Manager's Suck

DerianCypher

First Post
Okay.. just need to vent

So, I work at a major electronics retailer as an operations senior.. basically I count money and bring change to registers. So, I was getting in and I had to do a shift change and count in the change fund. Well, the person with the change fund and keys to the safe were no where to be found. So, I brought in what change was out and put it into the administration office (which is locked and only managers have keys too).

About 5 min later I find the person and bring them back to the office to count in the change fund.. and lo' the bag I just brought in with the money is gone. I start to panic and so does the other person.. we tear the office apart looking for it and can't find it. Finally, we let the GM know what's going on and he looks pissed off for obvious reasons. We call the Ops manager who just went to lunch. The GM basically asks what happened and the other person (technically my boss) hangs me out to dry. I own up to it and tell them exactly what I did, he says to tear the office apart and look again. The other person keeps assuring me that the money is there and one of the managers is playing a bad joke.

So, we tear the office apart and out of sheer luck I have the key to the HR files cabinet and I open it and a behold! the money bag. I about have a heart attack and let the GM know.. but he knows already. Apparently.. my manager had stumbled across it right after I had left the office and hid it to teach me a lesson.. although she had told me leaving change bags/drawers out was okay so long as no one was in the office.

shattered trust? yep. bad blood? yep. One pissed off employee? definately.

sigh.. managers suck

DC

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I worked at as a waiter for a while... I don't know about retail stores, but managers have to help everyone out in a restaurant. I liked to work longer shifts (ie, morning shift into the off-hour) to make extra money and one day we suddently got swamped. I asked the manager to get a glass of wine for me from the bar and she looks at me like I lost my mind. "A glass of the house red, please." "... You can't get it yourself?" "... No, that's why I asked you. I have about a dozen other things to do and you're sitting down, reading the news paper. May I please have some help?" She then throws a fit as she goes to the bar (I didn't care as long as I got what I needed), but she normally got sidetracked and took forever for simple tasks anyway.

I talked with one of the other managers about her (she was the lowest manager of three, I was pretty good friends with the assistant GM who was right above her. "Charles, why is Veronica a bad manager." "... Huh?" "Veronica. She's a horrible manager." "... Oh, yeah, she is. That's because she doesn't care about the job."

When people below you, people above you, and your peers think you're incompetent, it's a sign.

Edit: By the way, you reminded me of a site I thought you may be interested in (not exactly the same, but deals with morons anyway): http://www.customerssuck.com/

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
DerianCypher said:
Apparently.. my manager had stumbled across it right after I had left the office and hid it to teach me a lesson.. although she had told me leaving change bags/drawers out was okay so long as no one was in the office.

DC

If i was in your shoes, that ***** would have been eating my fist... if she was lucky. A face stomping is what you should have given her.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
If it was me, I would have gone over my bosses boss head about this. That stuff can really get you tainted and goes on your permanent employment record.

Turanil

First Post
In any case, never let money alone, especialy lots of money that are not yours and that you are responsible for. My father (very different situation) gots his bag (don't know of the exact word for that) stolen from a pickpocket (true professional one) when he believed it was safe. It did cost him more than 1000$ changing keys to appartments and such. For my part, I never leave anything precious alone, and I have always some part of my consciousness into my pockets when near people I don't know of (in the streets, etc.). Better being overcautious and paranoid than being robbed.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
I was working third watch at the police department, and I had to stay over into the first watch in order to switch into a new patrol car. I left my AR-15 rifle on the squad room table, in the care of two first watch patrol officers, while I prepped the new cruiser.

A detective captain came into the squad room and saw the rifle. He blew up and asked the two patrol officers what it was doing there. They flaked on me and told him that I had left it there, leaving out the fact that I had asked them to keep an eye on it.

The captain decides to take the rifle to the investigations section and hide it from me.

I come back in and ask the patrol officers what happened to my rifle, and they told me the captain took it. They did not know exactly what he had done with it.

I went and found the captain, and he had this smug look on his face as he asked me if I was looking for something. I said "no sir, I have come to report the felony theft of a firearm." I told him that some unknown person had taken my rifle with the intent to deprive me of it's use. That phrase is from our criminal statutes for theft. His smile faded and he started trying to tear into me for leaving my rifle unattended. I asked him if there were any officers in the room where he found my rifle, and if they knew who the rifle was assigned to. He seemed to realize that he had jumped to conclusions about me leaving the rifle, but he never did admit it. He returned the rifle, and did not issue a reprimand.

Now, eight years later, I am his immediate supervisor. :]

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Lhorgrim said:
Now, eight years later, I am his immediate supervisor. :]

And this, my friends, is the best lesson of all...

Be respectful to those you supervise, as they may be your boss someday.

GlassJaw

Hero
If i was in your shoes, that ***** would have been eating my fist... if she was lucky. A face stomping is what you should have given her.

Dude, are you for real? Oh how EN World needs a roll-eyes smiley.

Okay.. just need to vent

Honestly, while you might have been upset at what happened, everything got fixed in the end. Your ego might have been bruised a bit but hey, don't take it personally. Remember, you can't choose the people you work with.

spatha

First Post
I have done it and would do it again. Sorry when I am a manager and an employee leaves cash laying around I am going to teach them a leason. Moral of the story the cash is your responsibilty never let it out of your sight unless locked in an area no one else has access to, or has been handed over and is no longer your responsibility.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases