's sun inhabited by various fire-based creatures
  • The Grinder - basically an asteroid belt with lots of undead
  • Edill - an "air world" mostly inhabited by dragons
  • Gnibile - another "air world" with flying rocks inhabited by undead
  • Conatha - a "water body" inhabited by various sahuagin mermen etc.
  • Ginsel - A crescent shaped body inhabited mostly by humans
  • Borka - a cluster of thousands of rocks inhabited by gobiloids and orcs
  • Greela - another "cluster body" inhabited by humans and elves
  • The Spectre - a "disk world" inhabited by various races

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
Do people have any thoughts on why designers tend to make the worlds they describe into planets?

The main settings; Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms were all detailed in planetary terms during the second edition so that they could be used in conjunction with the Spelljammer setting which was in full production at the time. It simply hasn't been changed or updated since then. The planetary status of other settings for that period; such as Dark Sun and Ravenloft were likewise clarified to clear up how they did or didn't match up with the Spelljammer setting: Athas (Dark Sun) had no portals through which Spelljamming vessels could pass to enter its crystal sphere while Ravenloft didn't actually have any space in which a spelljammer could fly (that was clarified in a Sage Advice IIRC: if you flew high enough above the ground in Ravenloft you'd eventually encounter the mists and come out somewhere else in the Domain). I suspect the last two clarifications were made to help preserve the flavour of the two settings and to help keep them distinct from other Campaign Settings. They didn't want PCs trying to set up an intestellar iron trade on Athas or PCs escaping the Domains of Dread by Spelljammer.

The big exception to the campaign setting = planet rule is, of course, Ravenloft. The Domains of Dread are all part of a demiplane rather than a planet. It's unclear what the sun, the moon and the stars in the skies of Ravenloft actually are though it seems likely that they aren't celestial bodies in the sense we're used to thinking of them. Perhaps they are the homes of the Dark Powers or the Dark Powers themselves or simply illusions created by the Dark Powers. Who knows?

I suspect the reason that designers usually make campaing settings on planets is because it's easier for them to imagine them the way we're all used to thinking of worlds. That, and because some PCs would innevitably try to attack and kill the giant turtle supporting the world on its back if they could find it. Imagine the XP... *drools* :]

fusangite

First Post
Ambrus said:
The main settings; Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms were all detailed in planetary terms during the second edition so that they could be used in conjunction with the Spelljammer setting which was in full production at the time. It simply hasn't been changed or updated since then. The planetary status of other settings for that period; such as Dark Sun and Ravenloft were likewise clarified to clear up how they did or didn't match up with the Spelljammer setting:... etc.
Thanks for this. I had no idea about any of this stuff. It does sort of put things in context.
I suspect the reason that designers usually make campaing settings on planets is because it's easier for them to imagine them the way we're all used to thinking of worlds.
That seems strange to me for some reason. These guys are creative fellows; it just seems odd, given the prevalence of worldviews in the past that didn't think in these terms. It just seems to me that if you're writing about a world full of gods and magic that planetary systems would hardly be the first thing you would think of. But maybe it's just further evidence that I'm weird.
That, and because some PCs would innevitably try to attack and kill the giant turtle supporting the world on its back if they could find it. Imagine the XP... *drools* :]
Again and again, no less; after all, it's turtles all the way down.

Hawklord

First Post
BOZ said:
Birthright... ah, i know i've heard it before... was it Cerilia or was that a country?
Cerilia was the main continent the action took place on.. I think the planet was called Aebrynis.

Aristotle

First Post
fusangite said:
These guys are creative fellows; it just seems odd, given the prevalence of worldviews in the past that didn't think in these terms. It just seems to me that if you're writing about a world full of gods and magic that planetary systems would hardly be the first thing you would think of.

I think (and I believe I've read this in a book somewhere) it has less to do with the creativity of those involved in the creation and more to do with the ability of those reading/playing the setting to visualize or conceptualize it. If you stick with what your readers/players know, they will be more easily able to properly visualize the setting and be able to interact with it with less hesitation. This, as I understand it, is why most worlds are round, most skies are blue, and most plants are generally thought of as being mostly green.

One could argue that it is taking the easy way out, I suppose. I personally prefer a round world filled with biomes that at least partially resemble those I might be able to visit in the real world.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The planetary system for Krynnspace (the Dragonlance solar system) is as follows, from the center outwards:

The Sun
Sirrion
Reorx
Krynn (moons are Solinari, Lunitari, and Nuitari)
Chislev
Zivilyn (moons are Gilean, Shinare, Takhisis, Sargonnas, Morgion, Chemosh, Zeboim, Hiddukel, Mishakal, Paladine, Kiri-Jolith, and Majrere)
Nehzmyth
The Stellar Islands

Not nearly as much is known about the Eberron planetary system. The sun appears to just be called The Sun. The planet itself is Eberron, and it has a ring around the world called Siberys. It has twelve moons (one for each month) named Zarantyr, Olarune, Therendor, Eyre, Dravago, Nymm, Lharvion, Barrakas, Rhaan, Sypheros, Aryth, and Vult. There was once a thirteenth moon, as there was a thirteenth dragonmark, but after its holders were eradicated in the War of the Mark, this moon (apparently) vanished. There are also eleven constellations, one for each dragon deity (described in Draconomicon).

Mystara itself is a hollow planet. The interior has the atmosphere only hugging the outer edges. In the exact center is a space-like void in which its sun hangs. Mystara has two moons, Matera (which is like our moon), and Patera (which is invisible to most viewing, and where the Mystaran Immortals congregate). Mystara has what's known as the Skyshield around its atmosphere, keeping the planet's atmosphere from being lost, since its hollow nature means it doesn't have enough gravity to retain a normal atmosphere. The World Shield, the material deep in the earth that divides the surface world from the Hollow World, also adds gravity. Note that there are gaping holes to the Hollow World (hundreds of miles across) at each pole of the planet.

Athas's sun is, apparently, also just called The Sun. It has two moons. The larger one, golden in color, is called Guthay. The smaller, silver one is called Ral. Athas did see the periodic orbit of a comet called the Messenger, but lately it hasn't appeared.

Information on the planetary system of the Birthright setting is virtually nil. The planet is called Aebrynis, and that's about all we know (it's assumed to have a sun and a moon).

And just to recap, here's the information for the previously mentioned campaigns:

Hawklord said:
There are 11 "planetary" bodies in the Greyhawk system (or crystal sphere).
This is all from the Greyspace book for Spelljammer so how much of this is still canon in third edition who knows!
  • Oerth (standard Greyhawk setting) which all the others orbit round.
  • Kule - one of Oerth's moons (airles moon with drow mind-flayer and kuo-toa underground)
  • Raeni - oerthlike atmosphere various settlers and monsters
  • Liga - Oerth's sun inhabited by various fire-based creatures
  • The Grinder - basically an asteroid belt with lots of undead
  • Edill - an "air world" mostly inhabited by dragons
  • Gnibile - another "air world" with flying rocks inhabited by undead
  • Conatha - a "water body" inhabited by various sahuagin mermen etc.
  • Ginsel - A crescent shaped body inhabited mostly by humans
  • Borka - a cluster of thousands of rocks inhabited by gobiloids and orcs
  • Greela - another "cluster body" inhabited by humans and elves
  • The Spectre - a "disk world" inhabited by various races

For Realmspace:
Amrbus said:
They are, in order, out from the sun:

• Anadia (Sperical earth planet with Umber Hulks and polar halflings inhabitants)
• Coliar (Spherical gas planet w/ floating earth islands, aarakocra and lizardmen inhabitants)
• Abeir-Toril (Spherical earth planet)
• Karpri (Spherical water planet inhabited by aquatic elves and giant insects)
• Chandos (Spherical water planet inhabited by humans, dwarves and orcs)
• Glyth (Spherical earth planet w/ rings with mind flayer and humanoid slave inhabitants)
• Garden (A cluster of asteroids held together by a huge living plant called Yggdrasil's child)
• H'Catha (A flat water world with a single mountain on both sides; inhabited by beholders)

Mark Plemmons said:
Technically, in the Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting, Tellene is a continent, though its inhabitants believe it encompasses the entirety of the planet. Tellene has a warm-to-temperate climate. The southernmost tip of Tellene lies at roughly 20º latitude, while the northernmost explored areas rest at about 54º latitude. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

So Tellene is the name for the continent and the name for the planet.

Orbiting Tellene are three moons: Diadolai (Elven Moon), Pelselond (Big Star) and Veshemo (Mother Above). Diadolai is the smallest of the three moons and is reddish-pink in color. It is on an 80 day cycle from full moon to full moon. For most of the 80 day period, however, Diadolai does not appear in the nighttime sky. Because of its size (about 1/3 the size of Veshemo), Diadolai does not give off much light, even when full. The elves believe Diadolai to be the home of the gods.

Pelselond is a small moon as well, appearing only slightly larger than Diadolai. Pelselond’s full moon cycle is approximately 34 days and it usually appears white or off-white in color. Pelselond has an elliptic orbit and therefore, appears to be moving at varying speeds across the sky.

Veshemo is the largest of the three moons and occasionally eclipses the other moons from view. It is on a 28 day cycle, which is the basis for the calendar that most of Tellene uses. On the 14th of every month Veshemo is full; but being pale yellow in color, Veshemo gives off only slightly more light than Pelselond.

Every 280 years the three moons are aligned and full simultaneously. This event is recognized, but not necessarily celebrated, by almost every religion on Tellene. Veshemo and Diadolai are full together on various days in a 20 year cycle. Veshemo and Pelselond as well as Pelselond and Diadolai are full together at least once per year. Veshemo, Pelselond and Diadolai align or are full concurrently once every few years in a 40 year cycle. Two of the moons are in alignment several times a year.

The Brightstar: Another star exists only about half a light year away from Tellene’s. It is a double star with its twin being a black hole. The two rotate around each other so this very bright star slowly disappears and then reappears. Some hold that the two stars influence good and evil. While the Brightstar shines goodwill prospers, but when it dims, evil reigns supreme.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Ravenloft has different celestial bodies depending on which domain you are in. Soth's domain of Sithicus was taken/based from Dragonlance and has only one moon, Nuitari IIRC. Nova Vassa had something like seven moons in one of the products featuring the domain (though it is the domain with the most changes from product to product).

This caused a little reality glitch as when the mists and domain lords don't keep the borders separated they are physically connected but could have different astronomical features as you crossed the invisible domain borders.

Remove ads