• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Noble Core Class

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Bront said:
Not sure I follow you on what you mean here. There is a leadership bonus already, you mean having coordinate trickle down to leadership? or use it to help leadership?

When you're using Coordinate on your Followers, the bonuses are doubled.

Thus, your (low-level) squires & leigemen would work relatively better under your direction than your (same-level) party members.

Makes Followers somewhat more useful. I'd expect it to mostly allow decent Craft & Profession checks.

-- N

Bront

The man with the probe
Vonlok-
You can't be proficient with heavy armor without being proficient with light. There is NO class that is built like that. That's what the warrior's training is for, to allow a noble to be trained in jousting, and heavy armor, and that's why it's a class special ability (Particularly because not all nobles need or have it). So you have to wait till 2nd level to get it, not a big deal.

Glad you like the class though.

Nifft -
Ahh, I like that. You think it works better as a selectable ablity? Maybe added to the Improved Leadership ability? Or just built into coordinate?

I was thinking of coordinate starting at +1 at 3rd, and going up +1 every 4 levels after that. The result is that there are no dead levels for the Noble (IE, no non-special ability gains), and it's not a unbalancing power.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Here's a variant version of the Noble Class I use IMC at the moment, it's a nice combo between the DL noble (aka SW noble!) and the Marhsal class in the MiniHB. I don't think I can post all of the text about the marhsal's auras (copyright?) so here's a cut version of my full write-up just in case with the class table in a short word.doc. Just refer to the marshal class for the aura stuff. If someone wants the full write-up I can always email the beastie.

Last edited:

Vonlok The Bold

First Post
Bront said:
Vonlok-
You can't be proficient with heavy armor without being proficient with light. There is NO class that is built like that. That's what the warrior's training is for, to allow a noble to be trained in jousting, and heavy armor, and that's why it's a class special ability (Particularly because not all nobles need or have it). So you have to wait till 2nd level to get it, not a big deal.

Glad you like the class though.
Your explanation makes sense. It works for me.

I like the class a lot, not just because I would want to play it, but because I can see a need for it, and would add to some good role playing.

Bront

The man with the probe
Vonlok The Bold said:
Your explanation makes sense. It works for me.

I like the class a lot, not just because I would want to play it, but because I can see a need for it, and would add to some good role playing.

Thanks, if you use it, let me know.

The NPC aristocrat is ok, but a PC needs more flavor, and I like how this works, and it lets different noble traditions be different (A plate wearing jousting noble, a lithe swashbuckling noble, a strong leading noble, or any combination.)

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, I added Coordinate and tweeked Improved Leadership so it allows for Coordinate to work better on followers.

Now, is it a bit too powerful?

I pondered removing Spot, Listen, Handle Animal, and Forgery as class skills, and possibly removing 2 skill points.

Input please.

Bront

The man with the probe
Bront said:
I pondered removing Spot, Listen, Handle Animal, and Forgery as class skills, and possibly removing 2 skill points.

Ok, I think I'm done. I removed Spot, Listen, Handle Animal, and Disguise (Decided Forgery was appropriate), and removed 2 skill points. But, I added Intense Training as a special ability, which should help allow a noble to emulate lots of skill training.

Nerax

First Post
I think it looks perty good, a little strong but still decent, I would just swap out survival for handle animal or disguise. I don't see a snobish noble being able to survive in the wilderness but having disguise so that they could mingle with the peasent folk or being trained as falconeers or handling horses. I would also take out the special abilities at 6th, 12th and 18th. The reason is you get feats already on those levels and also by 20th level you could get almost all of the special abilities you have listed....you have 14 special abilities listed but if you don't take the extra feat or skill points abilities you have 10 others so by level 20 you have all 10. Even if they took just all the special abilities as feats they would have just as many (or very close to) feats as the fighter. My two cents ;)

Nerax

Bront

The man with the probe
Nerax said:
I think it looks perty good, a little strong but still decent, I would just swap out survival for handle animal or disguise. I don't see a snobish noble being able to survive in the wilderness but having disguise so that they could mingle with the peasent folk or being trained as falconeers or handling horses. I would also take out the special abilities at 6th, 12th and 18th. The reason is you get feats already on those levels and also by 20th level you could get almost all of the special abilities you have listed....you have 14 special abilities listed but if you don't take the extra feat or skill points abilities you have 10 others so by level 20 you have all 10. Even if they took just all the special abilities as feats they would have just as many (or very close to) feats as the fighter. My two cents ;)

Nerax

My thought on Disguise or Handle animal, is that generaly a noble goes for specific training to handle the animal (he hires a stable master, ect), and the disguise amonst the people thing is a rareity, so if they want that, they can take extra class skills as an ability and get them. I can see your arguement though, and It may not hurt to let them back in as a class skill.

And yes, there are almost as many noble "feats" as fighter feats, but if you compare them to a fighter, the fighter ends up with at least 1 more feat, free heavy armor and martial weapons, a bigger HD, and a better BAB. As a noble, you do get the extra high save, 2 more skill points, and a few other special abilities but that seems fairly balanced to me. Plus, you don't get access to specialization.

I am begining to ponder the wealth Mechanic, and perhaps putting that in as a special ability instead. That might balance it out just a bit more...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I agree that Disguise should not be in -- if you want that, go for the full Rogue Prince(ss) cliche and take a level or two of Rogue. Handle Animal -- who cares? It's really not a great skill. I'd put it in just because there were many Nobles who had lots of dogs, giant cats, etc. -- having beasts obey your natural majesty is a staple of the Noble.

-- N

Remove ads