Homebrew vs. Premade Campaign Worlds

shouit

Explorer
I have been wondering how many people actually invent their own worlds or who uses a premade campaign world? I was also wondering if people only used part or most of the campaign world stuff out there? Also what determines your decision on matter? Do you not like the current offering of campaign worlds?

This is something I have been wondering what others do. Currently I am trying to use Scarred Lands. I was torn between homebrew or SL and I chose SL because of time. I thought it was one of the more interesting ones on the market. Want to look at Gothos though and never been much of a fan of FR, even though I have the main book.

Thanks..

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I prefer my own homebrew worlds because I have a great grasp of how it all hangs together (having made it)

That said, if I weret o use a premade setting, it would be Scarred lands.

Psion

Adventurer
Make mine homebrew!

I've always primarily been a homebrewer. I just feel a little cramped and confined in a published setting*... like I have to be faithful to the author's vision and like my ideas don't belong. Yeah, I know you can twist and distort a published setting, but I feel like it hangs together as well unless I put together a world with my ideas from the ground up.

I will, however, liberally steal ideas from other settings, recasting and redesigning things so they fit in my game.

* - the only exception being settings that are VERY open to my own ideas, like Planescape.

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
I use both, depending on mood. Different settings have different properties, and sometimes we get into a mood for a Greyhawk game, sometimes a Forgotten Realms game, sometimes a Camathria game (my friends world), and sometimes an Alterra game (my world).

bwgwl

First Post
i almost exclusively homebrew, especially for D&D. every once in a while, i'll find a game whose setting i like (In Nomine, Star Wars), but for the most part i want to do it myself.

i actually prefer worldbuilding to running games, so homebrew is pretty much a no-brainer for me.

like others have mentioned, i too feel a little bit too constrained when DMing someone else's world. it might not be rational, but the feeling is always there.

another thing that has especially turned me off of using published settings is when you get a player that knows the setting better than you do, or throws fits if you change anything from "canon." it's just annoying.

also, AFAIK, there isn't any published 3e setting that has the elements i want for my next campaign world. so homebrew is, again, the only way to go for me.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Re: Make mine homebrew!

Psion said:
I've always primarily been a homebrewer. I just feel a little cramped and confined in a homebrew... like I have to be faithful to the author's vision and like my ideas don't belong. Yeah, I know you can twist and distort a published setting, but I feel like it hangs together as well unless I put together a world with my ideas from the ground up.

I will, however, liberally steal ideas from other settings, recasting and redesigning things so they fit in my game.
I'll just ditto all of that.

The only times when I've used published settings as a whole it's been highly adaptable worlds like Planescape, WoD and SW.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Homebrew, of course.

IMC, no player can tell me what is right and what is not. No player can tell me what happened, and what did not happen (except within the bounds of the game/campaign thus far). No player can tell me who the ruler of a region is, what a landmark in a certain area should look like, or what races and other such stuff should be available in a certain place.

IMC, I get to make all those decisions. I can even change things mid-game, if it's in a location the players haven't been to or heard of yet - heck, I can even change things the players are aware of in the middle of the game if I have a good reason!

In my homebrew, I make all the decisions. I get to say what goes, and what doesn't, and I have a guarantee that no player will tell me that my changes or my rules don't work because it isn't in some published, "official" work.

IMC, if there is a hole that needs to be filled, I get to choose how to fill it. If there is new material released, I get to choose how to implement it. I am not restricted to what is put out by the maker of the campaign setting.

Black Omega

First Post
Premade with adjustments. My present campaign is Rokugan put into the Kara-tur part of Forgotten Realms. It's probably needing more adjustment than I've given it so far, but it's working pretty well.

My game before this was modern horror using the world of Anita Black, novels by Laurell K Hamilton. That worked pretty well also. Of course, I've only run one fantasty campaign, the present one, so I've rarely had much of a need for totally homebrew worlds.

rounser

First Post
Both have their advantages...

I prefer to focus on true campaign building blocks (plotlines, adventures, NPCs, locations, encounters and villains) rather than worldbuilding, which for me often constitutes too much time investment for too little gameplay return. There's already too much to do without outlining setting features halfway around the world that, realistically, most of which the players will probably never encounter, interact with nor care about.

When homebrewing, I prefer to map out the campaign structure and adventures first, and design the setting to support and enhance those themes. This has taken the form in the past of grabbing a stack of Dungeon magazine adventures I want to run and sketching in the terrain and urban areas they'll need on a map the size of an A4 page, only developing the rest of the setting in the form of a few rumours of empires of giants across the sea and such. IMO, this "adventure heavy, setting lite" style is preferable to "setting heavy, adventure lite" which many DMs prefer to focus on, such as in a campaign I'm currently playing in. I know a lot of other people try to shoehorn campaign structure around a setting they've already developed rather than design the setting specifically to meet campaign needs. This seems somewhat back-to-front to me, unless the setting serves as a source of inspiration that outweighs the potential restrictions it places on campaign composition.

As Psion points out, this is also what is being done when you use someone's published world and do your best to stay true to it - placing the setting's needs before those of the campaign, which is again somewhat back-to-front unless the setting adds to campaign inspiration to an extent that it outweighs inflexibility. For me, the compromise lies in setting the campaign in an underdeveloped part of a published campaign world. There are enough cracks in the detail to fill in within that locality to enable molding the setting to suit adventure and campaign needs (so effectively you're semi-homebrewing) yet there is no need to worry about developing the wider world and setting flavour - that work has been done for you. So long as your campaign structure and themes fit the setting (which is usually relatively easy to do in fairly generic D&D settings such as FR or GH), you can have your cake and eat it - to an extent.

Last edited:

bwgwl

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
IMC, I get to make all those decisions. I can even change things mid-game, if it's in a location the players haven't been to or heard of yet - heck, I can even change things the players are aware of in the middle of the game if I have a good reason!

heh, i hear ya. about halfway through my last campaign, i decided to unilaterally increase the height of all gnomes, halflings, and goblins by 6". the PCs just woke up the next morning and those races were all taller -- and everyone remembered it always being that way...

heh. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases