Noble Core Class

Bront

The man with the probe
I was looking for a noble class, and didn't find anything that fit quite right. So, I put one togeather myself. Any suggestions, tips, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I want it fairly well balanced with the other core classes.

Noble
Hit Die: d8.
Class Skills
The aristocrat’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language, Swim (Str), and Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table: The Noble
Code:
[B]Level	BAB    		Fort    Ref    Will     Special[/B]
1st	+0		+0	+0	+2	Influence +1
2nd	+1		+0	+0	+3	Special Ability
3rd	+2		+1	+1	+3	Coordinate +1
4th	+3		+1	+1	+4	Special Ability
5th	+3		+1	+1	+4	Influence +2
6th	+4		+2	+2	+5	Special Ability
7th	+5		+2	+2	+5	Coordinate +2
8th	+6/+1		+2	+2	+6	Special Ability
9th	+6/+1		+3	+3	+6	Influence +3
10th	+7/+2		+3	+3	+7	Special Ability
11th	+8/+3		+3	+3	+7	Coordinate +3
12th	+9/+4		+4	+4	+8	Special Ability
13th	+9/+4		+4	+4	+8	Influence +4
14th	+10/+5		+4	+4	+9	Special Ability
15th	+11/+6/+1	+5	+5	+9	Coordinate +4
16th	+12/+7/+2	+5	+5	+10	Special Ability
17th	+12/+7/+2	+5	+5	+10	Influence +5
18th	+13/+8/+3	+6	+6	+11	Special Ability
19th	+14/+9/+4	+6	+6	+11	Coordinate +5
20th	+15/+10/+5	+6	+6	+12	Special Ability

Class Features
The following is a class feature of the Noble class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Noble is proficient in the use of all simple, his choice of 2 martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and all shields (except tower shields).

Influence: The Noble gains a circumstance bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks when the noble’s affiliation might effect the situation. This bonus starts at +1 at first level, and increases by 1 every 4 levels thereafter (5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th).

Coordinate: A noble is skilled at getting people to work together. When the noble can aid others and give directions, he can give a bonus to the task at hand. This bonus is in addition to the normal aid bonus (+2). This bonus starts out at +1 at 3rd level, and increases by an additional +1 every 4 levels thereafter. This ability can't be used to assist in combat.

Special Ability: Every other level starting at 2nd, the Noble gains a special ability. This ability can be selected from the list below. Some special abilities require the noble to be at least a certain level or have other special abilities. Abilities granted by other classes can be used to fill requirements for Noble special abilities.
Note about special abilities: Any feats that modify similar special abilities in different classes can be taken and adapted to fit the Noble class (Such as Feats that modify Inspire Courage). Any special abilities that mirror feats or other class features can be used in place of those feats or special abilities for qualifying for prestiege classes or other feats. If there is a particular special ability a noble wishes to take that is not listed, the GM and player are invited to work out the exact benifits, requirements, and availability of such a special ability. The GM has final say on the availability of any special ability either listed or not listed.

Bonus Feat:
The Noble may select a bonus feat instead of a special ability every 4th level (4,8,12,16,20). The Noble must be able to qualify for the feat normally. This may be selected multiple times.

Bonus Class Skills:
A Noble may select 3 skills to become a bonus class skill for the Noble class. This does not grant any ranks in the skill, nor does it give back any skill points in the skill previously spent as cross class. This may be selected multiple times.

Call in a Favor:
A noble may select the ability to call in favors. This can allow the noble to gain access to information he might normally not be allowed to get, gain passage to places he might normally be allowed to go, gain access to equipment or resources without otherwise paying for it, or anything else the DM might find appropriate.

Evasion (Ex):
Requires: Uncanny Dodge special ability
A Noble with the Evasion special ability can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
Requires: Minimum 12th Level, Uncanny Dodge special ability
A Noble with this special ability can no longer be flanked.
This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at more rogue levels than the target does.
If a character already has uncanny dodge or improved uncanny dodge from another class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Improved Leadership:
Requirements: Leadership Feat
A Noble can add his influence ability bonus to his leadership score. Also, when a noble uses his coordinate ability on his followers, the bonus is doubled.

Intense Training:
Nobles often have access to better and more intense training. All skill point gained at a level that this special ability are taken are doubled (class, int, and other). Skill points are still spent normally, with all normal restrictions applying.

Inspire Army (Ex):
Requires: Minimum 10th Level, Leadership Feat, Inspire Courage
A noble who selects this ability may use the inspire courage ability to inspire an army (not simply allies). The DC check becomes 10 + 1 per 100 people addressed, and the bonus lasts for 1 hour per noble level, plus the noble’s charisma bonus. The morale bonus granted is the same as the one granted my the noble’s inspire courage ability. At 18th level (and above), this ability may be selected again to change the DC to 10 + 1 per 500 people addressed.

Inspire Courage (Ex):
Requires: Minimum 4th level
A noble who selects this ability can inspire courage in his companions. To do so, the he makes a perform: oratory check as a full round action with a DC of 10 + number of people the noble is trying to inspire. Those inspired gain a +1 morale bonus to hit, damage, and saves for a number of rounds equal to the noble’s level + his charisma bonus. To do this, a noble must be visible (not hiding or invisible, though not necessarily seen), audible (must be heard by the targets), and understandable (speaking a language the targets understand). This ability may be used 3 + Cha bonus times per day. A noble can select this ability again at 10th (and above) and 16th (and above) levels to gain an additional +1 to the morale bonus (up to a total of +3).

Skill Competence:
A Noble may select 2 skills and gain a +2 competence bonus. This bonus may stack with any other competence bonuses (from feats, items, ect). This ability may be selected multiple times, but you may not select the same skill twice to benifit from this.

Swift Tracker (Ex):
Requirements: Minimum 12th level, Tracking feat.
A noble can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal –5 penalty. He takes only a –10 penalty (instead of the normal –20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Tracking:
The noble gains the Tracking feat. This is an exception to the normal restrictions regarding feats in that this feat can be selected at any level as a normal special ability.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
Requires: Minimum 6th level
A Noble who selects this feat can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. He retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Warrior’s Training:
A noble with the Warrior’s Training special ability gains proficiency with all martial weapons, heavy armor, and the tower shield.
To call in a favor, you make a favor check, with is a D20, + Chr mod + Influence Bonus. The DC of the favor is set by the GM, generally between 10 and 25. A DC 10 is something fairly simple to fulfill (Housing for a night, a small amount of equipment or gold, fairly easy to obtain information), while a DC 25 is quite difficult (Information known only to few in the world, hard to come by equipment, simple requests from an enemy you have a blood feud with). You may request one favor per week per one half your character level (Rounded down). You may not request a favor through the same channels (Contact or organization)

Wealth:
Generally, a noble has access to greater wealth than other characters. Every level, including the level the noble selects this ability, the Noble is given access to an additional 200 G.P. per level that is placed in a resource pool. This pool may only be used to acquire gear, land, or other resources available in an area where the noble has influence. Any money not used remains in the pool, and can be built up as the noble gains levels. This represents the Noble’s access to money and income, and can be replaced if there is some other system for this in place approved by the GM.

Well Connected:
Requires: Call in Favors
You gain a +2 to your favor check. You may select this special ability multiple times, each time granting an additional +2 to your favor check.

I think it works. There are a few different class abilities that were borrowed from other classes, but I think it is fairly flexable, and doesn't step on any other classes toes.

Edit 5-12-05: Added Coordinate Ability, tweeked Improved Leadership ability

Edit 5-14-05: Lowered Skill Points by 2, Removed Spot, Listen, Disguise, and Handle Animal from Class Skill List. Added Intense Training special ability.

Edit 5-17-05: Added Handle Animal back in.

Edit 5-18-05: Moved Wealth to the special ability section

Edit 8-25-05: Added note about special abilities.

Edit 6-21-06: Hopefully final revision. Added notes on uses for abilities.

Edit 7-29-06: Doh! Missed the good Reflex save, which should have been Bad. Fixed.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Bront said:
I was looking for a noble class, and didn't find anything that fit quite right. So, I put one togeather myself. Any suggestions, tips, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I want it fairly well balanced with the other core classes.

I think it works. There are a few different class abilities that were borrowed from other classes, but I think it is fairly flexable, and doesn't step on any other classes toes.

Here it is, reprinted as above, but legible:

Noble
Hit Die: d8.
Class Skills
The aristocrat’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language, Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Table: The Rogue Aristocrat
Code:
[u]
L   BAB   F / R / W  Special[/u]
1   +0   +0 /+2 /+2  Influence +1, Wealth
2   +1   +0 /+3 /+3  Special Ability
3   +2   +1 /+3 /+3  
4   +3   +1 /+4 /+4  Special Ability
5   +3   +1 /+4 /+4  Influence +2
6   +4   +2 /+5 /+5  Special Ability
7   +5   +2 /+5 /+5  
8   +6   +2 /+6 /+6  Special Ability
9   +6   +3 /+6 /+6  Influence +3
10  +7   +3 /+7 /+7  Special Ability
11  +8   +3 /+7 /+7  
12  +9   +4 /+8 /+8  Special Ability
13  +9   +4 /+8 /+8  Influence +4
14  +10  +4 /+9 /+9  Special Ability
15  +11  +5 /+9 /+9  
16  +12  +5 /+10/+10 Special Ability
17  +12  +5 /+10/+10 Influence +5
18  +13  +6 /+11/+11 Special Ability
19  +14  +6 /+11/+11 
20  +15  +6 /+12/+12 Special Ability

Class Features
The following is a class feature of the Noble class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Noble is proficient in the use of all simple, his choice of 2 martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and all shields (except tower shields).

Influence: The Noble gains a circumstance bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks when the noble’s affiliation might effect the situation. This bonus starts at +1 at first level, and increases by 1 every 4 levels thereafter (5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th).

Wealth: Generally, a noble has access to greater wealth than other characters. Every level, the Noble is given access to an additional 200 G.P. per level that is placed in a resource pool. This pool may only be used to acquire gear, land, or other resources available in an area where the noble has influence. Any money not used remains in the pool, and can be built up as the noble gains levels. This represents the Noble’s access to money and income, and can be replaced if there is some other system for this in place approved by the GM.

Special Ability: Every other level starting at 2nd, the Noble gains a special ability. This ability can be selected from the list below. Some special abilities require the noble to be at least a certain level or have other special abilities. Abilities granted by other classes can be used to fill requirements for Noble special abilities.

Bonus Feat:
The Noble may select a bonus feat instead of a special ability. The Noble must be able to qualify for the feat normally. This may be selected multiple times.

Bonus Class Skill:
A Noble may select a skill to become a bonus class skill for the Noble class. This does not grant any ranks in the skill, nor does it give back any skill points in the skill previously spent as cross class. This may be selected multiple times.

Call in a Favor:
A noble may select the ability to call in a favor. This can allow the noble to gain access to information he might normally not be allowed to get, gain passage to places he might normally be allowed to go, gain access to equipment or resources without otherwise paying for it, or anything else the DM might find appropriate. Favors do not expire, and can be used openly (Who the favor is owed from is not determined until when it is used). A noble may select this special ability multiple times and have multiple favors owed to him.

Inspire Courage (Ex):
Requires: Minimum 4th level
A noble who selects this ability can inspire courage in his companions. To do so, the he makes a perform: oratory check as a full round action with a DC of 10 + number of people the noble is trying to inspire. Those inspired gain a +1 morale bonus to hit, damage, and saves for a number of rounds equal to the noble’s level + his charisma bonus. To do this, a noble must be visible (not hiding or invisible, though not necessarily seen), audible (must be heard by the targets), and understandable (speaking a language the targets understand). A noble can select this ability again at 10th and 16th levels to gain an additional +1 to the morale bonus (up to a total of +3)

Inspire Army (Ex):
Requires: Minimum 10th Level, Leadership Feat, Inspire Courage
A noble who selects this ability may use the inspire courage ability to inspire an army (not simply allies). The DC check becomes 10 + 1 per 100 people addressed, and the bonus lasts for 1 hour per noble level, plus the noble’s charisma bonus. The morale bonus granted is the same as the one granted my the noble’s inspire courage ability. At 18th level, this ability may be selected again to change the DC to 10 + 1 per 500 people addressed.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
Requires: Minimum 6th level
A Noble who selects this feat can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. He retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Evasion (Ex):
Requires: Uncanny Dodge special ability
A Noble with the Evasion special ability can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
Requires: Minimum 12th Level, Uncanny Dodge special ability
A Noble with this special ability can no longer be flanked.
This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at more rogue levels than the target does.
If a character already has uncanny dodge or improved uncanny dodge from another class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Swift Tracker (Ex):
Requirements: Minimum 12th level, Tracking feat.
A noble can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal –5 penalty. He takes only a –10 penalty (instead of the normal –20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Improved Leadership:
Requirements: Leadership Feat
A Noble can add his influence ability bonus to his leadership score.

Warrior’s Training:
A noble with the Warrior’s Training special ability gains proficiency with all martial weapons, heavy armor, and the tower shield.

Comments once I've actually read it.

-- N

anton1066

First Post
The list of speacial abilities is the only thing I would change. I would take out swift tracker because it makes little sinse and they dont have wilderness lore as a class ability. The warriors training seems a bit too good. Call in a Favor i think would be better if it required a check to use, maybe with the influence bonus added? As a player I would never take it the way it is because it is a one use class abilitym. If you made it require a check then I would allow the class to use it once a month or once per adventure.

Bront

The man with the probe
Didn't realize it got screwed up as much as it did. Fixed it. Thanks Nifft.

Survival is needed for tracking, not wilderness Lore. Wilderness Lore is not a skill in 3.5 (It's survival now).

I saw a few similar one shot mechanics in a few other books with a noble or other class. It seemed somewhat viable, but I can understand not liking the one shot nature of it. Realy depends on how much you get out of it. If you can think of a better mechanic for it, please let me know.

I used the Aristocrat and Rouge as a template for it (Seemed about right), the Aristocrat is normaly proficient with all weapons, armor, and shield. With everything else, that seemed a bit too much, so I figured it would be a special ability to fill those back in. Keep in mind, that many, but not all, nobles were trained in martial combat, so making them spend more than 1 special ability on it seemed a bit too much. If you compair the class to the Fighter, at 2nd level, you're missing 2 feats, down a die size, and got a slightly lower BAB, but you get the social and skill bonuses. I think it balances out well myself.

anton1066

First Post
I would do somthing like...
Favor:
A noble may select this ability to call in favors. In order to use this ability, the DM sets a DC for the favor and the noble must make a favor check (1d20+influence bonus). The check result determines the level of success. A noble can use this ability a number of times per month equal to his Cha mod. Example: The PCs are trying to get into a very exclusive Inn and the noble of the party uses his favor ability to get them in. The DM rules that this is a pretty easy thing to grant so he sets the Favor DC at 10. The PC roles really badly and gets a 10, just barley enough to make the check. The DM then informs the players that our nobles connections have managed to let the PCs into the inn working as bar maids.

Bront

The man with the probe
That works better for smaller favors. I had been pondering larger ones ("Dad? Can I barrow the army?" perhaps "I need this political prisoner set free" or something), and smaller ones were likely more RP and diplomacy checks. That's the problem with being vague though.

I think I would limit it to a fixed number of times (2-3 a month, maybe once a week), and add my Chr bonus to the check (It's not just that you ask, it's HOW you ask), and then allow the ability to be taken additional times to gain more uses of your influence a month. Maybe even add your level, so once your influence grows as you level up in noble (or increase your number of attempts per month by your level), though I guess your influence score does do that already.

Or, I could build a bit of a tree out of it, making it someting small when you first take it, and then letting it become something bigger (or giving additional +5 bonuses, and making a general table, so they have a better chance at getting something bigger)

BTW, are Inspire Courage and Inspire Army described well enough that it's obvious that you can't use Inspire Army on your adventuring buddies? The idea is that Inspire Army is more of a mass combat advantage, which I think works fairly well, though I'm not sure since I've never done mass combat in D20. I think I should have set the time to inspire Mass Army to longer (10 min? 30 Min?), which might help a bit.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Favors & Wealth: Consider using a system like the Exalted "Resource Dot" system, or some other abstract wealth mechanic. Alternately, consider using a Bardic Lore style mechanic.

Resource Dot: Assign a DC (based on cost and local availability) to any mundane resource -- staying at an inn, eating, horses, etc. Make a check once per month or once per location, and you can have anything under that DC, within reason ("horses for my party!" is within reason, once per month or so, while "horses for my army!" is not, unless you're in the Free Plains of the Rich Horse Lords and you got a very high check).

Bardic Lore: "We need to book passage on a boat? Let me ask my uncle's friend, he deals with some shipping concerns..." -- basically, make a check when you need something, and upon success you find an appropriate NPC whose initial attitude is Helpful. This should work about as often as Bardic Lore.

The former is a lot of work initially, and some modifiers each month or location, but you could probably publish it. ;) The latter is more arbitrary. I don't personally feel like I've got a good handle on how Bardic Lore should work...

-- N

Bront

The man with the probe
Thanks, I think I'll redesign the Call in a Favor, give some general sample DCs, and make it reusable on a longer time frame.

Any other suggestions are apreciated as well, as well as suggested DCs given the die roll will likely be D20+Chr+Level (instead of influence)

Horses for my party - 12
Warhorses for my party - 20
Horses for my army - 40 (assuming that many are even available)
Warhorses for my army - 70
Warhorses and an army - 100

I do like the wealth mechanic, because basicly it forces the noble to be home (or at least somewhere where he can say "Bill my estate") to get it, and it becomes less of an issue at higher levels (as of about level 4, it's not that big compaired to average wealth, and a noble isn't supposed to be average).

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
A DC of 100 seems to be in the high epic range. More "dragon mounts for my army" than "warhorses for my army".

I guess you want to think what should be a routine task (can you take 10 on the check?) for a character of a given level. Or what should be very difficult but just barely possible (a 19 or 20).

I'm really not the person to ask for precise DCs, though. Just that some of the high DCs seem very high.

Remove ads