[FULL] Star Wars D20 Revised Episode III - Episode IV

Ambrus

Explorer
Nephytus, I'm going to assume you're sticking with your choice of playing a Force adept rather than a Jedi. Let's try to work on the specifics now.

Alter seems more well-rounded, combining both offensive, support and diplomacy bonuses. I'll pick that as my first Force Training feat. If I get a second FTF (as I noticed Toric's character got) I'll choose Sense.

As a 3rd level force adept, you do indeed get your choice of your second force skill feat at 2nd level (the last one you'll gain at 4th level). Also, at third level, you gain a bonus feat which you must choose from among this list: Alertness, Animal Affinity, Endurance, Frightful Presence, Link, Mind Trick, Mimic, Stealthy and Track (you get to choose another feat again at 3rd, 9th, 14th and 20th level). You're probably familiar with some of these feats which are the same as their D&D counterparts. You can't yet take frightful presence because you don't meet its prerequisites; Link is a force feat that will improve the Farseeing and telepathy skills and Mind trick is a force feat that will improve the affect mind and illusion skills.

Naturally, you'll also get two regular feats for your 1st and 3rd character levels and perhaps a bonus feat for being human.

So far your feats include:
Sense
Weapon Group Proficiency (primitive weapons)
Weapon Group Proficiency (simple weapons)

Okay, back to skills...

What skills would I focus on... It's not easy to choose when I don't know what they do, but here's an unqualified guess: Affect Mind, Heal Other, Move Object, Enhance Senses, Telepathy.

First off, most force skills are fueled by the sacrifice of your vitality points. The bigger the effect, the bigger the vitality cost. Asside from that, they are rolled against DCs like most other skills. As a Force Adept, you gain 6 skill points per level (plus Int and races bonuses)

Affect mind will alter a target's perceptions or implant a suggestion in his mind.
Heal Other, surprise, heals other creatures' wounds, either vitality or wound damage.
Move Object allows you to use the force to move objects or creatures.
Enhance sense grants a temporary force bonus to Listen, Spot, Sense motive and Search checks.
Telepathy permits a brief transmission of a single word and emotion to a target at variable range.

I'm guessing Drain Energy, Force Grip, force Lightning and Force Strike are similar in use and I would have to know what kind of damage they can do before choosing between them.

It's hard to quantify these powers since they all have different ranges, saving throws, number of opponents and damage potential.
Drain energy taps the dark side to siphon away the energy of electronic devices including weapon power packs and droids but excluding things with big fusion reactors.
Force grip taps the dark side to injure an opponent with crushing force (3d6).
Force lighting taps the dark side to bathe an area in dark energy (3d8).
Force strike taps the dark side to deal damage to multiple opponents (3d4).

Are they all Dark Side skills?

Yup. :uhoh:

And what side-effects does that have?

You gain a dark side point each time you use one. Dark side points are bad. I'll let Shadowbloodmoon introduce you to the consequences. :]

Thanks a lot for your help.

Heh. Don't thank me until you get my bill. :cool:

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Hi guys... I did a little more reading Ambrus, and I guess you're right. Now that really makes no sense why they would include so many redundant systems in such a tiny droid. Especially when equipment bonuses don't stack. I have the same Gamer mag around here somewhere, but if you want to go with that, that's fine with me. It would give you a better handle on things, I think, even though it is much more expensive. Oh and thanks for the thread link. It's proving to be interesting... From reading though, I'm curious enough to wonder if the holoprojector is meant for tiny palm sized images and the image caster can create up to medium-size images....

Nephtys... Yes, Dark Side points are bad things, especially when I'm around. As far as finishing up your character make sure you have the following;

Attributes: 28 point buy, modified by race.
Wound Points: equal to your Constitution score
Vitality Points: 17 + (3x Con bonus)
Force Points: You start with 2.
Skills: You also have Class skills to choose from besides Force skills, taken from the same pool of skill points. These are- Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge, Listen, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim and Treat Injury. I'm sure you're pretty familiar with these as they are standard d20 skills. Again, as Ambrus said, you start with (6+ Int)x 4 at first level and then additional 6 + Int each additional level. Also, if you chose to be Human, you get an additional 6 skill points to add to your total.

Feats: I believe Ambrus described these pretty well. Some of the standard feats from d20 are available as well, Alertness, Dodge, Power Attack, etc.

BAB at 3rd level: +2
Fort: +2
Ref: +2
Will: +3

Defense: +4

Credits: You would start with 3750 credits worth of equipment, and no, you don't get a lightsaber... As for equipment costs, Ambrus or I will get that to you as you need it.

Hopefully that will help you out.

Nephtys

First Post
Heh, maybe I'll have my character give yours a grease job once in a while. Maybe an occasional polishing. :D

Ok, so using the force drains your vitality and using Heal Self restores your vitality. Or just your wound points? If that's the case how does one regain vitality? Rest? Drugs?
-

I'm surprised a skill that drains energy out of non-living equipment would be considered Evil... But I guess self-defense could be construed as an act of Fear.
-

What about ability-scores? I can guess that the clairsentient powers involve Wisdom and the mind-affecting get a bonus from Charisma, but what about the others?
As a primary caster I'll need a high Intelligence for skill points, a high Constitution for vitality(?) and wound-points. Do the other stats affect the forcecasting significantly?
-

What does the bonus feat Mimic do? Is it a force feat, or one of those bonus-to-usual-skills-feats that I never bother with because they're a bit dull and underpowered?

-
Does using the Force to directly or indirectly cause damage in any way cause a character to gain a Dark Side point?
Does gaining dark side points eventually make the character unplayable (or not allowed to be played) or are the repercussions RP-based (I imagine it's a bit difficult to walk around in a Rebel base looking like Emperor Palpatine ;), though I imagine that would take years of evil behavior).
-

What are Force Points?

Last edited:

Galethorn

First Post
I'll anwer that last one (force points)...

Force points are like action points...they basically let you add some D6s to a d20 roll (among other things) and you can choose whether to draw them from the light side (less powerful at low levels, more powerful at high levels), or from the dark side (more powerful at low levels, less powerful at high levels, and gives you dark-side points).

Oh, and I posted my finished character on the RG thread.

Ambrus

Explorer
From reading though, I'm curious enough to wonder if the holoprojector is meant for tiny palm sized images and the image caster can create up to medium-size images....

I don't think the game-designers really thought about it too hard. JD Wiker himself admits that he doesn't know what an Imagecaster is. R2's holorecorder seems able to project up to medium sized images IIRC his projection of Luke for Jabba in ROTJ. The Imagecaster on the other hand actually has a maximum image size listed as 30 centimeters (roughly 1 foot). I'll probably just ignore the addition of the imagecaster as JD Wiker suggests since its redundant and not even a droid accessory in the first place.

I'll also use the arm accessory from the magazine, it sounds good to me.

I'll probably also swap out the audio and video recorders since a good holorecorder can already record and playback sights and sounds, that is unless you disagree. I'm sorry if this is turning out to be a pain for you. My original intention wasn't to completely redesign the DRK-1, its just that the person who wrote-up its stat block in the AE&G doesn't seem to have done a very good job. :(

So, how's about that Rogue's gallery?

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
I'll anwer that last one

Thanks Galethorn

Heh, maybe I'll have my character give yours a grease job once in a while. Maybe an occasional polishing.

I'm not sure if I want to receive a "greese job" from any organics... :p

Ok, so using the force drains your vitality and using Heal Self restores your vitality.

Heal self can heal vitality, wound or ability damage. The last two cost vitality, but the first is essentially free unless you fail your skill check.

If that's the case how does one regain vitality? Rest? Drugs?

A little of column A, a little of column B. ;)

I'm surprised a skill that drains energy out of non-living equipment would be considered Evil...

The effect isn't evil neccessarily, it's just that you have to tap into the dark side to disperse/destroy the energy in the device.

What about ability-scores? I can guess that the clairsentient powers involve Wisdom and the mind-affecting get a bonus from Charisma, but what about the others?
As a primary caster I'll need a high Intelligence for skill points, a high Constitution for vitality(?) and wound-points.

The Force Adept class description suggests that Intelligence and Wisdom are of primary importance and that Charisma could help boost interpersonal skills. Constitution is also useful for increasing your vitality pool.

Do the other stats affect the forcecasting significantly?

Not really, no.

What does the bonus feat Mimic do? Is it a force feat, or one of those bonus-to-usual-skills-feats that I never bother with because they're a bit dull and underpowered?

The latter. It improves disguise and perform checks.

Does using the Force to directly or indirectly cause damage in any way cause a character to gain a Dark Side point?

It depends on the circumstances and the DM, but most likely yes... :uhoh:

Does gaining dark side points eventually make the character unplayable (or not allowed to be played) or are the repercussions RP-based (I imagine it's a bit difficult to walk around in a Rebel base looking like Emperor Palpatine

It depends on the DM. ;)

though I imagine that would take years of evil behavior).

Ah, young padawan... you'd be surprised how fast you can become twisted by the dark side. Check out episode 3; you can time Sidious's and Vader's transformations on a stopwatch. :]

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
Ambrus said:
Thanks Galethorn

Yes, thanks. :)

Ambrus said:
I'm not sure if I want to receive a "greese job" from any organics... :p

You prefer lubricating yourself? ;)

Ambrus said:
Heal self can heal vitality, wound or ability damage. The last two cost vitality, but the first is essentially free unless you fail your skill check.

Hmm, then Heal self is a must have skill. The by far most practical way to regain "mana". Then maybe Control is a better feat choice than Sense, since hitting people with weapons is the only non-evil way to make an active contribution in combat without turning to the Dark Side.

Ambrus said:
Ah, young padawan... you'd be surprised how fast you can become twisted by the dark side. Check out episode 3; you can time Sidious's and Vader's transformations on a stopwatch. :]

But Sidiuos had been waste deep in evil for years, and so had Tyranus. I'm sure they must have used the Dark Side hundreds of times in their careers before turning ugly.
Point taken about Anakin, though. Maybe the Dark Side effects certain people worse than others irrespective of their relative usage of the power.

Last edited:

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
The DM for the Star Wars movies was lenient when it came to Dark Side Points..... As for using other weapons to fight, again, it depends on the circumstances. Though you don't have a Jedi code to follow, you can still be affected by Dark Side points just the same. Go too far and your character becomes mine..... After failing a huge Will save of course.

Anyway, Ambrus is right about most of the droids in that book. I think the designers went shopping... "This is cool... let's put this in... "

The Rogue's thread is here...

Everything seems to be coming along just fine. As soon as all the characters are in the Rogue's thread and approved, I'll post the first IC.

Nephtys

First Post
What ability scores are tied to the different Force skills? Does Force Stealth give a bonus to Hide or is it more like Invisibility?

Are there other force skills that have not been mentioned? I've seen a couple on Thorics character sheet. And what Feat are they under?

Does Battlemind give a bonus to to hit and damage or AC? In that case how much?

*What about Empathy?

(Sory for going back and editing, but I'm coming up with new questions as I go along creating my character. :))

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
What ability scores are tied to the different Force skills?

Constitution: Battlemind, Drain Energy, Enhance Ability
Intelligence: Force Grip, Force Lightning, Force Strike, Move Object
Wisdom: Empathy, Enhance Senses, Farseeing, Fear, Heal Another, See Force, Telepathy
Charisma: Affect Mind, Force Defense, Force Stealth, Friendship, Heal Self, Illusion

Does Force Stealth give a bonus to Hide or is it more like Invisibility?

Neither. It's used to hide your true nature from other force users with the See Force skill.

Are there other force skills that have not been mentioned? I've seen a couple on Thorics character sheet.

You've now got the full list above.

And what Feat are they under?

Those not previously mentioned are available with the Force Sensitive feat.

Does Battlemind give a bonus to to hit and damage or AC? In that case how much?

It grants a force bonus on attack rolls. How big a bonus depends on your skill check.

*What about Empathy?

What about it? The name says it all. It allows you to read a target's surface emotions.

(Sory for going back and editing, but I'm coming up with new questions as I go along creating my character. )

It'd probably be better to simply make new posts. This is why I contend that chatting in real time is easier and more efficient than posting back and forth. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads