Planet names of Settings

RSKennan

Explorer
Morningstar is a binary world; The larger of the two is where most of the action currently takes place.

The Larger world is called Thraxis, and its sister is called Arril. The larger world is about 3 times the size of earth, and the smaller one is bit bigger than mars-sized.

It's fantasy, so the flows and pools of magic keep the planets from ripping completely apart - for now.

Nellisir

Hero
My homebrew IS a flat, infinite plane. It's surrounded by Nothing, which slowly resolves into the Rim, or the Outer Realms. The Elemental Realms lie between the Rim and the Prime, and at the heart of the Prime is the Well Between Worlds. The whole affair is known simply as "the Wyrld".

Regions in the Prime have their own names; i.e. Shadowood / Shadowend, Winterfall, Dranamar, & Amk'hilur.

There are two moons and one sun; all are more akin to artifacts than planetary bodies, and have been borne or guided by different deities over the Ages.

There are lots and lots of stars; what they are depends on who you ask.

It's hypothesized that the Shadowrealm is the underside of the Prime, and you can get there if you go deep enough into the Wyrld.

Cheers
Nell.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Estlor said:
Mystara has two moons, known to Mystarans proper as Patera and Matera. Patera is like our own moon; a desert-like wasteland save for the pocket plane anchored to it that contains Pandius, the city of the Immortals. Matera cannot be seen by the naked eye outside its atmosphere, rendering it invisible. The inhabitants of the moon - oriental rakasata - call it Myoshima. And yes, unlike the poster above said, Patera is visible, Matera is not. You can't see Pandius, however, because its in a different planar space.

I'm 99.99% certain you've got these backwards (I'd be 100% if I could dig out my copy of the Poor Wizard's Almanac). Matera is the visible moon that's like ours, and Patera is the one called Myoshima by the natives, and has the city of Pandius.

What IS known, however, is in 2e sense Mystara was part of a different dimension separate from all other AD&D worlds because 1) it had Immortals instead of gods and 2) it did not support the Great Wheel planar cosmology of the multiverse.

There are multiple points of evidence that contradict this, and say that Mystara was part of the 2E Great Wheel cosmology and had deities.

The Planewalker's Handbook, a Planescape supplement, talks about Mystara when it mentions notable worlds of the Prime Material Plane, right there in the same context as Toril, Oerth, Athas, and others.

The Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix, the 2E incarnation, listed multiple monsters (such as the diaboli) as being from the "Demiplane of Nightmares", which is clearly them moving the old Mystara cosmology into the Great Wheel.

In Warriors of Heaven, Table 11 at the back of the book has a listing of good and neutral deities that celestials can serve. It lists their divine rank (demigod, lesser, etc.), and their home plane and realm on the Great Wheel. Right in beside the various other AD&D deities are the Immortals from Mystara - except they aren't Immortals there; they're gods, listed in terms of being deities (Rad, for instance, is an Intermediate deity who lives on the Quasielemental Plane of Radiance).

Before 2E reached its end, Mystara was quite clearly part of the Great Wheel cosmology, and had gods, not Immortals.

3(.5)E remains in keeping with the 2E version of Mystara. For example, both Atzenteotl and Ka are listed as being greater deities (in Dragon issues #315 and #318, respectively). Likewise, the diaboli are (in Dragon #327) said to still be from the "Demiplane of Nightmares", which is now listed as being coterminous with the Region of Dreams and the Ethereal Plane, and a relative closeness to the Far Realm.

Admittedly, the 3(.5)E cosmology doesn't have the Region of Dreams (and the article on the diaboli doesn't seem to indicate if it was referring to the Border Ethereal for the Prime, or the Deep Ethereal, which isn't part of the core cosmology any longer), but the Color Curtain separating the Deep and Border Ethereal in 2E was effectively the same thing. Likewise, the Far Realm was part of the 2E planar structure (albeit outside of it, but it was there), since it was introduced in the 2E module The Gates of Firestorm Peak.

Last edited:

yogipsu

First Post
Cerilia was the main continent the action took place on.. I think the planet was called Aebrynis.

It was. Other continents included Aduria to the north and the cold, arctic Thaele, populated by giants. I think there's also a Basarji homeland somewhere, too, but it's been a long time since I read through the Birthright stuff. (Funny, BR - my favorite setting, one where I own all the supplements, and the one that I never got to game in even once ;) ).

I actually wonder what the value of naming the "planet" of a fantasy setting has, other than for convenience of us, I suppose. As near as I can tell, our own planet has never had, and still doesn't have, a proper name at all. "Earth" or "Dirt" not being my idea of a proper name for a planet, that is. ;)

What I particularly don't like are simple perversions of the word Earth to make it "fantastical sounding" like Yrth or Oerth. Those are just silly, IMO.

dungeon blaster

First Post
Here's a planet question for you.

Let's say you had a binary star system with a yellow sun like ours revolving with a black hole. Then you had a planet revolving around the both of them. First, is this physically possible? Would the planet be forced into a highly elliptical orbit? What would it look like from the planet inhabitants point of view if the the sun and black hole rotated? Would the sun and black hole need to be of equal mass (and therefore hole would need to be quite small)?

Also, I would like to hear some of the names of your homebrew worlds and kingdoms. I need to come up with about 12 or so new kingdoms.

Remove ads