Planet names of Settings

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Voadam said:
Ravenloft has different celestial bodies depending on which domain you are in. Soth's domain of Sithicus was taken/based from Dragonlance and has only one moon, Nuitari IIRC.

Since Spectre of the Black Rose, and, more recently, Ravenloft Gazetteer IV, the disparity of Sithicus's moon from that of the rest of the Core has been resolved somewhat.

Prior to the Hour of Screaming Shadows, Nuitari was the only moon in Sithicus (it functioned the same as it did on Krynn). However, in the days leading up to the HoSS, Solinari appeared, and Lunitari did also with a few hours to spare. After the Hour of Screaming Shadows ended, the moon was now a tripartite moon of white, black, and red.

According to Gaz IV (as I understand it anyway, it's not completely clear from the wording) the new Nuitari looks normal (like the moon elsewhere) except to creatures with supernatural or spell-like abilities (I assume the ability to cast spells must be there somewhere also). For them, neutral creatures see a rose-like design on the moon, and evil creatures see more horrendous things (no mention of good creatures). Of course, the unnatural shadows it casts on the landscape are visible to everyone.

As before, Nuitari's waxing and waning affects the power of (only) arcane spellcasters. However, it now follows a full-month cycle, instead of just eight days. Also, it's bonuses and penalties are reversed from what they were (as happened to much of Sithicus).

Nova Vassa had something like seven moons in one of the products featuring the domain (though it is the domain with the most changes from product to product).

I vaguely recall this, and while it never had any official errata or retraction, everyone pretty much ignores it (especially since this domain is supposed to be from Toril, which has one moon).

fusangite

First Post
Aristotle said:
I think (and I believe I've read this in a book somewhere) it has less to do with the creativity of those involved in the creation and more to do with the ability of those reading/playing the setting to visualize or conceptualize it. If you stick with what your readers/players know, they will be more easily able to properly visualize the setting and be able to interact with it with less hesitation. This, as I understand it, is why most worlds are round, most skies are blue, and most plants are generally thought of as being mostly green.
Living in a world that isn't round isn't jarring like a pink sky or unrecognizeable foliage; it's totally consistent with many pre-modern people's lived experience of this world. Ancient Hebrews imagined the world to be a flat disc. Ancient Chinese also imagined a flat world, etc. The day to day experience of living on a flat world is not different than this one, provided you have an alternate explanation for the horizon. To many pre-modern people, the flat earth was a self-evident truth that described and explained their day to day lived experience.

Even pre-moderns who understood the world to be round (most Europeans, North Africans and West Asians before the 16th century) didn't see it as a planet. The day to day experience of living on a round world that is not a planet is absolutely indistinguishable from from the lived experience of being on a round world that is a planet.

So I just don't buy that it would be hard to figure out how to act in a world that is just like this one in terms of all day to day experience that doesn't involve space travel or complex kinematics equations (which I hope are not mainstays of any standard D&D campaign using a setting like Greyhawk). What would be different?
One could argue that it is taking the easy way out, I suppose. I personally prefer a round world filled with biomes that at least partially resemble those I might be able to visit in the real world.
You can have all that without the world being a planet. And you can have all but one of those things without the world being round.

mac1504

Explorer
twofalls said:
Midnight: Eredane

IIRC (and I have been known to be wrong before...) Eredane is the continent in which Midnight is set. Aryth is the planet, as there is another continent that the Sarcosans and Dorns have come from named Pelluria.

Gez

First Post
Any world created by Gygax will have a planet name ending in -rth, with two vowels before. Oerth, Aerth, Eurth, Eirth, Airth, Eerth, Oarth, etc. are all perfectly valid Gygaxian world names. :)

Funny thing is, in its French version of Greyhawk (setting name is unchanged, but the city becomes Faucongris), Oerth is named Taerre (since Terre=Earth). I expect the German version to be something like Orde (Erde=Earth).

Trivia: The Forgotten Realms' world was named Toril, copying Jeff Grubb's homebrew's name. But Toril starts with a T, which means it wasn't at the top of the index. So, Abeir was tacked on before, just so that Abeir-Toril would be the first entry in the index.

My homebrew's solar system works like this:

Prime is the name of the sun. It's what people can expect for such a thing: a mind-boggingly big sphere of fire, heat, light, and raw energy.
Limiole is the first planet. A hot place, rich in metals and crystals, with intense telluric activity. It's the homeworld of azers and genies. All life here is either supernatural, in order to resist to the intense heat and bright, or very primitive -- vermins and oozes. Its color in the night sky is bright gold.
Parele is Limiole's moon. Its orbit, which doesn't bother itself with real-world astrophysics, put it constantly in the shadow of its "mother-planet," shielding it from Prime's fiery rays. As a result, Parele is a white world of ice and snow. It's as bright and dazzling as Limiole, but cold. The exiled genies known as Qorrash lives there, and it is very possible their magic could explain Parele's quirky orbit.
Peline is the second planet. Inhabited by fey, animals and magical beasts, Peline is a beautiful, if wild and harsh, world, that seems perpetually in autumn. With the exception of a couple tiny seas and a few mountaintops, the whole landmass is covered by forests. Peline is a russet world.
Peline has no moon but it has a ring Lourane, that orbits it lowly enough to be within its atmosphere. Lourane is the home of mighty elemental nobles, as well as genie outcasts from Limiole or the most powerful and excentric amongst Peline's inhabitants.
Edhel is the third planet. Unless the third planet is Rhane. Together they are called Erdelane and forgotten legends tell in the past, it was a single planet. Now it's two twin planets of the same size. Edhel is inhabited by just about everything, as it is the campaign world. Rhane is inhabited by the gods from the people of the surface, and by petitioners and servants of the gods.
Edhel's core is missing. Instead, the hollowness in its heart, that resulted from its separation with its twin, has been filled by an infection of fiends, like worms within an apple. This fiendish cancer is made up of three parts. The uppermost is the Cataract, an inverted world where the ground is a ceiling and there is no bottom. There, daemons live. Buidings hang or dangle from the ceiling rock, tunnels and caves are dug within said ceiling, weakening it. Sometimes, huge chunk of rocks break off, falling into the void, bringing daemons, buildings, monsters, visitors, and whatnot into the Abysm, a foggy haze pulsating with malevolent, nauseating light. Demons live within that haze, teleporting or jumping from rock to rock, wrecking havoc. Theirs is a world of endlessly falling, tumbling, colliding meteors. There they destroy and kill things, and when nothing's left to destroy or kill, they create monstruosities for the sole purpose of destroying them. Sometimes, they are destroyed instead. But even infinities have an end, and at the end of the fall, the rocks conglomerate into Hell, where devils are using all those material to build a new planet. One day, maybe, Edhel will implode, its surface inhabitants plumetting to their hellish doom through the Abysmal fog, and a new fiendish world will be born. Everytime the daemons trick one more soul into evil, one more rock fall from the Cataract into the Abysm. For the fiendish core is nothing but the physical symptom of a spiritual disease.
Duedrac, the fourth planet, is an enigmatic world. Constantly surrounded by thick, impenetrable green clouds, nobody ever came back from it. [Fact is, said green clouds negate all magic. It's not easy to leave a world if you can't use planeshift, teleport, or even fly.] Duedrac is thus associated to its moon, Meravone, home of formians, fungi, and various other insectile or quasi-vegetal lifeforms.
Lerebre, the fifth and last planet, is a grim place indeed. Too far from Prime to get enough heat and light, it is a dark and cold place. The weather is harsh, full of storms, and lightning is for most lifeforms the only sufficient source of energy. The vegetation there use metallic spines so as to better gather the precious electrical energy, just like vegetation on other worlds use chlorophylian leaves so as to better "harvest" sunlight. It's a world where the undead, unhampered by the lack of light and of heat, proliferate. The native world of a strange, faceless folk (the Changeling from MM3) ruled by enigmatic and cruel monsters (Encephalon Gorger from TOH2) is deadlocked in a constant war between the living and the dead.
Its two moons, Apobre and Obrodon, are even worse. These two small worlds are desolate wastelands. Temperature is higher than on Lerebre thanks to intense volcanic activity, but this doesn't improve the landscape. The birthplaces of kytons and night hags, who turned these two moons into giant charnel houses to fuel their necromantic experiments. Demodand arose from one of them, and they are in turn the progenitors of all other fiends. Now their servants steal corpses from other planets (and especially the nearby Lerebre) in order to keep their labs well stocked. They're partly responsable for the undead invasion of Lerebre -- and don't give a damn, of course.

Dirigible

Explorer
The only clarification I cano offer to the many and various answers above is that the planet of Birthright is known as both Aebrynis or Aubrynis, depending on which suppliment you're reading. I'm not sure which is correct, but I prefer Au- myself.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Oriental:

The old Oriental Adventures was Kara-Tur. The new one has the implied Campaign Setting of Rokugan (though it isn't necessary to play in rokugan, it's just the big example, not even using all races and classes). AFAIK, nothing is known about the Planet Rokugan is located on, or if it is a planet at all. The Emerald Empire (another name for Rokugan) is a very isolated realm. The direct neighbours are known, more or less, but nothing beyond that. It may be a planet, or a flat world, or something else. It just doesn't matter for the Campaign Setting. And AFAIK it doesn't connect with the other D&D worlds in any official way.

Forgotten Realms:
As we have heard, it's Abeir-Toril, or just Toril, with the main action going on on and around the continent of Faerûn. It's moon is called Selûne, and is the manifestation of the goddess Selûne, one of the two oldest deities of Realmspace. The planet itself is the manifestation of the goddess Chauntea. The Sun is simply a big pile of rock that has been inflamed by Selûne, using a connection to the elemental plane of fire. Though there was a sungod once, the Netherese deity Amaunator. There is a cult that claims that Lathander is the reincarnation of Amaunator, and that he soon will reach his zenith and claim his rightful place as the ruler of the gods. Lathander himself has neither denied nor confirmed that, but has dubbed said followers as legitimite Lathanderites, probably to keep them and "normal" Lathanderites from fighting over their divergent faith.

Estlor

Explorer
arscott said:
I think Mystara's a tube, with the hollow world on the inside. It may just be a hollowed out sphere with holes at the poles, though. I've seen it depicted both ways.

First, the planetary name of the Mystara (or Known World, if you prefer) setting IS Mystara. It is a sphere, slightly smaller than our own Earth, with openings at either magnetic pole to permit travel into the hollow inside. The planet is surrounded by a "Sky Shield" that keeps the atmosphere inside. I believe the Sky Shield only extends above the inner crust of the Hollow World a few thousand miles, meaning the planet is like a hollow globe with the void of space around and in it. (Of course, there is also a World Shield that runs down the middle of the planet to give it gravity. This results in some funky gravity feats if you walk right in the area of the World Shield) If you could look down at Mystara from above the north pole, and if the large clouds of fog and mist that cover the poles were not present, you could see clear through to the other opening with a tiny red sun that never moves or sets in the middle.

Mystara has two moons, known to Mystarans proper as Patera and Matera. Patera is like our own moon; a desert-like wasteland save for the pocket plane anchored to it that contains Pandius, the city of the Immortals. Matera cannot be seen by the naked eye outside its atmosphere, rendering it invisible. The inhabitants of the moon - oriental rakasata - call it Myoshima. And yes, unlike the poster above said, Patera is visible, Matera is not. You can't see Pandius, however, because its in a different planar space.

As for the rest of Mystara's planetary cosmology, it isn't really defined. The old gold box Immortal Rules used standard Earth planets (minus, IIRC, Mercury and Pluto, plus Damocles, a doomed planet that exists in the location of the current astroid belt near Mars, and Charon, a far distant, cold world further away than Pluto will be when Damocles explodes and portions of it become Pluto and Mercury). Since "Earth" was present and not Mystara, its unlikely that planetary cosmology was carried over into the final revision of OD&D or AD&D. What IS known, however, is in 2e sense Mystara was part of a different dimension separate from all other AD&D worlds because 1) it had Immortals instead of gods and 2) it did not support the Great Wheel planar cosmology of the multiverse.

Last edited:

Remove ads